Any longtime users of the G-10 Stretch 2 (ZDP-189)?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Any longtime users of the G-10 Stretch 2 (ZDP-189)?

Post by TheGiant80 »

I'm in the market for a medium-sized, ergonomic slicing machine EDC blade that holds an edge for a good amount of time. I've already got the FRN VG10 Stretch 2 variant, but the beefier G-10 scales and modest added weight would do nicely in my XXXL hand. Also, stepping up to ZDP is something I've been flirting with for months. Everything from opening mail and boxes to food prep at a campsite would be in the cards as far as usage goes.

I've read every review I can find about it, but all the information is more than a year or two old. I'd love to hear from you Spyderheads with experience using this blade. How it's treated you. Things I should know.

Thanks for your input!

(I should say, I'm also considering the ZDP Endura 4, but as that's not available in G-10, the S2 holds my interest more.)
TomAiello

Re: Any longtime users of the G-10 Stretch 2 (ZDP-189)?

Post by TomAiello »

Have you considered the K390 Police 4? I think you can still find them at some smaller retailers.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

If you want to buy one and send it to me I'll tell you how it is. ;-)

For what it's worth, I love the ZDP Stretch. I just haven't had a G-10 model. Great EDC knife. Holds a fine edge for a long time, and does pretty much everything you need a knife to do. A+.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:30 pm
Have you considered the K390 Police 4? I think you can still find them at some smaller retailers.
A friend of mine has the P4 K390, and tried to convince me to pick one up for myself. It's a bit too long for what I have in mind, and I can't swing the extra $68 dollars anyway.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:41 pm
If you want to buy one and send it to me I'll tell you how it is. ;-)

For what it's worth, I love the ZDP Stretch. I just haven't had a G-10 model. Great EDC knife. Holds a fine edge for a long time, and does pretty much everything you need a knife to do. A+.
Excellent! Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have this model and honestly ZDP is not a bad steel but I would not pay extra to have it. The blade is a bit longer than the standard FRN model.

The handle will not be an issue with extra large mitts but the FRN is the better of the two.

If you are in the market and can take some more VG-10 look at the straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:57 pm
If you are in the market and can take some more VG-10 look at the straight Spine Stretch.
Having owned both, I do prefer the Straight Spine Stretch. But I think this is mostly to do with the "look" of it. In practice, I don't think either really has an advantage.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have XXL hands, not quite as big as yours but big enough I find any knives uncomfortable. Have you looked at the Endura and the Manix 2? They fit my hand just fine and there are blade steel and scale choices.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I love the G10 Stretch 2. It's a tough and reliable knife that has earned a spot in my "permanent" collection.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 pm
Having owned both, I do prefer the Straight Spine Stretch. But I think this is mostly to do with the "look" of it. In practice, I don't think either really has an advantage.
Agreed, was offering an alternative that is still in the family but a bit different in a good way.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a big fan of the Stretch and I have the G10 model as well as a few others. There is nothing wrong with the G10 model and I like ZDP but I never carry it. Mostly because I have too many knives and when I do grab a Stretch it is usually my Super Blue Stretch1.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 pm
I think one or the other could potentially have an advantage for some people over the resp. other, due to the different tips:

Straight Spine Stretch more pointy (PM2-ish), but less robust and less "wide" tip (again, this can be a pro for some and a con for others)
"Regular" Stretch a bit more robust, but less pointy and "wider" tip. Probably better for skinning and really hard use, and if one uses the knife for food prep better for spreading stuff on for example a sandwich or the like.

Additionally, the straight spine Stretch has less choil in the blade part (but the overall width of the choil still is at least as wide as on a PM2) and by that a bit more actual cutting edge than the "regular" Stretch
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:16 pm
I'm in the market for a medium-sized, ergonomic slicing machine EDC blade that holds an edge for a good amount of time. I've already got the FRN VG10 Stretch 2 variant, but the beefier G-10 scales and modest added weight would do nicely in my XXXL hand. Also, stepping up to ZDP is something I've been flirting with for months. Everything from opening mail and boxes to food prep at a campsite would be in the cards as far as usage goes.

I've read every review I can find about it, but all the information is more than a year or two old. I'd love to hear from you Spyderheads with experience using this blade. How it's treated you. Things I should know.

Thanks for your input!

(I should say, I'm also considering the ZDP Endura 4, but as that's not available in G-10, the S2 holds my interest more.)

Ever thought of custom scales for the Stretch?

Paul "the Deacon" has some VERY nice examples, and I may point you to one post of him showing some of those:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86068&p=1402882&hil ... h#p1402882
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:31 am
I have XXL hands, not quite as big as yours but big enough I find any knives uncomfortable. Have you looked at the Endura and the Manix 2? They fit my hand just fine and there are blade steel and scale choices.
I live in Canada and usually only check out the scale/steel options available north of the border. I made the mistake of seeing what the US dealers have on offer.....and promptly fell in love with a certain Endura 4 variant. Still considering the G-10 Stretch 2 for sure, but it's suddenly taken a back seat. TOO MANY AWESOME KNIVES! GEEZE! :)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

As a sidenote, I personally think the G10 handles make the knife feel a bit thinner than FRN. The ergos are still great, but if it's a beefy handle you're looking for I might stick with the FRN.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:31 am
I live in Canada and usually only check out the scale/steel options available north of the border. I made the mistake of seeing what the US dealers have on offer.....and promptly fell in love with a certain Endura 4 variant Still considering the G-10 Stretch 2 for sure, but it's suddenly taken a back seat. TOO MANY AWESOME KNIVES! GEEZE! :)

May I ask which Endura variant? HAP 40 Pakkawood maybe?! :rolleyes:

Endura 4 and Stretch 1 are my favorite folders of all times and all brands... never can finally decide which of the two is actually my absolute number 1.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I have the CF ZDP-189 Stretch. It's a very nice knife and IIRC a little difficult to sharpen. I've given the lightweight Stretch as a thank you gift several times when staying with friends while traveling. It's been pushed to the bottom of the list by other knives I like better and hasn't been in my pocket for a couple of years. I'll carry it again and reacquaint myself with it.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Endura 4 and Stretch 1 are my favorite folders of all times and all brands... never can finally decide which of the two is actually my absolute number 1.
Maybe.. :)
Do you have a Pakkawood E4? Can I send you a PM with a few questions about it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Maybe.. :)
Do you have a Pakkawood E4? Can I send you a PM with a few questions about it?
Giant, of course you can send me a PM anytime without asking beforehand and I´ll be glad to reply as good as I can! :)

But: I was just guessing that you could be thinking about the Pakkawood HAP 40 Endura, since you said you wanted an increase in edge holding over VG10 and not FRN. That does not leave too many choices... ;)
I myself don´t own that particular model, but "just" the FRN burnt orange HAP 40 Endura. But I´d certainly love the Pakkawood version!

I´d recommend that you just start a thread about the Pakkawood HAP 40 Endura with your questions and I am sure people who own one and know a lot more about it than I do will be happy to help you out?

On the HAP 40 steel: I am not a steel expert by any means in the context of this forum and do not have a ton of experience with many steels and sharpening!
That being said (and maybe the impressions of just an average Joe are even helpfull for you or some): HAP 40 is probably my favorite steel. Still fairly easy too sharpen on my regular Sharpmaker, holds an edge more than long enough for me, never had any chipping issues and I personally love the cladded Spyderco version (SUS 410 / HAP 40) - concerning looks, function and historical background.