I Have a Problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BoydDroid

I Have a Problem

Post by BoydDroid »

I've been a knife guy all my life. I buy a knife every year or so, I don't collect them per se, I carry and use them. I've bought several brands over the years, but I've never liked Spyderco. I didn't like the blade shape mostly. I think I have a problem with knives. I've bought 3 knives in the last year. When I saw the Smock I liked it and started looking at it and other Spyderco knives. I ultimately decided not to get a Smock. It looked fun to play with but there are things I don't like.

But I decided I did like the Manix 2. For a couple weeks I studied them. To make a long story longer...I have ordered a Manix 2, Brown G10, M390 black blade. I never thought it would happen to me.

I think I have a knife problem.
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Manix 2 - Brown G-10 - M390 - DLC Blade - C101GPBNBK2
Manix 2 - Red G-10 - CPM 20CV - C101GPRD2
PM2 - Purple G-10 Cruwear
Smock - CPM S30CV

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't" Mark Twain
sal

Re: I Have a Problem

Post by sal »

Hi BoydDroid,

Welcome to our forum.

Most of us begin our attraction to knives based on appearance. As we learn more and more about the world of knives and then other sharp things, we seem to have a shift in out thinking. I hope you enjoy you Manix 2. I think a few that hang here have might share your "problem". Good choice, by the way.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum BoydDroid!

I always thought Spyderco knives looked weird too until I began using and carrying them. Now any knife without a big hole in the blade looks weird. :p :D
Let us know what you think of the Manix! That's one model I've never owned before yet.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
ThermalAdvancement

Post by ThermalAdvancement »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:14 am
I always thought Spyderco knives looked weird too until I began using and carrying them. Now any knife without a big hole in the blade looks weird.
Same here, I was not sure what to make of the appearance of Spyderco knives at first. Then I tried one.... Now I have 42 of them....
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Welcome!
And get ready hah
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

1 every year? I bought 8 benchmades in the last 2 months... Haha! Welcome to the club!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hi, my name is Darby and I am a knifeaholic.

Honestly, there are worse things than liking knives. There are definitely worse things to spend your money on. As long as the bills are getting paid I wouldn’t call it a problem.

What knife are you buying next? :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You haven't been around here long enough...one knife a year is far from a problem. Most around here get one a month! Especially when there's a burst of sprints/exclusives. Dangerous place to be haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Welcome BD! My name is Matt and I too am a knifeaholic. It's been 3 days since my last knife purchase :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:09 am
Hi BoydDroid,

Welcome to our forum.

Most of us begin our attraction to knives based on appearance. As we learn more and more about the world of knives and then other sharp things, we seem to have a shift in out thinking. I hope you enjoy you Manix 2. I think a few that hang here have might share your "problem". Good choice, by the way.

sal
Quoted for truth. My ideal knife now looks pretty different from what it was ten years ago when I first found this forum.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the enablers club. :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Maybe it's everyone else who has the problem!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

BoydDroid wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:15 am
I've bought several brands over the years, but I've never liked Spyderco.

Yeah, and Whitney Houston never liked cocaine until she did her first line.

Thirty+ years ago I remember seeing ads for these ugly-@$$ed knives with holes in the blades. I had no interest--they were off my radar for decades.

Then a couple years ago I was searching for a knife with particular characteristics. There were a couple that fit the bill, including a Manix 2. So I bought one. Initially, there were some things I didn't like, but I carried the knife and got used to it. It wasn't long until I preferred the Spydie Hole over a traditional thumb stud. I really came to LIKE the 50/50 finger choil. Full flat grinds are GREAT. And nowadays, if a blade is made in boring steel, then I'm not really interested.

I'm sorry to tell you, my friend, that you very well might have a problem.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:23 pm
Maybe it's everyone else who has the problem!
I agree! Made me feel a lot worse about myself with how often I buy knives :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

I was mostly like you... carried rather crappy knives when I was younger, and when I decided to get ONE quality knife (of course I could not stick to just one... :rolleyes: ) I thought Spydercos looked a bit weird and not like "cool knives" should look like..

Now I totally like their looks (design and functionality anyway) and one of my absolute favorites is one of which many people say it looks weird (especially its blade shape) even within Spydercos lineup: The Stretch 1.
I exclusivly own Spydercos these days except one Benchmade...

The Manix is a great choice for a first Spyderco! I owned an LW for some time and really enjoyed it!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The Manix is one of my favorite spydercos, and if you think you've got a problem, well, I've got 4 Manixes at the moment, so... ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:41 pm
The Manix is one of my favorite spydercos, and if you think you've got a problem, well, I've got 4 Manixes at the moment, so... ;)
That's a badge of honor, not a problem! 😉
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Welcome to the Forum, BoydDroid! :)

When does Spyderco #1 arrive?
Oh my goodness, are you ever going to be amazed!
:spyder:

BoydDroid

Post by BoydDroid »

Goodness! I didn't expect such a response.

Yup, that one is the one I bought. I don't know when it arrive, it hasn't shipped yet. That's what I get for ordering it on a Friday evening. I felt lucky to have found the brown one in stock anywhere.

I didn't realize how fast these things sell out. I was BladeHQ's list to email me when the Rex45 version was available. I got that email on Wednesday. I saw the email come in, I immediately clicked the link, but took my time completing the purchase. I had just clicked the shipping method when they sucked it out of my cart. Two seconds later I would have clicked Submit. So I had to look for something else. I couldn't bring myself to guy the standard Manix.

Last year I bought 2 Benchmades and a Bradford 3.5 Guardian 3d in Nitro-V. The Bradford is wicked sharp. I'm having a heck of time sharpening the Osborne. It was sharp from the factory but a very rough grind. Thinking about sending it back for sharpening.

Thanks for the welcome. Appears I'm not alone in this disease.
~Brian
Kapara
SpydieChef
Manix 2 - Brown G-10 - M390 - DLC Blade - C101GPBNBK2
Manix 2 - Red G-10 - CPM 20CV - C101GPRD2
PM2 - Purple G-10 Cruwear
Smock - CPM S30CV

"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't" Mark Twain
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I used to work at a small knife shop in college. I felt the same way; the Benchmade 940 and then the CRK Sebenza were my holy grails. When I started there, I sold Benchmade Griptillians to nearly every customer who walked in the door, because everyone knew they wanted a Benchmade. I had the opportunity to play with and use a lot of knives working at the shop, and the more I used those funny little knives with the round hole that we all know and love, the more I came to appreciate them. They were thinner, lighter, more ergonomic, and overall a better value than the other brands. And sure enough, the more I appreciated them the more I was able to help customers appreciate them, and the more I sold. I still carry Spydercos over anything else today.

Welcome to the forums BoydBroid, you're in good company.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.