Burnt orange Shaman color - disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jayhawker

Burnt orange Shaman color - disappointed

Post by jayhawker »

I know pictures can be deceiving, but I'm super underwhelmed by video footage of the burnt orange Shaman. Nothing like the pic. Color looks super washed out, none of the great textured shown in the pic, am I the only one?
shaman video.png
shaman pic.png
VooDooChild

Re: Burnt orange Shaman color - disappointed

Post by VooDooChild »

Its all just lighting.
There are several pics of the s110v native 5 lightweight that make it look like a much lighter color of blue than it is. In real life it is very dark.
I wouldnt worry about it too much. You cant really tell until you get one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
jayhawker

Post by jayhawker »

I think I'm more disappointed by the plasticy smoothness of it more than color even. That wouldn't be a lighting thing, right?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Lighting definitely makes a big difference, but I will say the g10 color on the rex45 manix is much closer to that video image than to the promo pic. More of a terra cotta or brownish orange color. But either way, it definitely looks better in person than in that video, imo. Very earthy tone, which I like a lot. The Shaman g10 is smoother than the manix, though, so might look a bit different.

Edit to add the pic I took of the manix. Maybe gives you a better idea of what color to expect.

- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have had the original sprint for a couple years now, and I didn't really care for it all that much at first, but it's really grown on me the last couple years... I was really glad to see the Manix2 was a 99% perfect match colour wise to the original Burnt Orange. I'm not sure why the colour of both the Rex45 and of the Cobalt Blue Spy27 were so hyper-day-glow, but I would really have been sad if it was the colour the release showed..... but there are tons of nice Micarta/TeroTuf/etc.. scale solutions out there....
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

I'm interested to know, where that video is, that you took a screen shot of, jayhawker?
01:46 minutes long, and done by Knife Center at Shot Show 2020, by the looks of it. I must have missed that video, somehow. But now after a quick search. Knife Center has no such video on YouTube. That length, and titled "Spyderco CPM Rex 45".
Can you tell us, where else that video my be? Did they put that one up on Facebook by chance, or?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I didn't think I'd like it but it's great in person IMO

jayhawker

Post by jayhawker »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:48 pm
I'm interested to know, where that video is, that you took a screen shot of, jayhawker?
01:46 minutes long, and done by Knife Center at Shot Show 2020, by the looks of it. I must have missed that video, somehow. But now after a quick search. Knife Center has no such video on YouTube. That length, and titled "Spyderco CPM Rex 45".
Can you tell us, where else that video my be? Did they put that one up on Facebook by chance, or?
Should have stated in the original post, got it from the knifecenter product page here https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP229 ... sprint-run
jayhawker

Post by jayhawker »

Sounds like maybe I need to give them a chance. Eric does say they’ll patina which sounds cool. My problem with custom scales is at that point might as well buy a used crucarta shaman and call it a day.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The color is the one thing I dislike about my REX 45 Military.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I prefer this burnt orange to any other shade of orange.
Different strokes.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Website pic might just be a rendering. Lots of companies do color changes like that.

Either way, this color is...not for me. I've changed far too many diapers and it gives me flashbacks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jayhawker,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your disappointment.

other than the color, what do you think of the knife?

sal
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I didn't even know these were available anywhere. Did I miss the drop?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The burnt orange in person looks soooo much better than that stock photo! That actually looks closer to rosewood than burnt orange.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm
I didn't even know these were available anywhere. Did I miss the drop?

No Tom, you didn't miss it. :)
He was just comparing, what he sees as great looking Stock photos, to the Prototype knife itself. That he is looking at now, in the Shot Show coverage videos. :spyder:
jayhawker

Post by jayhawker »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 pm
Hi Jayhawker,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your disappointment.

other than the color, what do you think of the knife?

sal
Thanks, Sal! My post was a bit unfair, critizing a color I've never seen in person. I imagine it's a nice looking color in person, and color has to be near the top of the subjective list, so you'll never please everyone there. While I can't comment on the knife, I've heard so much good about the Shaman I think I'll try my best to snag one of these before they're gone so I can give it a proper chance in person. And if another micarta runs comes along...well I might be in trouble with my wife :p
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

jayhawker wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:16 pm
Sounds like maybe I need to give them a chance. Eric does say they’ll patina which sounds cool. My problem with custom scales is at that point might as well buy a used crucarta shaman and call it a day.
Well I'm sure this shaman will be popular so if you buy one and don't like the color, and don't want to replace the scales, you'll easily be able to sell it and get your money back.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jayhawker,

Not wise to be in trouble with your wife.

sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:51 pm
jayhawker wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:16 pm
Well I'm sure this shaman will be popular so if you buy one and don't like the color, and don't want to replace the scales, you'll easily be able to sell it and get your money back.
It's actually rather different steel, (a bit better IMO) so I wouldn't quite call it a CruCarta no matter what scales you put on it... And Julia is on point, regardless of anything else, you will have zero issue recouping your investment.... ok, well within reason... ;)