Lil Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Lil Manix

Post by SG89 »

Who wants a 2.5" blade manix 2? With g10 and wire clip like the Lil Native. Not sure if this has been discussed before. I think a CBBL on something small would be cool.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bdubs808

Re: Lil Manix

Post by Bdubs808 »

I want one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, the Manix fits my hand better than the Native, so I’d be interested in trying one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I know a "mini-manix" has been requested numerous times but maybe not this small. I think a small CBBL would be neat but might be hard to implement. Also might be hard to actually work the lock on something this small
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I find the Manix to be one of the most comfortable knives (for me) either choking up or not. Usually tough to find both of those grips that are that comfortable. I'd likely try one though.

Also, more CBBL in general would be pretty cool. Seems to keep the cost of the knife down a bit, and I actually like it better than the compression lock. I find it extremely easy to operate. I'm always a bit surprised when I see people saying they have a hard time with it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Yes! YES! YES!!!

I know Sal said it would be hard to get the CBBL into a smaller package, but I desperately want a Lil Manix.

The only reason I ever still carry a Benchmade is that they have smaller Axis Locks.

A CBBL in a package the size of Chaparral would be the ultimate end to my quest for a carry knife when I visit my parents.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:34 am
Also might be hard to actually work the lock on something this small
You can test that out with one of the little benchmades that use the axis lock. I have no problem with my Ritter mini grip, for example, but I know someone (JuPaul?) said they were having trouble with the mini-bugout.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I'm in for a 3 inch one with backlock and smooth G10 handle ! I wouldn't mind a CBBL one though....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 am
I'm in for a 3 inch one with backlock and smooth G10 handle ! I wouldn't mind a CBBL one though....
What differences would you see between that and the Native?
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:21 am
Who wants a 2.5" blade manix 2? With g10 and wire clip like the Lil Native. Not sure if this has been discussed before. I think a CBBL on something small would be cool.

Exactly this.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
You can test that out with one of the little benchmades that use the axis lock....
Not really. The Omega springs in the Axis lock make it much easier to pull back on the lock tabs. I have 4 small Benchmade knives and have no issue closing them in a variety of different ways. With a Manix 2 I have to seat the butt of the knife in my palm and also use the clip to get enough leverage to pull both sides of the lock back. I struggle to do it left handed because there's no clip on that side for my fingers to grip. A smaller handle might make it even harder. Not sure though. I could be completely wrong. I'd be willing to give a try.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I could see this being feasible with a spring with less force. As it is, the manix is already fairly challenging to unlock from one side only, and a tiny manix might introduce leverage problems.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
You can test that out with one of the little benchmades that use the axis lock. I have no problem with my Ritter mini grip, for example, but I know someone (JuPaul?) said they were having trouble with the mini-bugout.
Yeah, it was with a mini grip. No problem disengaging the lock, it was just that the way I close an axis lock that small is to rest the butt of the handle on the meat of my palm, and with the mini grip the tip of the blade is very close to the end of the handle, so I knicked my hand a couple times closing it. I could see that being an issue with a mini cbbl, too, but one that's easily solved with scales that extend beyond the blade tip a bit more. I would definitely try a mini manix.

Edit: I'd be interested in a mini manix (2.5") or a "middle manix" around 3" or just under. Or other designs with the cbbl, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Oddly enough, I've never really been a fan of the Manix in general. If it ever happened, I'd probably try a Lil Manix just to try it.
-Nick :bug-red
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
You can test that out with one of the little benchmades that use the axis lock....
Not really. The Omega springs in the Axis lock make it much easier to pull back on the lock tabs. I have 4 small Benchmade knives and have no issue closing them in a variety of different ways. With a Manix 2 I have to seat the butt of the knife in my palm and also use the clip to get enough leverage to pull both sides of the lock back. I struggle to do it left handed because there's no clip on that side for my fingers to grip. A smaller handle might make it even harder. Not sure though. I could be completely wrong. I'd be willing to give a try.
How much mileage is on your Manix?

I have had widely varying force requirements to disengage the lock on mine, but they all seem to "settle" down" after a while. My original s30v XL model was incredibly stiff, but it's about the same as the others now. My very first (154cm) was super light and smooth from the beginning.
attila

Post by attila »

YES, PLEASE!!!!

Additionally, I’ve been wanting a 3” CBBL knife too!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:59 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
How much mileage is on your Manix?

I have had widely varying force requirements to disengage the lock on mine, but they all seem to "settle" down" after a while. My original s30v XL model was incredibly stiff, but it's about the same as the others now. My very first (154cm) was super light and smooth from the beginning.
I've had 5 or 6 Manix 2s in G10 and 4 LWs. All pretty much the same for me regardless of age. My black FRN lightweight & blue S110V have quite a few miles on them. I still have to close them as I described previously. I think the idea that the lock springs lighten up with use (or by keeping the blade partially open for a few days) is mostly bs. I've said it before, if that's true then Spyderco is using really bad springs and I'm sure the're not. The springs might lighten up a tiny bit but not enough to make any real difference. Comparing the Axis lock with the CBBL is apples to oranges IMO.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

It would certainly be a very cool knife, but too small for me. Still, I´d love to see more CBBL knives generally, so, YES, even though I would not buy one probably.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:38 pm
I think the idea that the lock springs lighten up with use (or by keeping the blade partially open for a few days) is mostly bs. I've said it before, if that's true then Spyderco is using really bad springs and I'm sure the're not. The springs might lighten up a tiny bit but not enough to make any real difference.
I think that there may some friction in the cage itself that gets worn off. Like burrs from the casting process. I don't know. I can only report what I've experienced.
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

based on my experience with the Manix XL I think it may also be habituation to the opening method. I found it really difficult to unlock the XL one handed when I first got it, but after a couple of days practicing it was no problem. I don’t think it had anything to do with the spring lightening, I think it was my fingers getting stronger.