Ideal Spyderco Knives For Lawn, Garden & Landscaping Jobs?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Ideal Spyderco Knives For Lawn, Garden & Landscaping Jobs?

Post by JD Spydo »

For the past 5 years I've been proclaiming how good that Spyderco's serrated/Spyderedged Hawkbill models are great for Lawn, Garden and Landscaping jobs. The popularity of the serrated Spyderco Hawkbills for those types of cutting jobs has increased by a big margin over the past 4 to 5 years. Many of Spyderco's unique designs I believe could make for great agricultural cutting tools.

Now I know that some of you who do a lot of gardening, landscaping and various other agricultural uses have other Spyderco models besides the Hawkbill models that they also useful for those types of cutting jobs. I just did a lot of pruning and clipping in our community garden yesterday with my Stainless SE RESCUE model and I was blown away at how much I could do with that Spyderco knife alone.

So I'm hoping that many of you will share which Spyderco knives you like for Lawn, Garden, & Landscaping jobs. Also how many of you have discovered just how good Spyderco's serrated Hawkbill models are for those types of cutting jobs. I've often wondered why Spyderco has never yet made a "grafting knife"? So let's talk Lawn & Garden jobs that Spyderco knives are good for.
araneae

Re: Ideal Spyderco Knives For Lawn, Garden & Landscaping Jobs?

Post by araneae »

The SE H1 salt series knives are my go to knives for gardening and outdoors work. I just had my Pac Salt out cutting dead ornamental grass from last year. My Hawkbill D'fly also gets very regular yard use. Beat 'em up, put 'em away dirty and they're ready for more tomorrow.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've been using my full SE Endura and SE Salt 2 while I still had it for yardwork. Incredible cutting machines! A few pull cuts and I've been able to easily trim stray branches and shape bushes without getting out pruners or trimmers.

Very excited to try my SE Matriarch 2 in the spring and summer that my wife got me for Christmas!! That thing is going to be an absolute shredder :cool: :D
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Spyderhawk.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I used a Resilience for work when I worked on a relative's avocado grove. It was very good at limbing small trees, trimming irrigation pipe and dispatching trapped gophers.

Could have done the same with a smaller blade, but IME a larger blade means you're more likely to have some edge left after a day cutting stuff in the dirt. The Resilience is also easy to open/close with gloves, and not as painful to scratch up as the more expensive plus-size models.
—Daniel Jackson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

can second the spyderhawk and resilience for garden work.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Using a SE pac salt to clean up my yard and garden beds last fall was a revelation - just an awesome tool for the job. Since then I've added a Spyderhawk as well, and recently used it to clean up a huge section of vines taking over our fence. I find it sooo much easier and more convenient to use these two tools rather than garden shears or nippers in most situations.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

SE Spyderhawk and Jumpmaster 1 for me.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

araneae wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:29 pm
The SE H1 salt series knives are my go to knives for gardening and outdoors work. I just had my Pac Salt out cutting dead ornamental grass from last year. My Hawkbill D'fly also gets very regular yard use. Beat 'em up, put 'em away dirty and they're ready for more tomorrow.
Well Brother I can't argue with that selection at all. Actually I've been thinking that if Spyderco would have about 5 to 6 models out of the Salt Series for the Lawn & Garden market I do believe it would bolster their sales in a big way.

In the past when I've discussed Spyderco knives that are good in this type of work I usually hear more about models out of the Salt Series more than any other Spyders. I've been using my Stainless RESCUE from the ATS-55 era and I've come to the conclusion that any of those RESCUE models in the Spyderco line up would be great for Lawn, Garden and Landscaping jobs.

If Spyderco would bring back the H-1 Spyderhawk and have other H-1/Salt models being sold in Garden catalogs like A.M. Leonard they would have trouble filling their orders IMO.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Caspian Salt is my go to utility knife in the garden and on the water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:23 am
The Caspian Salt is my go to utility knife in the garden and on the water.
I was never able to get my hands on a Caspian Salt when they were still in the main line up. I sure hope at some point that Sal & Co. will consider doing a Sprint Run of the Caspian Salt model. And I can sure see how that would be a great blade for Lawn, Garden & Landscaping jobs. Wish I had one myself.

I bet if a poll were taken for at least 4 past fixed blade models to be considered for Sprint Runs I bet the Caspian Salt would be number 1 or number 2. It's probably one of the most sought after Spyderco fixed blades in my recent memory. I would put the TEMPERANCE 1 just right behind it though.
benben

Post by benben »

Bought my SE Pacific Salt for exactly that reason, my Saturday work in the yard knife, and it excels perfectly in that role!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I watched a video of a Farmer in Norway who uses a PM3 for his work and loves it!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:15 pm
I watched a video of a Farmer in Norway who uses a PM3 for his work and loves it!
Do you remember where you seen that at "bearrowland"? I would love to take a look at that video. I can see how a PM2 or PM3 either one could be a great gardening tool.
I find that particularly interesting considering that most people I've chatted with that use Spyderco knives for Lawn, Garden & Landscaping work mostly use Spyderedged/serrated models.
I have used a couple of my plain edged Spyders in the garden and on pruning jobs but about 95% of the outdoor work I do with Spyderco knives I mainly use serrated/Spyderedged models.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I do indeed JD! YouTube titled "Perfect Knife for the Farmer: Spyderco PM3 for EDC". It's in English and is really enjoyable! This is a plain edge, and he puts it to work!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:09 pm
I do indeed JD! YouTube titled "Perfect Knife for the Farmer: Spyderco PM3 for EDC". It's in English and is really enjoyable! This is a plain edge, and he puts it to work!
Thanks "bearrowland" I'll certainly check it out later today. Like I've said for the past year if Spyderco would start listing some of their Salt Series and other key knives in gardening catalogs like "A. M. Leonard" or a couple of others I could mention I do believe that they would have a hard time keeping many of those knives in stock once people in gardening, lawn & landscaping and other outdoor jobs catch on to how great they are in those types of jobs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I were to choose ONE knife for this kind of work it would absolutely be the Caribbean SE sheepsfoot. I think it's the best performing SE knife available right now. For vines and harvesting plants I'd still prefer a Spyderhawk, but for general use I'll stick with the sheepsfoot. The Caribbean has a wee bit of negative blade angle so it does well with pull cuts and you get lots of leverage at the tip so it's a very controllable knife and it slices very well. I think I'll intentionally let the vines overgrow in my back yard this summer just to give me a good amount to cut down.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tims

Post by Tims »

I like to use the right tool for the job and a knife often isn’t the right tool for yard work but this summer the Pac’ Salt in SE is always in my pocket and it’s perfect in that role for smaller stuff. It’s tough, I know it will continue to cut, even if roughly, after abuse, it’s easy to clean and easy to put an edge on. Works for me
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 am
I like to use the right tool for the job and a knife often isn’t the right tool for yard work but this summer the Pac’ Salt in SE is always in my pocket and it’s perfect in that role for smaller stuff. It’s tough, I know it will continue to cut, even if roughly, after abuse, it’s easy to clean and easy to put an edge on. Works for me

If it wasn't for using the wrong tool for the job I'm not sure what I'd use a knife for a lot of times. I have my limits, I don't use them to scrape gaskets of car parts or as prying tools but if it can be cut without destroying the knife then it's a good excuse to use my knife and usually a learning experience.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tims

Post by Tims »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:18 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 am

If it wasn't for using the wrong tool for the job I'm not sure what I'd use a knife for a lot of times. I have my limits, I don't use them to scrape gaskets of car parts or as prying tools but if it can be cut without destroying the knife then it's a good excuse to use my knife and usually a learning experience.
I hear you mate and am myself guilty of doing the same. I should have probably written, I ‘try’ to use the right tool for the job.

I’m a bit if a tool nerd too so using using the right tools gives me an excuse to have more tools.

You know, I have knives I consider beaters that I have done silly things with, that now look like **** and I have more of an appreciation for them than most of my expensive knives. Every time I spend quality time with a beater I wonder why I spend money on higher end knives I’m less likey to abuse.