Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
cabfrank

Re: Has the Coronavirus affected your daily life?

Post by cabfrank »

It hit the fan for me, and my life has been affected tremendously. I am now out of work at both of my jobs, for who knows how long, and have to "shelter in place". That means stay home, except for "essentials". The Northern California fires were a hardship, but this is on another, much worse, level.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

tax appointment? maybe in a few months. 2017 owed, 2018 refund.

kitty litter? dirt works. [solution: amazon]

paper towels? kitchen rag.

dog grooming? scissors.

april voting / poll worker training. it'll probably be cancelled.

cpap sleep apnea machine. i'll stop using it soon when there is no distilled water. [ https://youtu.be/iA16crVka8A ]
Last edited by z4vdBt on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:04 pm
Went to 2 different grocery stores tonight, still crazy out there, out of all the essentials. The stark contrast of the decimated shelves where food once sat next to the untouched Easter bunnies/candy/baskets was kind of haunting
It’s the same here.

What is also odd is the stuff that people haven’t bought (in certain stores). Atta chapati flour - yes please! Tinned sardines - my favourite! Tinned fruit - yum! Proper Italian pasta sauces - wouldn’t buy anything else!

Also the fresh food aisles are almost untouched. ???
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

So if I tow someone and they ride in my truck, I'm supposed to disinfect everything after they've left. Uh, we're traveling in a rather small amount of cubic feet breathing the same air...if either of us has cooties the other is going to get it. :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:47 am
So if I tow someone and they ride in my truck, I'm supposed to disinfect everything after they've left. Uh, we're traveling in a rather small amount of cubic feet breathing the same air...if either of us has cooties the other is going to get it. :rolleyes:
What scares me far more than being in the cab of a car or truck is public transportation. I wouldn't get on a plane now for a large amount of money. I will not take any bus or other public transportation either until this all blows over>> and I hope it's sooner rather than later.

I'm preparing from the standpoint of how to handle the virus if I am unfortunate enough to be infected with it. I'm stocking up on colloidal silver, Oil of Oregano ( P-73 forumula), Goldenseal, Echinacea and many other herbs that I've had good luck with in the past. Even raw garlic has been shown to be beneficial for all types of infections. Unfortunately most of what the Doctors are giving out treats the symptoms rather than bolstering you immune system.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Evil D wrote:
That seems a bit too cosy for comfort in the circumstances! If you cough a bit, maybe they will elect to wait for a taxi .....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's ok guys I'll just make sure to cross my fingers while I'm around anyone or if I touch them. It worked quite well in elementary school, this isn't my first rodeo with cooties :cool:
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The state is now closing Destiny USA, the 2nd largest mall in the US. I drive by it everyday on my way to and home from work. It's MASSIVE and always filled with cars. It's going to be very eerie driving by there tonight, and even worse...it puts around 5,000 people out of a job.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I work at a ski resort and we closed a month early. I am a year round employee but about 1300 people just got laid off a month early.

My wife is a teacher at the school my son attends. They are closed until the sixth. I think that will be extended. I don’t think they will be going back to school this year.

My son was supposed to have a tooth pulled tomorrow but the dentist just closed so he will have to ride that one out. I am stocked up on children’s Tylenol and Ibuprofen for him.

I am super sick. Started as a head cold and has moved into my chest. Feels like bronchitis. I have everything except a fever or diarrhea. Ughhh.... Normally I would just work my way through it but everybody is freaking out so I am staying home and burning up PTO days. :(

Going to the feed store today. I am gonna grab 200 pounds of chicken food and 100 pounds of dog food as well as 3-4 handles of liquor. Gotta be prepared in case this drags on. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
There is actually some value to disinfecting, to reduce the virus load in your system.

It's not a situation where if one virus lands on you, you get sick. You need a certain number of them (your virus load) which is more if you are healthy, etc, and less if you are already sick or sleep deprived, or whatever.

So basically, disinfecting everything after a passenger is a really good idea. I'd also (believe it or not) carry a bottle of antiseptic mouthwash (like listerine) and do a 30 second gargle after you disinfect, and thoroughly wash your hands. Anything you can do to reduce your personal virus load will reduce your chance of getting sick.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:54 am
Evil D wrote:
There is actually some value to disinfecting, to reduce the virus load in your system.

It's not a situation where if one virus lands on you, you get sick. You need a certain number of them (your virus load) which is more if you are healthy, etc, and less if you are already sick or sleep deprived, or whatever.

So basically, disinfecting everything after a passenger is a really good idea. I'd also (believe it or not) carry a bottle of antiseptic mouthwash (like listerine) and do a 30 second gargle after you disinfect, and thoroughly wash your hands. Anything you can do to reduce your personal virus load will reduce your chance of getting sick.

Yeah, honestly I wipe down everything with a Clorox wipe any time someone else drives my truck anyway so I already do more than most. I was also extremely sick the whole last quarter of 2019, I'm thinking I may have already had this and didn't know it. I had all the symptoms but the doc called it an upper respiratory infection.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve been wondering how many super-viruses will result from all the constant, above-normal amount of disinfecting. As many know, viruses do mutate, and what once killed them will no longer work after awhile, as they adjust and become immune. This happens often in hospitals.

Jim
bearfacedkiller

So the whole country is in panic mode and on lock down over this. Here I sit extremely sick with something that has progressed into bronchitis. However, since I haven’t had a fever, haven’t left the country and haven’t been in direct contact with anybody who tested positive I am not a candidate for testing. I am expected to just stay home and wait it out.

I do not have unlimited PTO days and I need to go back to work so I probably will tomorrow even though I am still sick. What a joke! I just want to know if I have it or not so I can be responsible but I have no way of acquiring that knowledge. All I have to go on is statistics. In my state 495 people have been tested and 17 have been positive so the numbers say that it is probably just a regular flu but how do I know?

I run a municipal water and wastewater system in a small community. It runs 24/7/365 and we cannot shut down. I need to go to work. I cannot just quarantine myself because there is a 3% chance I have this specific strain. Ughhh....
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 am
So the whole country is in panic mode and on lock down over this. Here I sit extremely sick with something that has progressed into bronchitis. However, since I haven’t had a fever, haven’t left the country and haven’t been in direct contact with anybody who tested positive I am not a candidate for testing. I am expected to just stay home and wait it out.

I do not have unlimited PTO days and I need to go back to work so I probably will tomorrow even though I am still sick. What a joke! I just want to know if I have it or not so I can be responsible but I have no way of acquiring that knowledge. All I have to go on is statistics. In my state 495 people have been tested and 17 have been positive so the numbers say that it is probably just a regular flu but how do I know?

I run a municipal water and wastewater system in a small community. It runs 24/7/365 and we cannot shut down. I need to go to work. I cannot just quarantine myself because there is a 3% chance I have this specific strain. Ughhh....

Call your local Heath Dept to see what to do for sure....

Just because you don't have a fever (yet) doesn't mean that you don't have anything.

I used to tell my people if they are sick, stay home..

Could be the Flu, still stay home or you will give it to someone else.

If it's another virus you can still pass it other people.

If you do have the Coronavirus and don't know it you will infect a lot of other people. It is airborne and extremely contagious.

So in short..... STAY HOME.....
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 am

Hope you feel better soon Darby! :(
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yea Darby, I dunno man. The way you're feeling, I'm not sure if it's worth risking your own health, or possibly many others. Might be worth it to go and get yourself checked out.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Thanks guys. I will be fine. I have zero concerns about my own health.

I went to the doctors. I don’t meet the criteria for testing so they won’t do it. Basically told me that unless I need to be hospitalized they won’t test me because I don’t meet the other criteria. My point is that they are spreading all this fear and telling everybody to responsible but when you try to be responsible they won’t let you.

I don’t interact with the public at all at work and I only work with four other people. It is also easy for me to isolate myself at work, I do it all the time. It is one of the nice things about what I do, lots of alone time. :) I’m also a bit of a germ expert. That is a huge part of both water and wastewater treatment.

My point was just the hypocrisy of all this fear mongering if they won’t test sick people who want to be tested. What a joke!
-Darby
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:06 pm
Thanks guys. I will be fine. I have zero concerns about my own health.

I went to the doctors. I don’t meet the criteria for testing so they won’t do it. Basically told me that unless I need to be hospitalized they won’t test me because I don’t meet the other criteria. My point is that they are spreading all this fear and telling everybody to responsible but when you try to be responsible they won’t let you.

I don’t interact with the public at all at work and I only work with four other people. It is also easy for me to isolate myself at work, I do it all the time. It is one of the nice things about what I do, lots of alone time. :) I’m also a bit of a germ expert. That is a huge part of both water and wastewater treatment.

My point was just the hypocrisy of all this fear mongering if they won’t test sick people who want to be tested. What a joke!

Like I said, call the Health Dept.

Or the CDC....

They will make it happen...
bearfacedkiller

My doctor is following the state dept of health’s guidelines. The state won’t test me without a doctor referral. Sure, I could fight with them or doctor shop until I get tested. Not gonna do either. If they were as worried about this as they claim they would test anybody who is very sick.

Still missing my point. I am not looking for advice. My point is that they are causing hysteria but in practice they are falling short on their end. It isn’t about controlling this, it is about looking like they are trying to control it. Plain and simple. That is my point.
-Darby
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm
My doctor is following the state dept of health’s guidelines. The state won’t test me without a doctor referral. Sure, I could fight with them or doctor shop until I get tested. Not gonna do either. If they were as worried about this as they claim they would test anybody who is very sick.

Still missing my point. I am not looking for advice. My point is that they are causing hysteria but in practice they are falling short on their end. It isn’t about controlling this, it is about looking like they are trying to control it. Plain and simple. That is my point.

Likely looking at the old guidelines... ;)

There have been people who have tested positive and quite a few of them that don't have all the symptoms.... Or none of them and still come up positive.

Like I said call the CDC or the Health Dept.

They are supposed to be testing anybody who is very sick.