Maxamet PM2 at Blade H.Q. I bought one how about you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Maximet PM2 at Blade H.Q. I bought one how about you?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Put it through the grinder today broke down cardboard for 30 minutes straight cleaned the tape Gunk off and it still cuts receipt paper.

Beats my K390 Police and any M390 S30V S35VN or CTS-XHP I ever used for edge retention as well as quite a few others to include S90V and S110V

Incredible steel.

Has anything other than PM2 Para 3 Native and Manix 2 ever been produced? Looking hard at a Native.
sok

Post by sok »

A restocking of the Para 3 would probably push me over the edge to getting some Maxamet.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ok still going strong no need to touch up yet.

Corrosion Report:

Cut a piece of cheese with it last night, washed and wiped it down.

Closed the knife left it on the counter this morning opened it and evidently some water gathered on the lettering next to the handle.

Some rust and darkness formed also see some patena along the blade.

No where near as bad as M4 and far less than K390 has exhibited in the past but not as corrosion resistant as cruwear.

Oiled it up wiped it down will disassemble and inspect and FLITZ it out.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I notice that when the light catches my bug logo just right it has a blue outline. I dont seem to notice this on the bug logo of many of my other knives, although I want to say I have seen it before. Is that something special for maxamet?, are my other knives no longer shiny enough?, am I just losing my mind?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sounds like patina to me and honestly with the awesome stone washed finish I think it will blend and look great, I really prefer a stonewashed finish over all others. Satin to me going from spine to blade is just like cheap grind marks and an unfinished piece.

As a matter of fact I like Maximet so much with this beautiful stone washed finish I just ordered a Spyderco Native in Maximet from DLT.

I always have corrosion issues but for certain steels I am willing to go the extra mile to care for them, Maximet is worth it to me.

K390 on the other hand has proven to be far to easy to go to rust so I will not buy any more.

Have to admit I am looking at a Native Chief in REX45 as my first knife in that steel.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Decided to freshen up the blade.

Also decided to use the Michael Christie method
going spine to blade free hand sharpening instead of different angles.

Guys a genius.

Used a 1000 grit Shapton Glass stone.

Very nice indeed touched up the blade swiftly, can’t see why anyone would have trouble sharpening Maximet.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:54 pm
Decided to freshen up the blade.

Also decided to use the Michael Christie method
going spine to blade free hand sharpening instead of different angles.

Guys a genius.

Used a 1000 grit Shapton Glass stone.

Very nice indeed touched up the blade swiftly, can’t see why anyone would have trouble sharpening Maximet.
Pictures?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Tomorrow, thanks for caring enough to ask.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Hey Bloke after experiencing this Maxamet steel I am with you I would buy a MIlitary in it. In fact I have a Spyderco Native in this steel in transit as I write this.

Here are some pics, of the PM2 I let some water sit in the area where the lettering is and it caused corrosion and patina but was able to use Flitz to rub it out there and on other spots on the blade.

This steel is less corrosion resistant than Cruwear but holds a sharp edge longer and is still easy to sharpen I touched it up on a 1000 grit Shapton glass stone recently just to get the blade crisp again after a weeks worth of cardboard cutting etc...

Robishere

Post by Robishere »

I bought a para 2 and para 3 and native in Maxamet when they came out. I used my native and it was so fast to patina I never did use either para. They sat in the safe.
When I bought them I had an alert posted to me when the maxamet para 2 and 3 were in stock. I got the notice and had to pull off the road to buy them. When I got home they were sold out.
Now I realize they will sit on the shelf forever and I have a kijiji ad to trade them both for a new ZT 0562ti.
Believe it or not people want to offer no trade, but less than half of what I bought them for. I will hold them just on principle for that.
They were neat when I got the bug, but now I believe they will just sit for years.
“Putting fancy thoughts in a woman’s head is like putting lace on a bowling ball.....no good can come of it.” - Archie Bunker.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Use them! Or learn to be ok with and take care of a knife that patinas.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Girlfriend accidentally rusted up some M4 in the kitchen
I was like WTF Dang it!!

From that day on she swore no stainless around her! Si I said honey if it does not have a yellow handle assume it will rust.

This morning she opened a Diet Coke it **** out of the can and landed on my Maximet Native.

She was sooo sweet and so worried she was like the gray one is not stainless is it, you said yellow is.

I said yes she told me what happened and how she wiped it down. I said don’t worry about it, it is just not that important.

I know how to deal with corrosion and patina when I got to it, it was just fine with only a wipe down phosphoric acid and all.

Rinsed it off oiled it down all is good. Honestly the steel is one of my favorites total users steel cut like a charm holds a truly sharp blade for a long time.

Stone wash resists tape junk and cuts down on friction passing through materials.
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

Robishere wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:03 pm
I bought a para 2 and para 3 and native in Maxamet when they came out. I used my native and it was so fast to patina I never did use either para. They sat in the safe.
When I bought them I had an alert posted to me when the maxamet para 2 and 3 were in stock. I got the notice and had to pull off the road to buy them. When I got home they were sold out.
Now I realize they will sit on the shelf forever and I have a kijiji ad to trade them both for a new ZT 0562ti.
Believe it or not people want to offer no trade, but less than half of what I bought them for. I will hold them just on principle for that.
They were neat when I got the bug, but now I believe they will just sit for years.

Or you could sell them to someone like me who perpetually misses out on the para 2 but wants one desperately. I actually enjoy patina. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet is awesome stuff. Even with all the latest/greatest I haven't found anything that holds an edge as long.
PStone

Post by PStone »

AwayFromMySpydieHole wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Or you could sell them to someone like me who perpetually misses out on the para 2 but wants one desperately. I actually enjoy patina. :)
Sent you a pm where to get one and another with the link. Fingers crossed for you! :spyder: