Grail Achieved, Slight Issue.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Grail Achieved, Slight Issue.

Post by Sumdumguy »

Okay, so my Ti A.T.R came today and I'm ecstatic to finally have one. Great, aside from a few issues.

It was advertised as new, but is clearly not. I'll bring that up with the seller, not a HUGE issue. I just don't appreciate being misled about the condition, tell me up front.

However, the real issue lies in the late lockup(like 100%) and up/down blade play when locked. Kind of a bummer.

I'll probably send it in to Spyderco and see if they can fix it, I just figured someone here may have some insight into it before I ship it out.

Hopefully, they can repair it. I'd be sad if I finally got one of my grails and it didn't operate properly.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Re: Grail Achieved, Slight Issue.

Post by SG89 »

Since it's a long discontinued model and an integral comp lock, I am not sure SFO can fix it. If it were me I would return this to the seller for a refund/work it out with PayPal to get your money back. Sorry that this happened, what a bummer
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Pretty shady of the ebay seller to not include a picture of the late lock-up, they knew this knife was not right and sold it anyways
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sorry you got scammed. I don't mean to pour salt into the wound but this is ultimately why I don't like this lock design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree, I would return it and keep looking.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:49 pm
Sorry you got scammed. I don't mean to pour salt into the wound but this is ultimately why I don't like this lock design.
Eh, if it's not repairable I'll get my money back. To be fair, even with the lockup and blade play, I doubt it is possible for the lock to fail or come unlocked.

As for the lock design, this is from the early days of this lock. I guarantee that technology and knowledge advances will allow for proper tolerances and material choices(steel interface).

Aside from being a grail, I was buying this to learn about the lock, to better implement it into a design I am working on. In light of this development, I won't be touching this particular knife.

It'll all turn out well, in the end.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

For the ignorant among us, what is "late lockup" ? Is there a small gap between the blade and the lock bar, on the right-hand side?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:23 pm
For the ignorant among us, what is "late lockup" ? Is there a small gap between the blade and the lock bar, on the right-hand side?
The lockbar extends all the way across the lockface, touching(or very near it) the opposite scale.

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:29 pm
kennethsime wrote:
The lockbar extends all the way across the lockface, touching(or very near it) the opposite scale.
And this causes blade play? Or what's the issue?

Apologies for my ignorance.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:04 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

Just a guess from my part, but I would say excessive wear on the lockface is causing the lockbar to engage further than it should. That change in geometry is causing the blade play. Probably could be negated with a metal insert on the lock interface.

Again, just a guess.

I'm going to give Spyderco a call tomorrow, just in case there is someone who can work some magic. I really don't want to have to go back to my search... It's taken so long!

I'll hope for a miracle and prepare for disappointment. Lol

-Thomas Jefferson
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:28 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:04 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

Just a guess from my part, but I would say excessive wear on the lockface is causing the lockbar to engage further than it should. That change in geometry is causing the blade play. Probably could be negated with a metal insert on the lock interface.

Again, just a guess.

I'm going to give Spyderco a call tomorrow, just in case there is someone who can work some magic. I really don't want to have to go back to my search... It's taken so long!

I'll hope for a miracle and prepare for disappointment. Lol
Ok, that makes sense. Good luck! I hope you end up with something you're happy with.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Guy,

Sorry for your disappointment. The company that made the handles for us has long since gone out of business. I'll alert Charlynn to you call, but I'm not sure we can just fix it.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 pm
Hi Guy,

Sorry for your disappointment. The company that made the handles for us has long since gone out of business. I'll alert Charlynn to you call, but I'm not sure we can just fix it.

sal
Thank you Sal. I appreciate the help, whatever the outcome. This is just one of the reasons I choose Spyderco above all else. Quality, in every facet of operation.

To your credit, this knife is pretty amazing. Had it not been for this one's particular issue, it would certainly be among my favorite users.

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm
Evil D wrote:
Eh, if it's not repairable I'll get my money back. To be fair, even with the lockup and blade play, I doubt it is possible for the lock to fail or come unlocked.

As for the lock design, this is from the early days of this lock. I guarantee that technology and knowledge advances will allow for proper tolerances and material choices(steel interface).

Aside from being a grail, I was buying this to learn about the lock, to better implement it into a design I am working on. In light of this development, I won't be touching this particular knife.

Even with the lock totally bottomed out it's still functional, but at least with a standard CL with a steel liner I could swap out the liner and hopefully restore the lock back to new condition. Once the titanium is wore down I think your only option is to peen it, and that's not something I trust myself with doing. I hope Spyderco can get it sorted out for ya.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Even with the lock totally bottomed out it's still functional, but at least with a standard CL with a steel liner I could swap out the liner and hopefully restore the lock back to new condition. Once the titanium is wore down I think your only option is to peen it, and that's not something I trust myself with doing. I hope Spyderco can get it sorted out for ya.
Peening it could work, but it wouldn't fix it in the long run.

I imagine that the "easiest" way to fix it, would be to take apart the knife, mill out a recess on the back of the lockbar, install a piece of stainless steel into the recess and then tune the new steel interface to the proper lockup. That should, in theory, fix the knife and prevent further wear on the titanium.

That's how I would go about it, if I were a custom knife maker. But alas, I am just a lowly enthusiast. Lol.

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:34 am
Evil D wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I imagine that the "easiest" way to fix it, would be to take apart the knife, mill out a recess on the back of the lockbar, install a piece of stainless steel into the recess and then tune the new steel interface to the proper lockup. That should, in theory, fix the knife and prevent further wear on the titanium.

That's how I would go about it, if I were a custom knife maker. But alas, I am just a lowly enthusiast. Lol.

If Spyderco can't fix it this may be worth looking into if the price isn't astronomical.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:41 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:34 am
Evil D wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

If Spyderco can't fix it this may be worth looking into if the price isn't astronomical.
Possibly.

It depends on what I work out with the seller, after I talk with Spyderco. The hardest part will be finding a skilled craftsman, who is willing to do it.

-Thomas Jefferson
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

agreed, i know Razor Edge knives used to do lockbar inserts aftermarket, but I think he's more focused on his own knife line at this point.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 am
agreed, i know Razor Edge knives used to do lockbar inserts aftermarket, but I think he's more focused on his own knife line at this point.
Awesome to know, I was discussing a modification with him for a knife I was looking at already. Sent him a message, he's usually very quick to respond.

I'll report back later.

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

No dice, Josh isn't interested right now. :(

Anyone else know of a good knife maker, who will do modifications?

-Thomas Jefferson