Help identifying a Millie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThomC

Help identifying a Millie

Post by ThomC »

Hey folks, so I have my eye on a used Millie but cannot quite tell if it's legit or not. Seller says it has no box because it was part of a set from an auction. No biggie there, the rest of his stuff looks legit. I've already bought knives without their packaging even if it kinda messes with my OCD.
Here are some of the pics the seller sent me. My main point of concern is the blade shape and the markings.
It's cheap, but I'd rather not burn myself whatever the price tag.

European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Peter1960

Re: Help identifying a Millie

Post by Peter1960 »

Please do again a picture where I (we) can better see if the cutout on the handle (nearby the opening hole) is circular or noncircular.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I can't tell from the pictures, either. One thing is for certain, it has been sharpened a LOT.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Here are some of the others he sent me. Since they came by text message, they're quite small.

🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:34 am
I can't tell from the pictures, either. One thing is for certain, it has been sharpened a LOT.
Yeah that's what I'd gathered too
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

It's a fake. The print and screws are definitely wrong. The jimping doesn't look right either, and the chamfering on the scales looks too deep.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Looks fake to me, even considering it may have been sharpened a LOT, the plunge line looks really wrong to me so unless he took a grinder to it for whatever reason I'm calling fake. The Golden logo engraving and size look bogus to me too. The bug looks way too big too.
Last edited by Evil D on Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

Fake...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

The font doesn't look quite right, the plunge grind almost looks rounded off, and the chamfering looks off too. Could all be a trick of the light but I think it's a fake
Justin :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

That is a terrible plunge line, the edge has a significant J hook at the heel and some of the font looks off. I think it is fake but even if that was real I wouldn’t buy it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Without saying whether it's legit or not (somethIng I just don't feel qualified to do,) I would not buy that knife.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 am
That is a terrible plunge line, the edge has a significant J hook at the heel and some of the font looks off. I think it is fake but even if that was real I wouldn’t buy it.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Real or fake, I'd pass either way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:49 am
It's a fake. The print and screws are definitely wrong. The jimping doesn't look right either, and the chamfering on the scales looks too deep.

Are you sure? My CC numbered CF BG-42 Military has the same print, with the bolder font on the presentation side. I can't say that was unique to the CF BG-42 version, but I can't say it wasn't. As for the other issues you and others have noted, there have been so many changes in the Military over the years that, without knowing when it was manufactured, it's darn near impossible to say what's "correct" and what isn't. Sad fact is that. regardless of make, the only way to be 100% sure pretty much any knife on the secondary market these days is legitimate is to send it to the manufacturer for evaluation. None of which means I would suggest the OP purchase the knife if he is not confident that it's real.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It looks as though someone was a little exuberant with a belt sharpener. I’d pass.

Also, you said it is cheap. How cheap? That might indicate quite a lot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:22 am
Accutron wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:49 am

Are you sure? My CC numbered CF BG-42 Military has the same print, with the bolder font on the presentation side. I can't say that was unique to the CF BG-42 version, but I can't say it wasn't. As for the other issues you and others have noted, there have been so many changes in the Military over the years that, without knowing when it was manufactured, it's darn near impossible to say what's "correct" and what isn't. Sad fact is that. regardless of make, the only way to be 100% sure pretty much any knife on the secondary market these days is legitimate is to send it to the manufacturer for evaluation. None of which means I would suggest the OP purchase the knife if he is not confident that it's real.
The print on the presentation side appears smeared and distorted, with poor vertical alignment between characters.

The dead giveaway is the 'star of David' style scale screws, with no chamfering around the edges of the drive. Spyderco has never used screws like that on any Military, at least none that I have seen, all the way back to the earliest ATS-34 and 440V variants. This style of Torx screw is a hallmark of many Spyderco counterfeits.
jdw

Post by jdw »

It looks really wrong to me as well. I wouldn't buy it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

After a little bit of research, this indeed looks like a fake. Bummed to see that but also happy that you forumites helped me avoid that mistake. Here's a last pic I think seals the deal : the lip looks tapered to one side only

It's sad because comparing the pics side by side with a shop's it's almost on point.
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

On the basis of your pictures it's hard to say but I for myself tend to say it is not a legit Military as long as I don't have it on the table for detailed inspection.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

ThomC wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 am
After a little bit of research, this indeed looks like a fake. Bummed to see that but also happy that you forumites helped me avoid that mistake. Here's a last pic I think seals the deal : the lip looks tapered to one side only

It's sad because comparing the pics side by side with a shop's it's almost on point.
Hi, ThomC:
I asked Charlynn in Warranty & Repair to take a quick look and she confirmed (very quickly) that it's a counterfeit. W&R probably sees more counterfeit knives than anyone, so it's usually a quick answer. I'm glad that you avoided the purchase.

Make it a good day!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Now, thanks to Kristi and others, it´s clear that this is a counterfeit anyway... but still, just out of interest: Is it just the perspective or did they even not bother to give it the typical "curved" Millie clip? Looks rather straight to me on the pics...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)