MAXAMET!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

MAXAMET!

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Within the last month I purchased two Spyderco models I already own..... This time in Maxamet.

So very pleased I did.

I have seen Videos saying Spyderco gave Maxamet a stone wash to save belts going for satin finish.

I do not know if this is true but with the way Spyderco stonewashed a blade I say kick satin finish to the curb and be done with It’s raw unfinished coarse look and friction and tape junk collecting properties.

When it comes to chipping on hard surfaces All I can say is Spyderco must have figured out the heat treat in 2019 / 2020. I have cut through and hit other steel like metal racks with impunity.

I have used the PM2 and the Native hard twisting in cardboard 4 layers thick pushing and slicing. No problems no dulling to speak of.

When it comes to Nylock Tie wraps I feel like this is the Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger mixed with some Sly Stallone Steel.

First it goes ya feel lucky punk?

Then it’s like goin all eye of the tiger in use.

Finishes with I’ll be back!

Chip on it’s shoulder well earned but not on the blade! No chips!

Goes beyond the 10th round and keeps cutting!

Leaves everything wrecked in it’s patch all cut up, and promises to return for more serious use.

I declare this steel a true super steel!
koenigsegg

Re: MAXAMET!

Post by koenigsegg »

My first Manix 2 in S30V was stonewashed. I was so disappointed when my friend got one and I found out it was satin. Stonewash must be more expensive or time consuming, but I hate satin finish! Stonewash is better in every way, rust resistance, dirt collection and scratch resistance

I love my maxamet blades but I got mine at the seconds sale and the heat treat maybe not the best? Mine chipped out cutting shaving the corner off plywood, but I may have twisted it?? Can't be sure. I have a PM2 in Maxamet but it's been in my display cabinet and not getting used lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet is really fantastic stuff. I continue to be impressed with it after EDCing it for quite a long time.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:41 pm
My first Manix 2 in S30V was stonewashed. I was so disappointed when my friend got one and I found out it was satin. Stonewash must be more expensive or time consuming, but I hate satin finish! Stonewash is better in every way, rust resistance, dirt collection and scratch resistance

I love my maxamet blades but I got mine at the seconds sale and the heat treat maybe not the best? Mine chipped out cutting shaving the corner off plywood, but I may have twisted it?? Can't be sure. I have a PM2 in Maxamet but it's been in my display cabinet and not getting used lol
Use that PM2!! We need more reviews!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Use that PM2!! We need more reviews!
I have 6 Pm2 if you need another review haha

I have played with it and it made me wish even more everything was stonewashed it's the smoothest PM2 I have. But it's not the sharpest I've ever gotten from SFO. I got one in the first batch ever but it had a handle blemish so the company exchanged it when they got another shipment and although there's no spots on the scale, it wasn't all that sharp. The Manix maxamet I got at the seconds sale though was the scariest sharp knife I ever had.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BigKenbo

Post by BigKenbo »

Ive had, carried and used a Native maxamet for over a year now, and it has truly been a beast. Love it!
Native 5 S110V G10 and LW. S90V LW. Salt LC200N. Maxamet. S30V G10 and LW. Endura 4 ZDP-189. HAP40. VG10.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Last night I decided to touch up a Zwilling pro Chefs knife and thought oh what the heck might as well do the Native 5 in my pocket.

I used a 1000 Grit Shapton Glass Stone followed by a 6000 grit Shapton Glass stone as this was what I was using on the Zwilling.

All I can say is Maxamet is easy to sharpen and if people are having difficulties the might want to use these Shapton stones.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

The thing that surprised me about this steel (besides wear resistance and edge retention, which I was expecting to be very high), was it's edge stability and toughness. I didn't manage to microchip it or damage the edge in any way in my day to day use. I don't abuse my knives, but I didn't give it any special treatment in use, compared to any random knife in VG10 for example. I run it at 15-17dps, sharpened by hand at 1200grit diamond. Tried it at mirror polish and I enjoyed it as well, it keeps a razor edge very nicely for the relatively high carbide content. If I think about it, its the knife that cut the longest with a polished edge from everything I ever tried.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

emanuel wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:46 am
The thing that surprised me about this steel (besides wear resistance and edge retention, which I was expecting to be very high), was it's edge stability and toughness. I didn't manage to microchip it or damage the edge in any way in my day to day use.
Ditto.

After all the things I heard about brittleness, I was really surprised and impressed.

I've performed identical tasks with my Maxamet Manix 2 and my s110v (and several others, because I'm a knife geek) that chipped the s110v and didn't damage the Maxamet at all.

It's weird because there are some well documented cases on the forums of broken Maxamet blades--it just hasn't been my experience.

I've found K390 even tougher than Maxamet, but Maxamet is plenty enough for my normal EDC stuff. I'd love to see some smaller blades in Maxamet, like the UKPK. I know I'm dreaming, but I'd love to have a Maxamet Dragonfly to compare with the upcoming K390 Dragonfly.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Alright the brittleness is something solved by Spyderco in 2019 / 2020

I live in Florida my spring is a lot of people’s summer and having the A/C go out is brutal not to mention hurricanes and prolonged power outages.

Today I mounted a semi permenant installation of a window A/C an LG 1200 BTU unit.

Weighs in around 100 Lbs.

So to do this requires 3/4 inch Plywood painted calked etc...

After painting and calking the imperfections in the plywood the shell refused to fit the hole in the plywood mounted to the window frame it became tighter, needed trimmed down a bit took the Maxamet Native 5 out of the pocket and abused the heck out of it useing as a plainer and even dug deep into the plywood applied lateral force with some trepidation thinking uh oh too much force!

Guess what it ate those materials up! No chips nada nothing!

Then for closing took down a huge bins worth of cardboard with tape junk etc.

Darn thing is still stupid sharp!

And the super Spyderco stone wash finish is so good that passing it through clean card board pretty much removed tape stickum!

Satin finish be damned and be gone!

Guys and Gals do yourself a solid and get some Spyderco Maxmet in your pocket, I do not know about the older stuff and would say do not buy on the secondary market to avoid the old stuff but whatever you do, dowhateveraspydercocan in Maxamet from the year 2019/2020 it is superb!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:28 pm
Mine is older than that, and doesn't seem brittle at all.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:07 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:28 pm
Mine is older than that, and doesn't seem brittle at all.
This is good!

I Have Spoken!
Jessp777

Post by Jessp777 »

I bought the Manix 2 LW a couple of weeks ago. Cutting cardboard was excellent and rope. I have experienced chipping on the tip just from digging into a zip tie. Today I used the tip on a plastic water pipe and it ruined the tip of my knife. I have used cheap Kershaw knifes and the “other brand” knives without incident. I also cut a zip tie with the blade and it chipped..

I do not want to use this knife anymore if it is gonna chip every time I cut something harder than paper/cardboard.

It was not a cheap knife. :mad:
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Jessp777 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:55 pm
I bought the Manix 2 LW a couple of weeks ago. Cutting cardboard was excellent and rope. I have experienced chipping on the tip just from digging into a zip tie. Today I used the tip on a plastic water pipe and it ruined the tip of my knife. I have used cheap Kershaw knifes and the “other brand” knives without incident. I also cut a zip tie with the blade and it chipped..

I do not want to use this knife anymore if it is gonna chip every time I cut something harder than paper/cardboard.

It was not a cheap knife. :mad:

I have cut hundreds of zip ties with mine. Never chipped once. You still on the factory edge?

I have also been cutting a rubber hose on the garage floor, came off the hose and slammed the tip into concrete. Barely even damaged it.

Maxamet isn't the glass people (who have likely never even used their knife) would lead you to believe. If you keep chipping on zip ties, I'd suggest looking at your technique first, and maybe sharpen away that factory bevel.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've only sharpened my Maxamet Manix 2 once, and I feel I must not have done a great job. The edge did begin to fade rather quickly. I picked it up second hand and the last owner had sharpened on a KME; that edge also faded rather quickly. I think I'm going to have to pick up the CBN rods for this knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.