Knifejoy Exclusive SMOCK!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive SMOCK!

Post by JuPaul »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 pm
Black is boring
The brown for the 10v pm2 was boring
The orange rex 45 - people were complaining about being too dull
The cutlery shoppe orange is too bright
The black and yellow of the Caribbean is too weird

Blue and Green everything!!!!!!!
I'd always prefer a color over black, but on the Smock especially I was hoping for something a little more "out there" and unique like you often see on the sk23s. Burled g10 in cool colors, or white scales and black dlc blade, etc. Oh well, I'm still psyched to see that dealers are comissioning Smock exclusives, and I hope there will be more. Kuddos to KnifeJoy for leading the pack on this one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Basically, the same production Smock for $175 but substituting a better and more expensive steel (20CV vs. S30V) and a cheaper handle material (G-10 vs. CF/G-10). Something different at a comparable price is not a bad thing.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Of course ... my luck :o These guys don't dispatch to Europe :mad:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:53 am
Of course ... my luck :o These guys don't dispatch to Europe :mad:
I am sure you can find a proxy strawman in the US. Lots of friendly guys and gals have helped me many times.

Man am i glad i am not a distributor trying to come up with a exclusive.. No matter if you bend over backwards people tear you and your offering to shreds.. (Unless it's a Para***, those get away with anything and people buy them.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Here's hoping the pre-orders don't sell out immediately...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

We need to hope this sells quickly, so others will take notice and take chances on their own exclusives!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I can't believe that people think a 20cv variant at the same price as the s30v is boring. Man, knife people are never satisfied.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Black G10 vs CF peel ply is quite similar in looks depending on the lighting. Yes, 20CV is more appealing than S30V...but the LOOKS of the knife are very blah and similar.

If it were originally released in black G10 with S30V, and this first exclusive was peel ply CF with 20CV it would certainly have drawn a lot more excitement. But hey, at least there's finally an exclusive! I've already got the original Smock and am more than happy with it and willing to wait for a different variant.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You don’t have to have your finger on the pulse to know that black G10 isn’t gonna cause a buzz.

That M390 class of steels was the hot stuff this past year or more but the market is flooded with it now. It doesn’t do anything for me and a I think it is marginally better than S35VN.

This is an easy pass for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 am
If it were originally released in black G10 with S30V, and this first exclusive was peel ply CF with 20CV...
Knowing that there are going to be blade swaps between the two versions, I actually think it's hilarious that people will end up with black G10/S30V versions of this model! :D
-Nick :bug-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

It is interesting that they went with G-10 perhaps it was done to keep the cost down with a more expensive steel? I agree the M390 class of steels are not much better than S35VN so it is not something that would be a deciding factor for me.

Perhaps their is still time for them to change the options on this knife? Clearly it is not what people are looking for.

I think they could do better by going with CF scales and either S45VN or perhaps SPY27 for the steel then it would do very well.

As for my tastes I would be perfectly happy with G10 flat slab handles.

As for my next Smock purchase well the model needs a functional choil otherwise the S30V one is good enough for a model with the current choil implementation.

The more I consider this the more I think this weekend may find me putting the dremel to my Smock.
archangel

Post by archangel »

IMHO 20CV is a big step up! G-10 is a small step down. Thing is that there are replacement scales available for the Smock.

I need to think.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

JMM wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:21 pm
For me, and those owning and enjoying the base model, this seems like this is the perfect candidate for a scale swap, yielding a 20cv w/CF, then off the s30v / G10 on the secondary market... possibly - maybe? :D

Or that. I'm very happy with the original CF scales. Question is who'd buy an S30V Smock with G-10 scales....

Bonus, just for me: Since I own a 20CV PM2, I'd have to sell it, and the PM2 spot would be free for a Maxamet spydie... :rolleyes:
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

Does Knifejoy ship to Europe, to Germany? Was I blind, cause I did not see any info on their website. I was able to register with my German address, but when put a knife into the cart and processed it, I was not able to select a non-US address, which makes no sense...
Michael
JMM

Post by JMM »

archangel wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:14 pm
Does Knifejoy ship to Europe, to Germany? Was I blind, cause I did not see any info on their website. I was able to register with my German address, but when put a knife into the cart and processed it, I was not able to select a non-US address, which makes no sense...
IDK about Germany... but my brother in law ordered something from them about a year ago and he lives in Italy.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Just saw on IG...pre-orders are live for this now.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Just saw on IG...pre-orders are live for this now.
Thanks for the heads up! It’s my first time getting in on a preorder.

I can’t say it’s the most exciting release, but I do like the Smock regardless of the choil.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 am
Basically, the same production Smock for $175 but substituting a better and more expensive steel (20CV vs. S30V) and a cheaper handle material (G-10 vs. CF/G-10). Something different at a comparable price is not a bad thing.
I'll trade that thin little strip of glued on carbon fiber for 20cv any day.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like it. I have too many other things ahead of it though, im sure it'll be long gone before I get around to it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Changed my mind. I'll pass. Difficult times...
Michael