Knives you wish that you had kept

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Knives you wish that you had kept

Post by jdw »

I have a laundry list of knives that are incredible that have passed through my hands through the years but I really wish that I would have kept my Ti and Fluted Ti Military. I gave them up because the Ti marks up so easily and I realistically would never carry the Fluted Ti plus they had boring steel for otherwise spectacular knives. Now I wish that I had kept both. Are there any relatively recent acquisitions out there that you wish that you had kept?
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Re: Knives you wish that you had kept

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I try to spend more time looking forward than looking back. Lots of shiny objects out there to distract me from the ones that got away.

When I do sell a knife it is usually to fund a different purchase that I want more so while I may miss a certain knife I most like let it go to upgrade anyway.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

hmm..
Original Ag Russell Sting.
Lone Wolf Paul Perfecto, Prankster and Executive
1970s Gerber Mk II (with serrations)
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, and no. Acquired a very nice C54 Calypso on eBay about 15 years ago. A year or so later, I gifted it to a friend who considered it a grail knife. Wound up missing it, so went out and found another sometime after that. That one got gifted that to another friend for similar reasons shortly thereafter. Came across a third one about ten years back and, so far, have managed to hang on to it. :) That said, I never regretted gifting either of them. OTOH, can think of about a dozen guns and a couple cars I could kick myself in the butt for ever selling.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I had a Blue Yojimbo that I sold after I got married and the Yo2 was widely available. I like the new design, but I would trade a few other knives for the original Smurf killer.

I Lost my Caly3 CF somewhere.
Also lost a Kit Carson/Roy Helton-designed Buck Crosslock, which was my first liner lock/modern folder.
The TSA took my first knife, a Wenger SAK, a mountaineer I think. I was on a tight schedule getting to my early flight so I didn't have time to mail it to myself. Really wish I could have passed that one to one of my kids. (Fortunately I have lots of other worthy knives to choose from.)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Today's knife finances tomorrow's knife is how I roll. If I can't live without it I keep it, if it's not quite my style, it moves on. Nearly 200 spydies have gone this way, gotta catch 'em (and release them (except the Lil Native compression lock)) all!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Ric

Post by Ric »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:35 pm
Nearly 200 spydies have gone this way, gotta catch 'em (and release them) all!
How much do you lose per knife, if I may ask?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ric wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:59 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Lol I don't even want to think about that
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Ric wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:59 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Lol I don't even want to think about that
How about your newly acquired Rex45 Manix? You know that will be a tough one to find again! I also remember when you had the Mantra 3 for a while...was thinking that was going to be your "one" for a bit there!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Rex will be staying for a while. I'm set on big spydie buying for now with my stretch and manix. Next spydie will probably be smaller and or a new design. The Mantra 3 is a great knife, I did love it. But at the end of the day I'm just not a flipper person
Spydergirl88
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

My grey Lum Tanto sprint, my yojimbo 1, cf M390 military. I’m sure there’s much more if I think about it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Today's knife finances tomorrow's knife is how I roll. If I can't live without it I keep it, if it's not quite my style, it moves on. Nearly 200 spydies have gone this way, gotta catch 'em (and release them (except the Lil Native compression lock)) all!
True for the SS Stretch too?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Actually... none. ;)

Described it before, I get the most enjoyment out of the Spyderco hobby when I limit the amount I own at any point in time to max. ten, backups included (and I only have Spyderco folders, except one BM Minigrip and some cheapos)

That means I focus on the very details I like even a bit more than other details, plus all of my knives can get really carried and used.

But it also means knives that I actually really liked and enjoyed had to go. But I never regret that, but somehow "positively remember" those and am happy I could try and experience them and "fine tune" more and more what I prefer in folders.

AND: It does NOT have to mean that I´ll never, ever come back to a model I already owned (and so buy it again).. For example I absolutely can think of getting in the mood once more for the great design of the Manix or the perfect ergos of the Millie I both once owned... :rolleyes:
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

C22
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
True for the SS Stretch too?
Yeah I still have that one
Spydergirl88
Nate

Post by Nate »

None.

Guess I'm a bit of a horder. Think I'm up to 40 or so Spyderco folders now. Have sold off some stuff, but nothing I miss. Definitely could afford to cull the herd again but without any real need to do it, it's easy to put off.
:spyder:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Don't really have any regrets about the Spyderco's I've sold..
(Manix 2, Manix 2 lw, Zulu, K2, Chubby, Positron, Tim Wegner and Wegner Jr)
I do regret selling a Jody Samson custom BaliSong from Pacific cutlery and some old Cold Steel knives from the Ventura California era.. Also had a Gerber Guardian I kinda wish I'd kept.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I miss my Vallotton every time I think about it. For me it's more about ones I never bought that I wish I did.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Honestly, none.

I still have almost every knife I have ever bought, with the exception of some I have given away to friends and no regrets there. I have never sold a knife.

But I am more and more embracing the point of view that I don't have to own (or keep) something to enjoy it. I can enjoy something for a while by owning it, then pass it along -- and some things I can enjoy without owning them at all. This is more at work for me in another hobby than with knives, but there is no reason this mindset couldn't extend to knives as well.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:42 pm
I miss my Vallotton every time I think about it. For me it's more about ones I never bought that I wish I did.
I had a Vallotton Sub-Hilt converted into a D/A auto and I still kick myself for getting rid of it.

Even though I never used it, I still loved it. You could kill 50 men with that thing and never open the blade! xD
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson