Manix2 XL vs Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Re: Manix2 XL vs Shaman

Post by JMM »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:09 pm
Thinking about this more, several things come to mind.

1 - You like what you like, and it isn't always easy to say why.
2 - There is more to the apparent thickness of the Shaman than the blade stock. Comparing it to the PM2 with the same stock, the Shaman seems like a much stouter/thicker blade, and it is all about the blade shape and grind.
3 - I like a stout rather than a thin "slicey" blade on a pocket knife for the things I do. I don't do food prep with my PM2 or Shaman or any of my pocket knives, and that is where a "slicey" blade is needed. I guess a thinner blade goes through carboard easier (but grab a box-cutter for that).

And then there is the way the knife fits in hand and how the overall package "works". I just like the Shaman.
Tom, I am with you on all counts!
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Same here Tom. Carrying my 4V Shaman this week and honestly, I never feel hesitant about cutting anything in my warehouse duties. Large knife, very comfortable in hand, not a pocket hog. I'd take either of my Shamans over my PM2's if I were forced to keep one model.

I'm very surprised at how much larger the Manix XL is than the Shaman. For my purposes in a knife, I find the Shaman to be plenty robust for what I'm going to put it through.

Not trying to hate on the XL...but considering the size, would a smaller fixed blade with a nice sheath be an equal or better option?
And TkoK83Spy, I am also with you on all counts, I don't really care for the PM2 platform as a whole, I don't carry it, ever. In looking more at the size of the Manix2 XL, both handle & blade, and looking at its stock, it just doesn't make any sense (for me) to buy it, Manix2 for medium duty, Shaman for heavy/hard duty, end of story. I think for me to really want to buy the XL it would need to be much more like it's predecessor... I will stick with the Shaman...

Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I never can figure out if I like the PM2, Manix 2, or Shaman the best of all Spydercos. The Shaman is winning more often than the others lately, but it can change day by day.

As for the Manix 2 XL -- it just didn't work for me. If Vivi was here, he adores the XL and would give you his reasons. And in all honesty it may just have to do with having big hands. My hands are big, but there is no magic for me grabbing the XL. The Manix 2 on the other hand just belongs in my hand.

My Manix XL is my "truck knife" and lives in the storage compartment of my truck. I'll be glad it is there someday, but no pocket time for that poor knife. It needs a place, though you might argue that a fixed blade would be a better truck knife -- but it wouldn't fit in the storage compartment.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I only could handle and try (but never actually owned) both the Manix XL and the Shaman.

The Shaman is just an ergonomic masterpiece even among the many Spyderco-ergonomic-masterpieces. For me it was really hard to put down once I had it in hand cause it felt so perfect, and that counts a lot more than the things that actually don´t tick my "personal preference boxes" just "on paper". I´ll certainly own one eventually.

The Manix XL also felt great and like superb quality in hand, and though the tall Shaman blade is a good slicer, I prefer the thinner Manix blade. Still: I am pretty sure in the scenarios where I´d actually bring the XL, I´d very often go with a fixed blade anyway. It is just a bit too big and heavy for me to regularely be carried in pocket, except in cargo (side-of-the-leg) pockets.
But if I choose to be more of a collector in the sense of having many knives of which a good number would get used just occasionally: The Manix XL would be one of the first I´d buy!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

^^^I love the artwork underneath the knives!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^^Such a mom! :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:09 am
^^^Such a mom! :p
Totally. :)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Of course there is the military for a "big knife" -- but this all started with the OP having an opportunity for a unique Manix XL.

Funny that I can like the military but not the Manix XL.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Those are some great size comparison pics, thank you (and some pretty awesome background artwork as well!) It's not so much that the size of Manix2 XL is over the top to me, it's more that it doesn't seem like it's going to be any stronger than a standard Manix2 given they both have 0.13" blade stock. It seems to me I'd be better off with either the Manix2 XL's predecessor... or a Tantanka, which is another great large VG10 only knife, which is my only gripe with the Ulize. Anyhow, as I was lamenting above, I think at this point, as long as I'm needing a hard use folder, I think the Shaman is the only answer for me, which I have plenty of for the time being... (I think) ;) :D :)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:04 am
Of course there is the military for a "big knife" -- but this all started with the OP having an opportunity for a unique Manix XL.

Funny that I can like the military but not the Manix XL.
I do agree the Military is a fine "big knife" -- it's sorta in the same spot for me that the PM2 is, It's a fine knife, I just don't care to EDC it, like ever... I'm not saying anything is wrong with either, just not my jam.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:37 pm
Those are some great size comparison pics, thank you (and some pretty awesome background artwork as well!) It's not so much that the size of Manix2 XL is over the top to me, it's more that it doesn't seem like it's going to be any stronger than a standard Manix2 given they both have 0.13" blade stock. It seems to me I'd be better off with either the Manix2 XL's predecessor... or a Tantanka, which is another great large VG10 only knife, which is my only gripe with the Ulize. Anyhow, as I was lamenting above, I think at this point, as long as I'm needing a hard use folder, I think the Shaman is the only answer for me, which I have plenty of for the time being... (I think) ;) :D :)

With all due respect, but just imho the Manix 2 XL blade is still plenty strong enough for any hard use you could put a folder through...
I think both on the Shaman and on the Manix you´d break the pivot or something else before you could break the blade.

If you´re talking about the tips and/or edge "stability" though, that might be a different story. Could be (I don´t know) that the Shamen has a stronger tip, and maybe one or the other has a more "robust" grind.

I figure if the Manix XL would not be a bit too big in pocket for me, I´d think about if I needed the extra edge length it offers compared to the Shaman (and though I normally like longer blades / edges, in a hard use folder that would be of less importance for me. I´d go with the Shaman).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:50 pm
JMM wrote:

With all due respect, but just imho the Manix 2 XL blade is still plenty strong enough for any hard use you could put a folder through...
I think both on the Shaman and on the Manix you´d break the pivot or something else before you could break the blade.

If you´re talking about the tips and/or edge "stability" though, that might be a different story. Could be (I don´t know) that the Shamen has a stronger tip, and maybe one or the other has a more "robust" grind.

I figure if the Manix XL would not be a bit too big in pocket for me, I´d think about if I needed the extra edge length it offers compared to the Shaman (and though I normally like longer blades / edges, in a hard use folder that would be of less importance for me. I´d go with the Shaman).
Experience has shown me otherwise, a couple times, which I why I have stuck to the Shaman for true hard use tasks... My whole thread was really to try and sort out if a Manix2 XL would be more like a Shaman or more like a Manix2 in terms of tolerance to hard use. After all the input, more reading on my part, looking at a ton of pics, I am fairly certain my decision is sound... for me, as my EDC, for my tasks.... ;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The manix 2 backlock is probably the closest thing to a shaman.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:59 pm
The manix 2 backlock is probably the closest thing to a shaman.
Yes!! And it is one of my all time favorites. Too bad it went the way of the dodo. But I have one, and with a Shaman or two, I am hardly lacking.
JMM

Post by JMM »

VooDooChild, you are the second person I've heard that from, I have also heard the predecessor to the Manix2 XL is probably more what I was looking for... I have held a Tatanka, I have not held a Manix2 XL -- I am 99% sure a Tatanka would be quite capable of any hard use task I might have for it, I just wish it came in something other than VG10... But I hardly have room to complain, I have an excellent selection of steels at my disposal in the Shaman platform. All that said, this has been a very interesting and informative thread for me for sure, thank you everyone for your time and input, I truly appreciate it! :)

Cheers,

John
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JMM wrote:

Experience has shown me otherwise, a couple times, which I why I have stuck to the Shaman for true hard use tasks... My whole thread was really to try and sort out if a Manix2 XL would be more like a Shaman or more like a Manix2 in terms of tolerance to hard use. After all the input, more reading on my part, looking at a ton of pics, I am fairly certain my decision is sound... for me, as my EDC, for my tasks.... ;)

Shaman certainly is a perfect choice for a hard use folder, and as said in my personal experience most "hard use" tasks do not require a particular long edge (it´s more the "lighter use" slicing tasks that do so), so the comparable shorter edge of the Shaman would be just fine for me.

Hope you´ll get the Shaman version you prefer and will enjoy it!! :)
JMM

Post by JMM »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm
JMM wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
JMM wrote:

Shaman certainly is a perfect choice for a hard use folder, and as said in my personal experience most "hard use" tasks do not require a particular long edge (it´s more the "lighter use" slicing tasks that do so), so the comparable shorter edge of the Shaman would be just fine for me.

Hope you´ll get the Shaman version you prefer and will enjoy it!! :)
Thanks! I have all the Shaman steels available (not models) currently -- So it's just time to wait for the K390, or 20CV, whichever comes first... nah, who am I kidding, I'm pretty sure I need both...
DukeNiemand

Post by DukeNiemand »

I much prefer the Shaman. The hook on the back of the Manix2 XL handle doesn't work for me. It's also a ton of knife for not much cutting edge. The 3D g10 of the Shaman handle is just so much more comfortable and solid feeling. Cutting performance is about equivalent - thicker stock on the Shaman is offset by being a tad thinner BTE. Lastly, the CBBL is just not as easy to actuate as the comp lock.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JMM wrote:

I would say try to be realistic with just how hard you think your hard use will be. What exactly do you plan on doing with this knife? The standard Manix 2 is no slouch, I've done some pretty stupid stuff with the LW too..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68682
All SE all the time since 2017
~David