Manix2 LW compared to G10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Manix2 LW compared to G10?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have tried to warm up to the Manix2 for a long time now and with the recent acquisition of Maxamet in Both a PM2 and a Native 5 LW I am feeling the Spyderco bite hard to go after the Manix 2 in this steel due to the way Maxamet performs.

I also love the stone wash finish Spyderco is giving Maxamet.

Yesterday I really abused the Native 5 in Maxamet. I was literally carving 3/4 inch ply wood with it and the blade handled everything perfectly even some twisting in the plywood.

No damage at all to the blade then took down a bunch of cardboard.

Love the blade shape but was thinking for bigger stuff the Manix might be better.

So anyway I have never owned a LW Manix and am wondering how the ergonomics are I mean I am certain it dropped some weight but for some reason I am thinking the FRN will offer a better over all experience?

What do those of you who have used both think when comparing the G-10 models to the FRN?
Wartstein

Re: Manix2 LW compared to G10?

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhatever,

I only owned a LW Manix, never a G10.

But just fyi: The Manix 2 LW handle is made from FRCP, not FRN. Not a huge, but for me noticeable difference: FRCP somehow feels harder, more plasticy, more prone to being brittle (FEELS like that, don´t know if it is the case!) compared to FRN

And other than it is the case with some Spydies that come both in G10 and FRN: The FRCP handle of the Manix LW is not more countoured than the Manix G10 handle (differently to for example Para 3 LW and Para 3 G10 handles)

That being said: I absolutely loved the ergos of my Manix 2 LW!! And it felt, while being light, very sturdy, not only for a linerless model.

And I think the G10 Manix has a lot more jimping all over the handle than the LW, some people don´t like that seemingly (I can´t tell, never had a G10 Manix as said)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:48 am
Doeswhatever,

I only owned a LW Manix, never a G10.

But just fyi: The Manix 2 LW handle is made from FRCP, not FRN. Not a huge, but for me noticeable difference: FRCP somehow feels harder, more plasticy, more prone to being brittle (FEELS like that, don´t know if it is the case!) compared to FRN

And other than it is the case with some Spydies that come both in G10 and FRN: The FRCP handle of the Manix LW is not more countoured than the Manix G10 handle (differently to for example Para 3 LW and Para 3 G10 handles)

That being said: I absolutely loved the ergos of my Manix 2 LW!! And it felt, while being light, very sturdy, not only for a linerless model.

And I think the G10 Manix has a lot more jimping all over the handle than the LW, some people don´t like that seemingly (I can´t tell, never had a G10 Manix as said)
Thanks well that is interesting not FRN but still good ouch Spyder just dug in again... Something even more to explore.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had the LW in BD1 and used it as a camping knife for a year. I ended up gifting it to my brother in law after acquiring a few G10 models. I STRONGLY prefer G10 to FRN/FRCP on all models. I honestly don't even look at frn models anymore. (Just realized only 2 of my 20 Spyderco's are frn)

The Manix with liners and G10 is a pretty stout knife. It's got a little weight to it I guess over the LW models, but I've never understood the crying about a couple ounces of weight in a pocket knife anyways. As a user, I feel much more confident using my G10 Manix's than I did with the LW (not that it ever worried me, but just in comparison of having both models)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I prefer the lw because I prefer closed back construction, and the lw has fewer hotspots in my hand. The lighter weight is nice as well. I don’t mind the pinned construction because I never disassemble my knives.
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:51 pm
I had the LW in BD1 and used it as a camping knife for a year. I ended up gifting it to my brother in law after acquiring a few G10 models. I STRONGLY prefer G10 to FRN/FRCP on all models. I honestly don't even look at frn models anymore. (Just realized only 2 of my 20 Spyderco's are frn)

The Manix with liners and G10 is a pretty stout knife. It's got a little weight to it I guess over the LW models, but I've never understood the crying about a couple ounces of weight in a pocket knife anyways. As a user, I feel much more confident using my G10 Manix's than I did with the LW (not that it ever worried me, but just in comparison of having both models)
I think I´d really like the G10 Manix too (just had the LW). Judging for example from Endura to Pac Salt, I prefer the relatively "heavier" handle (and lighter blade) and the resulting balance and feel of the former over the latter.

And most times a couple ounces more in fact don´t matter on a pocket knife, with imho two exceptions/scenarios:

- "Floppy" pockets made of very light garment
- Really demanding mountaineering or trecking where one actually has to count ounces (but even in 95% of mountaineering that is not a real issue)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really wish they'd redo the scales with a softer shoulder around the edges, it really needs more bevel. I did some extended work with the S110V LW and even with gloves on I got major hot spots and a couple blisters.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 7#p1040847

Strength wise I think it's plenty strong enough for reasonable use. I did a good amount of hard cuts in that thread but I tried to avoid any serious twisting. The handle is strong enough but there's no denying that it isn't as strong as the G10 version.

Ultimately I sacrificed my S110V LW for a blade swap and then a month later they announced the blurple production S110V. I would go with the LW for backpacking/hiking but stick with the G10 if weight isn't an issue.

Plus I couldn't mod the LW the way I wanted..
Last edited by Evil D on Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i have a lw and have handled the g10. i love both. i think the lw manix 2 is probably the best pocket knife ever made, minis the inability to take it apart. personally, i’d never buy a steel that is prone to rust in the lw version because you can’t take it apart to clean it. i even had a small amount of rust develop on my xhp version, but i was able to wipe it off with q-tips through the cbbl opening. if spyderco would make the knife with screws, it would be perfect. i still want a g10 version though. i’d feel slightly more confident with it, although i’ve never had an issue with the frcp.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Interesting feedback, I wonder if the blade on a Maxamet light weight model could be used in a G-10 Handle?

Am I correct the PM2 and Para3 are the only G10 Maxamet knives by Spyderco?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:51 pm
Interesting feedback, I wonder if the blade on a Maxamet light weight model could be used in a G-10 Handle?

Am I correct the PM2 and Para3 are the only G10 Maxamet knives by Spyderco?

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1350507 :)

EDIT: ! Read the whole thread I linked! I just right now realized that someone posted there, that a blade swap from Manix LW to Manix G10 could end with a "late" lock up (or not locking up at all)!! :eek:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have Manix 2s in both G10 & LW models. I think the G10 knives are nicer overall but I actually carry the LWs more. The M2 LW is the knife I grab when I'm going on a bike ride or walk with sweat pants or athletic shorts on. I usually carry it IWB and the weight along with the wire clip seem to work better for me in that role.

Since the Maxamet M2 is only available in a LW I say go for it. It's the only good way to see if that version is for you. As for FRN vs FRCP, some people make a big deal out of it but it's a non issue for me. Yeah FRCP has a smoother feel to it (likely due to the finish of the molds more than anything) but I've had no issues with it in use. I've used my M2 LWs for extended periods of time and didn't feel any hot spots etc. I think a lot of that just depends on your individual hands. It may not work well for someone else's hand but your experience might be completely different.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I had the brown xhp lw model, and I really tried to warm up to it, but in the end I always reached for a g10 model instead so I sold it. The frcp just felt slippery to me, and made it harder for me to disengage the lock. Someone with bigger or stronger hands might feel differently, though. I've thought about giving it another shot with this rex45 sprint...we'll see. I just don't especially care about the weight difference since none of my lightweight shorts will fit a manix anyhow. I've got a native lw or delicas/dragonflies for that.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Manix 2 Lightweight is my favorite knife in this size range. I don’t care fir the Para 2. I don’t hate it and don’t love it. But the M2 LW and I have a real love affair. It is a big knife you can carry all day. Plus it fits my hand like it was molded around my hand.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Get both! (1 of each in different steels) I have both, use both, love both. A LW in BD1N, and a g10 DLC M390. If I’m in jeans I’ll tote the g10, if I’m in lighter clothes I’ll tote the LW. So for me it just depends on what I’m wearing, if I’m at home and need a knife and ones not in my pocket I’d reach for whichever is closer to me and wouldn’t think twice about it. Love me some manix.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Watching thread closely, I have a smooth scale manix in Cruwear not a fan of smooth scales. Purchased for model and steel.

I am very surprised Spyderco did not put Maxamet in a G-10 Manix2.

Any plans to do this Sal?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am
Watching thread closely, I have a smooth scale manix in Cruwear not a fan of smooth scales. Purchased for model and steel.

I am very surprised Spyderco did not put Maxamet in a G-10 Manix2.

Any plans to do this Sal?
My guess is maxamet in the g10 would make the model too expensive for the price range spyderco wants to hit. In the lw it's a $100+ price increase over the base model.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

You can do a blade swap if you want. Honestly, though, I love the "stealth sportscar" feel of the Manix LW. It's like driving a Mini Cooper with 300 horsepower.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:35 am
You can do a blade swap if you want. Honestly, though, I love the "stealth sportscar" feel of the Manix LW. It's like driving a Mini Cooper with 300 horsepower.
Not at the cost of creating a late lock up, a few posts up from here Wartstein addresses that, otherwise I was going in that direction for sure.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:15 pm
I really wish they'd redo the scales with a softer shoulder around the edges, it really needs more bevel. I did some extended work with the S110V LW and even with gloves on I got major hot spots and a couple blisters.

viewtopic.php?p=1040847#p1040847

Strength wise I think it's plenty strong enough for reasonable use. I did a good amount of hard cuts in that thread but I tried to avoid any serious twisting. The handle is strong enough but there's no denying that it isn't as strong as the G10 version.

Ultimately I sacrificed my S110V LW for a blade swap and then a month later they announced the blurple production S110V. I would go with the LW for backpacking/hiking but stick with the G10 if weight isn't an issue.

nice work on that handle, reminds me allot of the Siren that is coming out.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:15 pm

if the caribbean had a handle shape like this (minus the choil), i would’ve bought one a long time ago.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C