Toilet Paper Frenzy!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
z4vdBt

Re: Toilet Paper Frenzy!!!

Post by z4vdBt »

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey Z4 that might be more true than what we would like to believe. I also wonder how many of these items that people have hoarded that might be in garage sales and flea markets next summer or fall.

However I'm sure toilet paper I would think would have a long shelf life. On the other hand it's really sad when you consider how little people know about any survival scenario.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

This morning was our 5th failed attempt to TP purchase. Family of five with 3 girls won't last too long, I was able to get a few pounds of cheese so that may temporarily help with 1/2 the problem :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:55 am
This morning was our 5th failed attempt to TP purchase. Family of five with 3 girls won't last too long, I was able to get a few pounds of cheese so that may temporarily help with 1/2 the problem :D

Newspaper... ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
yeah I realize it's more of an issue with girls than with guys. You could cut pieces of paper towels if nothing else is available. However 4 of the stores I've been at in the past 3 days have all been out of paper towels too. Just two days ago our local Target store was the only one with a plentiful supply of all paper products and all disinfectant cleaners and bleaches. I told all my neighbors but they all keep going back to their favorite stores rather than just getting their stuff from Target. Even the huge grocery chains we have here are ravaged with empty shelves.

I went to the local Rip-Mart last night to get some batteries because their prices are quite a bit lower than most stores>> believe me folks I would rather have a root canal than to go to Wally World in most cases. I was blown away at how bare the shelves were in the grocery department of Wally World :eek: Also the people in the store acted like they were playing a part in a Stanley Kubrick movie. I've never seen people this uptight>> no not even 9-11 was this bad.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:
yeah I realize it's more of an issue with girls than with guys. You could cut pieces of paper towels if nothing else is available. However 4 of the stores I've been at in the past 3 days have all been out of paper towels too. Just two days ago our local Target store was the only one with a plentiful supply of all paper products and all disinfectant cleaners and bleaches. I told all my neighbors but they all keep going back to their favorite stores rather than just getting their stuff from Target. Even the huge grocery chains we have here are ravaged with empty shelves.

I went to the local Rip-Mart last night to get some batteries because their prices are quite a bit lower than most stores>> believe me folks I would rather have a root canal than to go to Wally World in most cases. I was blown away at how bare the shelves were in the grocery department of Wally World :eek: Also the people in the store acted like they were playing a part in a Stanley Kubrick movie. I've never seen people this uptight>> no not even 9-11 was this bad.
I'm with you, those blue shop towels are quite absorbent and not too rough :D cutting them into little squares would work. Only a couple $$ for a 2 pack..Lowes and Home Depot have TP and large selection of cleaning supplies as well. Well usually.

[/quote]
Ankerson wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:00 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Newspaper... ;)
Had family that still used outhouses when I 1st moved to KY, those glossy pages in the Sears and JC Penny's catalogs are not fun :eek:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yesterday was the first time I've seen TP in a week. I went to Wegmans for a few things. There was a kid standing by the entrance doors with one of those dolly carts they use, filled with TP asking customers if they needed some. They were packs of (6) with a 1 pack per person limit. It's better than nothing, but I feel badly for larger families that are already running low...6 rolls probably won't last long. Such a bizarre world we're in right now.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I predict some major plumbing problems all across the country as folks start flushing paper towels, baby wipes and other unflushables.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Yep, your're right Darby.. already seeing messages from my town DPW about the strain on the sewage system from people flushing things they shouldn't be..

In my junior year of college, my roommates and I (6 of us in an apartment on campus) were too poor to afford alcohol and TP both. The mutual decision was made to pool our funds during the last months of the semester to maintain a stocked refrigerator..

Our remaining TP stores were depleted very quickly.. military level supply raids were conducted against the public restrooms around campus, but they got wise and installed high quality locking TP dispensers (the mistake was not replacing the empty roll..in retrospect, it makes so much sense.. d@mn it!)! In the last weeks of the year we used paper towels, napkins from the dining common, tissues, and coffee filters.. We adapted. We overcame. And we drank like kings.

Hahah I think back fondly on those college days.. for some reason, I am still known in certain circles as "the toilet paper bandit".. **

So no.. I don't understand the TP frenzy at all because for about three months of my life, I and 5 others made the conscious decision that beer was more important. And we all turned out just fine. I think.. ;)

**I disavow any knowledge related to so-called "theft of campus property".. :cool:
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Yeah, the wastewater treatment plant can consume all those things but the collection system cannot move them well and clogged sewer pipes lead to overflowing manholes and nobody likes seeing sewage running down the street or even worse into a body of water. Baby wipes are terrible. Even wipes that claim to be flushable really are not.

It has nothing to do with our current situation but I just want to say, PLEASE do not flush dental floss down the toilet. For some reason this is common and that stuff is very problematic in a collection system and in the treatment plant itself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:14 am
.. for some reason, I am still known in certain circles as "the toilet paper bandit".. **
Sounds better than " El Flatualante "

it was a friend in college that was called that, I swear. ;)
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am
DSH007 wrote:
.. for some reason, I am still known in certain circles as "the toilet paper bandit".. **
Sounds better than " El Flatualante "

it was a friend in college that was called that, I swear. ;)
Hahah! Well-earned I bet.. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

DSH007 wrote:
Yep, your're right Darby.. already seeing messages from my town DPW about the strain on the sewage system from people flushing things they shouldn't be..

In my junior year of college, my roommates and I (6 of us in an apartment on campus) were too poor to afford alcohol and TP both. The mutual decision was made to pool our funds during the last months of the semester to maintain a stocked refrigerator..

Our remaining TP stores were depleted very quickly.. military level supply raids were conducted against the public restrooms around campus, but they got wise and installed high quality locking TP dispensers (the mistake was not replacing the empty roll..in retrospect, it makes so much sense.. d@mn it!)! In the last weeks of the year we used paper towels, napkins from the dining common, tissues, and coffee filters.. We adapted. We overcame. And we drank like kings.

Hahah I think back fondly on those college days.. for some reason, I am still known in certain circles as "the toilet paper bandit".. **

So no.. I don't understand the TP frenzy at all because for about three months of my life, I and 5 others made the conscious decision that beer was more important. And we all turned out just fine. I think.. ;)

**I disavow any knowledge related to so-called "theft of campus property".. :cool:
Ha ha! That story made me laugh! :D :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
bearfacedkiller

FC8AC45A-18F9-4066-AE85-8B817E3A451C.jpeg
-Darby
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Silly as the TP frenzy is, at least if keeps forever if stored in a dry place. That's also true for the other paper products and cleaning supplies that stores are now sold out of, and things like rice, dry beans, and at least some canned goods can be kept for a year or more if stored properly. But the same can't be said for bread, milk, and fresh meat. There was little or none to be found today and I have to wonder how much of what folks are buying will go to waste.

I'm fortunate in that I tend to stockpile non-perishable items when they're on sale and have the room to store them. Last count I have 32 rolls of Scott tissue, 14 rolls of Bounty paper towels, and 19 210 count boxes of tissues, all purchased long before the hoarding started. Am glad I also have about 15 pounds of rice, a few pounds of dried beans, about 12 pounds of assorted pasta, 3 large boxes of oatmeal and two bags of grits which, like the paper goods, were all purchased before CORVID-19 was known outside China.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:46 pm
Silly as the TP frenzy is, at least if keeps forever if stored in a dry place. That's also true for the other paper products and cleaning supplies that stores are now sold out of, and things like rice, dry beans, and at least some canned goods can be kept for a year or more if stored properly. But the same can't be said for bread, milk, and fresh meat. There was little or none to be found today and I have to wonder how much of what folks are buying will go to waste.

I'm fortunate in that I tend to stockpile non-perishable items when they're on sale and have the room to store them. Last count I have 32 rolls of Scott tissue, 14 rolls of Bounty paper towels, and 19 210 count boxes of tissues, all purchased long before the hoarding started. Am glad I also have about 15 pounds of rice, a few pounds of dried beans, about 12 pounds of assorted pasta, 3 large boxes of oatmeal and two bags of grits which, like the paper goods, were all purchased before CORVID-19 was known outside China.

Went to 2 different Grocery Stores today (Not Wal-Mart)...

One was completely blown out as in all the shelves in the store were almost bare.... And that's everywere in the store....

The other one was still bad, but not as bad as the 1st one.

People are buying everything in sight now.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:49 pm

One was completely blown out as in all the shelves in the store were almost bare.... And that's everywere in the store....

I also did a bit of shopping today at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and two supermarkets. Luckily I didn't need much and, aside from bread, the stuff I wanted wasn't in high demand and was mostly stuff I could have lived without if push came to shove. But yes, aside from the produce sections, a lot of empty shelves in all three. As I said, I can understand folks stockpiling certain things, I started doing that 18 years ago when I fell and broke a leg and have been doing it ever since. But milk and eggs have a finite shelf life and can't be frozen to extend it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:35 pm
Ankerson wrote:

I also did a bit of shopping today at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and two supermarkets. Luckily I didn't need much and, aside from bread, the stuff I wanted wasn't in high demand and was mostly stuff I could have lived without if push came to shove. But yes, aside from the produce sections, a lot of empty shelves in all three. As I said, I can understand folks stockpiling certain things, I started doing that 18 years ago when I fell and broke a leg and have been doing it ever since. But milk and eggs have a finite shelf life and can't be frozen to extend it.
You *can* freeze fresh milk. We frequently do. It’s easier to get used to uht treated long-life, though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:35 pm
Ankerson wrote:

I didn't NEED anything, just got a few pizzas and some OJ.