2020 hopes and dreams

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SteveMidwest

Re: 2020 hopes and dreams

Post by SteveMidwest »

PStone wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:37 pm
JMM wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:14 pm
JMM wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 pm

;) :D

and I can already tell ya for 2021... same sprint as this years Rex45, in 4V...
15V Shaman and/or Manix2
s125v Shaman and/or Manix2

And let's not forget too. That we still have not gotten a Manix 2 in G10, with Maxamet! :D :spyder:
Well, now, that's only partially true -- depending on your love level with Maxamet, I've seen first hand the blade swap into a G10 frame does work quite nicely. I personally don't love Maxamet that much, I mean, it is good stuff, but... Yeah, just not that great. I did buy the Fradon 4V Manix2, which costs about the same as buying a G10 Manix2 & LW Maxamet Manix2, so there ya go I guess. ;)

All ribbing aside, it would be cool to see more Maxamet available, in any form. First thing after more 4V.

:D
I swapped a Manix Maxamet into a g10 with poor results. Late lockup on the g10 frame, and no lockup on the s110v blade in the gray frn handle. So abandoned the idea. Still don’t really know why it wouldn’t work. My best guess was the different backspacers causing the issue.

But yeah, you would think Golden has all the parts. Why haven’t we seen it yet? Getting both versions in Rex45. Already have s110v in both. Why not Maxamet?

Yes, why not the Maxamet too? It is odd.
We (Manix lovers) did get the 'Para' treatment for the Manix 2, with Rex 45 finally. 20 months after the others got it. I guess we'll have to be patient . . . . Sal. :)

And while on this subject. Let's just go ahead and ask for the upcoming (hopeful) Manix 2 Maxamet. To come in gray Micarta. How sweet would that be! :D

:spyder:
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JMM wrote:
SteveMidwest wrote:
JMM wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:23 pm

So much YES in there!

15V Shaman and/or Manix2

And let's not forget too. That we still have not gotten a Manix 2 in G10, with Maxamet! :D :spyder:
Well, now, that's only partially true -- depending on your love level with Maxamet, I've seen first hand the blade swap into a G10 frame does work quite nicely. I personally don't love Maxamet that much, I mean, it is good stuff, but... Yeah, just not that great. I did buy the Fradon 4V Manix2, which costs about the same as buying a G10 Manix2 & LW Maxamet Manix2, so there ya go I guess. ;)

All ribbing aside, it would be cool to see more Maxamet available, in any form. First thing after more 4V.

I'm all for more 4V as well. I'd say, the Manix 2 could use another round of it. This time, in a full-flat grind variation.
Maybe we'll have to wait, until some Dealer or Distributor, orders a Run that way.
Are you listening, St. Nick's Knives? :D
In a red canvas Micarta, this time though.

JMM

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:58 pm
JMM wrote:
SteveMidwest wrote:
JMM wrote:

15V Shaman and/or Manix2

I'm all for more 4V as well. I'd say, the Manix 2 could use another round of it. This time, in a full-flat grind variation.
Maybe we'll have to wait, until some Dealer or Distributor, orders a Run that way.

I am honestly VERY shocked at the lack of 4V models, outside of St. Nicks & Fradon Lock, the only thing (AFAIK) Spyderco makes in it is the Province... It is my favourite steel in any Spyderco followed by Rex45 which was my favourite for the last couple years. I don't really understand why more people aren't more interested in it. I have the Shaman and P3 from St. Nicks and the Fradon Manix2 and the steel is absolutely on point.... I'm stumped by the lack of demand. I do feel lucky that it does so happen to be in my top 3 favourite models, so I have little room to whine about it I guess. :D
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

Yojumbo, with black hardware of course

Spydomatic: a cross between the Spydiechef and the Police 4 LW, 4+" edge with chopping ergos - it slices, it dices. The Police 4 LW is already quite useful for food prep.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

PStone wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 pm
Pancake wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:48 am
Change my mind, I want one more Military sprint run.
What would your one more be? The only way I can think to change your mind is to convince you that need more than just one more.

Coyote brown g10 and AEB-L would be about perfect for me.
Gray g10 Maxamet too.
And although maybe not for me, a ton of requests for a K390 Ranger green. So I would really like to see that happen too.
Honestly, I would take any Military sprint run (if I could buy it in Europe).
AEB-L sounds interesting, Maxamet not that much (just afraid to have such a big piece of Maxamet ....and then snap!).
Tool steel is preferable (PD1, 4V....), But I take anything.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JMM wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:08 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:58 pm
JMM wrote:
SteveMidwest wrote:

Well, now, that's only partially true -- depending on your love level with Maxamet, I've seen first hand the blade swap into a G10 frame does work quite nicely. I personally don't love Maxamet that much, I mean, it is good stuff, but ... Yeah, just not that great. I did buy the Fradon 4V Manix2, which costs about the same as buying a G10 Manix2 & LW Maxamet Manix2, so there ya go I guess. ;)

I am honestly VERY shocked at the lack of 4V models, outside of St. Nicks & Fradon Lock, the only thing (AFAIK) Spyderco makes in it is the Province... It is my favourite steel in any Spyderco followed by Rex45 which was my favourite for the last couple years. I don't really understand why more people aren't more interested in it. I have the Shaman and P3 from St. Nicks and the Fradon Manix2 and the steel is absolutely on point.... I'm stumped by the lack of demand. I do feel lucky that it does so happen to be in my top 3 favourite models, so I have little room to whine about it I guess. :D

Yes, that 4V is good stuff, and surprisingly so, for me. No Tungsten or Cobalt, so I am surprised that they have gotten it so hard. My Fradon Lock Manix, is 65 HRC. Low in alloy, so the near 4% Vanadium content, really shines. It does remind me of the simple composition in Cruwear, but Spyderco has not taken it nearly as high in hardness. :spyder:

I started hunting for a good deal on a St. Nick's Shaman, right after I finally tested my 4V Manix 2. I have yet to be successful. :rolleyes:
behinDedge

Post by behinDedge »

+1 for manix 2 LW in 4V (no DLC please) or cruwear :)

Also, I'd be happy for any of these:
K390 chaparral
K390 shaman
Cruwear endela
LC200N kapara

+ new Mule in 15V :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

A PM2 sized Chaparral frn in k390 :D
Justin :spyder:
PStone

Post by PStone »

The Manix Maxamet g10/frn subject reminded me we haven’t a g10 Native version either. So I also would like to see a linerless gray g10 Maxamet Native in 2020. I may do a swap tonight to make it so.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Zachreed, Derangedhermit,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

behinDedge wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am

I'll buy pretty much any new Manix variant, but I'd prefer 4v and LW if I had my first choice. Then K390. Or 3v (or an XL in 3v)...

My list goes on.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I’d like to see Spyderco put out some more sharpening rod options:

•Higher grit CBN rods for the Sharpmaker. An 800grit rod would be awesome. I know a lot of folks want low grit stones as well as higher. Would be nice to see 3-4 different grit CBN rods.

•High grit stone options for the new Galley that’s coming out. 2000 grit rods would be clutch for kitchen knives. Not sure what it comes with but 400-800-2000-6000 would be a great progression.

As for knives: I just hope to see some more Wharncliffe delicas in different steels, along with Para 2 & 3 Tantos in different steels.

Oh- and I’ll definitely echo what so many others have said- more Cruwear & 4V. I’m all for making Cruwear a regular production steel on Golden models.
JMM

Post by JMM »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:40 pm
behinDedge wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:27 am

I'll buy pretty much any new Manix variant, but I'd prefer 4v and LW if I had my first choice. Then K390. Or 3v (or an XL in 3v)...

My list goes on.
I have the Fradon 4V Manix2 and it's awesome, I would love to see a FFG satin version too... I found 3V (Tuff) to be really uninspiring, it doesn't belong in a folder from my experience, a big fixed blade you can baton if you should ever want or need to, heck yeah!
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

More wire clips. A Michael Walker (C 22), Shaman in S 90 V, Military in SPY 27 or S 45 VN. A sprint run of the Smock in an upgraded steel.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: