Pacific Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BradFrisky

Re: Pacific Salt 2

Post by BradFrisky »

Thank you FreeDiver! The actual picture with the tape measure was perfect!
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

I have the Endura 4, and it is my most-used pocket knife. I got a Pacific Salt 2 yesterday. I thought the lighter weight and less noticeable appearance of the Pacific Salt 2 justified buying one.

I was surprised by the increase in blade height at the widest point and by the increased blade weight compared to the FFG Endura 4. I measured 1.35 ounces, versus one ounce for the Endura 4 FFG blade. After I moved the clip for tip-down carry, it occurred to me that a blade swap would maximize strength and heft in one knife and lightness in another: the Pacific Salt 2 with the lighter Endura 4 blade would be a real treat for every day carry. Unfortunately, swapping the blade and lock bar from the Pacific Salt 2 into the Endura 4 didn't work. There is a change in geometry, I think, between the lock bar pivot and the blade pivot, but I didn't look into it. Once I found it wouldn't work, I just put the guts of each back where they came from.

Also, the design of the Pacific Salt 2 changes how I have to reassemble it, compared to the Endura 4. I have only done it once, and I may find an easier way, but as it stands I find it more tedious to reassemble.
Monty

Post by Monty »

Has there been any word on whether we'll see these in yellow?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:52 pm
Has there been any word on whether we'll see these in yellow?
I am almost 100 % certain Sal said somewhere that it will come in yellow too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hate those E4 style handles ... I can't help it :o Lucky for me I bought 6 Pac Salts first gen and the seventh is heading my way... I guess I am quite covered for the rest of my life ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

An update/correction on my above post...I didn't feel like I understood what had happened, so I took my time tonight and tried the blade swap again. The Endura 4 FFG blade and lockbar fit beautifully into the Salt 2 "chassis", and locks up just like it did before the change. I now have a 2.45 oz blacked-out daily carry general purpose knife and a sturdier knife for harder-use tasks. I'm very pleased with how things turned out.

For reference, the Pacific Salt 2 as it came weighed 2.85 oz on my scale and the Endura 4 weighed 3.3 oz. After the swap, the weights are 2.45 oz and 3.7 oz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice to know. I figured it had to work. Thanks for your efforts, derangedhermit.
- best wishes, Jazz.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Black lock bar and screws are a nice extra.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

phaust wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:39 am

I must be the only one to not like that. Looks good for all black, but not with a satin blade.
- best wishes, Jazz.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am
phaust wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:39 am

I must be the only one to not like that. Looks good for all black, but not with a satin blade.
Spyderco probably did this to make it harder to produce fakes.
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

The thinness of the FRN shell and fineness of the screws makes me wonder if anyone has stuck the blade of this type of design into a board or log (or clamped the blade) and twisted the grip, to see how hard (or easy) it is to get one of these to pop apart? It looks well engineered, but at some point the plastic will break or the inserts will pull out or the tiny screw threads will strip, no matter how well-designed it is. I don't think the blade is going to be what gives.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Pacific Salt 2 straight spine mod by Josh at Razor Edge Knives.

before

after

Gen 1 next to PS2

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really nice.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

derangedhermit wrote: The thinness of the FRN shell and fineness of the screws makes me wonder if anyone has stuck the blade of this type of design into a board or log (or clamped the blade) and twisted the grip, to see how hard (or easy) it is to get one of these to pop apart? It looks well engineered, but at some point the plastic will break or the inserts will pull out or the tiny screw threads will strip, no matter how well-designed it is. I don't think the blade is going to be what gives.
Its been a long time since I have tried looking any of this stuff up, but...
It should take a lot to actually snap an frn handle. The pacific salt is also one of the most abused production knives on the planet.
If a knife is designed well, and the materials are good, the blade can easily be the first thing to give.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Anything can break, especially if you intentionally try to break it, but there is plenty of evidence out there that shows these are plenty strong.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Pacific Salt gen 1 straight spine (top) & Pacific Salt 2 (bottom).

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

There's break testing evidence in this thread. Sorry for Photobucket's ruining of the pics, though. It's a Tasman 1 handle.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44375
- best wishes, Jazz.