Lil Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Lil Manix

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Neat idea but I do not find anything in the Manix line I actually like except for the XL.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’d buy one
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll put up my blast shield in advance of this idea.

If the CBBL won't work on a small one...

Compression lock?

*ducks*
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 pm

Compression lock?

*ducks*
I support this idea too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Theldraskien wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 pm
based on my experience with the Manix XL I think it may also be habituation to the opening method. I found it really difficult to unlock the XL one handed when I first got it, but after a couple of days practicing it was no problem. I don’t think it had anything to do with the spring lightening, I think it was my fingers getting stronger.
I definitely had to get the trick of opening the cbbl. In fact when I first got one I didn't like it for that reason. But once I figured out how to hold it and use the pocket clip for some leverage, I came to love it. I sold my lightweight for that reason, though. With the frcp scales I just couldn't get as good of a grip. I might give it another shot with the rex45 model if I can get one. Not sure, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

With the CBBL viability question in that small of a platform -- what about using the bolt lock (Sage3)? It's absolutely wonderful for that size of knife. Just a thought..
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I support it! The Manix never really felt great to me; very "locked in" if it fits your hand perfectly, but I always felt my hands were too large for it. At any rate, I'm all about the XL/Mini iterations of already-great knives, because I'm OCD and like things that match.

Speaking of, I'm still looking out for a 3" Straight Spine Stretch and Dragonfly. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Not for me.
Manix is already small for my taste.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i have been asking for this for a long time and have started threads asking for this. i want one in 3" or 2.75-2.8".
everyone just told me to grind down a good manix, no. i would like one made that size with the cbbl.
and just to say again this is around the perfect size of accaptable. a normal size knife is 3.125" ish.
and just because there are people who say that it is too small just have compensation issues. if you have a reason for work to use a bigger knife fine but carrying a massive blade makes all knife holders look bad wipping out a huge 3.5 - 4" blade as though its a weapon, no you dont look kool you make us all look bad.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Sumdumguy wrote:

Compression lock?

*ducks*
I love the idea of a mini manix, but if we add in the compression lock aren't we coming close to a mini shaman?

actually... i want a mini in both.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:15 am
. a normal size knife is 3.125" ish.
and just because there are people who say that it is too small just have compensation issues.
I could write down a long response, but I am going to write just this: Just because you have a opinion, it is not going to make everyone else with different opinion wrong. That is very childish approach to a discussion.

I wish you could get a Mini Manix.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For about a year straight I struggled between which I preferred, the Manix 2 or Para 2 and ultimately it came down to ergos and lock differences. What I realized about the M2 is that you need to be able to plant the butt end of the handle into your palm in order to get enough leverage to pull back the lock cage. I suspect this is why we've never seen anything bigger than the XL with a CBBL. So, going the opposite way, I think a smaller Manix 2 handle would make it even easier to operate the lock since it would be easier to palm the handle to get that leverage. This is an area where the compression lock is a significantly easier to operate design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

BLJace wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Compression lock?

*ducks*
I love the idea of a mini manix, but if we add in the compression lock aren't we coming close to a mini shaman?

actually... i want a mini in both.
Not even slightly. The Shaman and Manix are wildly different designs, regardless of lock type.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Based on models such as the lil native and the ikuchi, I think it's apparent that the lock size and packaging concerns for the compression lock are a lot more friendly to smaller knives than perhaps the CBBL. What's interesting is the ceramic BL has seen use on smaller knives before. Maybe there's a way to fit a cage around that so you don't have to dig in a finger?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
jdw

Post by jdw »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:53 am
Based on models such as the lil native and the ikuchi, I think it's apparent that the lock size and packaging concerns for the compression lock are a lot more friendly to smaller knives than perhaps the CBBL. What's interesting is the ceramic BL has seen use on smaller knives before. Maybe there's a way to fit a cage around that so you don't have to dig in a finger?

I wish that we would see some small autos out of Golden.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Not sure how well the ergos would scale down on the manix design, but I'd love to see some smaller cbbl knives. I prefer the cbbl to the compression lock and think it is seriously underused.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:22 pm
Not sure how well the ergos would scale down on the manix design, but I'd love to see some smaller cbbl knives. I prefer the cbbl to the compression lock and think it is seriously underused.
I'm Notsurewhy. :P

-Thomas Jefferson
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:29 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
I'm Notsurewhy. :P
The first step toward knowledge is admitting ignorance.

Some day I'll make it to step two :D
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have 2 Manixes a LW and a second that had the swirly brown and black slabs with a big void in them that I swapped some aluminum scales onto. Neither was especially stiff at any time that I recall. Certainly the scale swap one was never difficult to operate. That said I would love a mini with a wire clip and G10, the LW is a nice knife but I prefer my cutting tools to feel denser in hand.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Notsurewhy wrote:
If this type of knife ever happened, the ergonomics around the pivot virtually wouldn't change. The primary changes would be to blade length and handle length. It wouldn't be a "scaling down", but more of a "trimming off."

This is how the Para 3 was derived from the PM2 and how the Lil Native was derived from the Native 5. They maintain the same ergonomics in the pivot section and adjust the front end of the blade and the back end of the handle.
-Nick :bug-red