Caly Jr 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Caly Jr 2

Post by araneae »

I have had a love affair with the Caly Jr for over a decade. I got my first from a forumite who messaged me and offered a like new vg-10 PE. I loved most things about it, but rarely carried it because it would be hard to replace. Since then, I have nabbed a couple Micarta SE versions, a stainless PE and a Super blue. I would love to see a new version materialize with some upgrades.

Things I love about the knife:
-linerless FRN is super lightweight
-nice contoured FRN handles
-enough blade (~2.8") to be very versatile
-reminds me of a Dragonfly
-swedges
-vg-10 is a great steel (although BD1N would certainly work)

Things I would change:
-switch to wire clip, tip up carry
-slightly deepen the choil, think sage lightweight
-jimping, think Dragonfly

I know there is a Caly 3.5 lightweight in the pipeline, and I think that a Jr 2 would be a nice compliment for those that prefer or are restricted to under 3" blades.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kennethsime

Re: Caly Jr 2

Post by kennethsime »

I'd love for a lightweight Caly family, but would be most excited about a Caly 3 LW. I'd like the Caly Jr. as a smaller version of the more recent Caly 3 and 3.5 designs, with the deeper chol and more pronounced hump.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I do like the overall look/design of pretty much everything in the Caly line, especially the older brown one with the longer blade and super slim profile, I've held it, it's a beauty... I just can't bring myself to buy a pinned knife. Ever. ;)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I just wish the lockbar on my SB Caly Jr would sit flush. I've bought three seperate ones, all of them had it.

It really irks me, I don't see how it made it past QC.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm not sure about the 3.5 but the standard Caly really needs the blade to seat into the handle further. I haven't bought another one since my first because it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

araneae wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 pm
I have had a love affair with the Caly Jr for over a decade. I got my first from a forumite who messaged me and offered a like new vg-10 PE. I loved most things about it, but rarely carried it because it would be hard to replace. Since then, I have nabbed a couple Micarta SE versions, a stainless PE and a Super blue. I would love to see a new version materialize with some upgrades.

Things I love about the knife:
-linerless FRN is super lightweight
-nice contoured FRN handles
-enough blade (~2.8") to be very versatile
-reminds me of a Dragonfly
-swedges
-vg-10 is a great steel (although BD1N would certainly work)

Things I would change:

I know there is a Caly 3.5 lightweight in the pipeline, and I think that a Jr 2 would be a nice compliment for those that prefer or are restricted to under 3" blades.

Add a pivot screw
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Fishscale and swedge make the Calypso Jr a Calypso Jr
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

araneae wrote:
Things I would change:

This and torx construction would be my two biggest changes. I’m guessing if this were to happen however it would have to be in liner less G10 as switching to a wire clip would require all new molds for the FRN?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Big fan of the Caly Jr, have 4. Would welcome an update or even additional sprints, but honestly feel the Chaparral, especially the lw, is already an "heir to the throne" in many respects.
:spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:40 am
araneae wrote:
Things I would change:

This and torx construction would be my two biggest changes. I’m guessing if this were to happen however it would have to be in liner less G10 as switching to a wire clip would require all new molds for the FRN?
I definitely overlooked screw construction which I would prefer. I am definitely proposing a new mold as the changes I suggested couldn't happen without retooling.
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

Nate wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:53 am
Big fan of the Caly Jr, have 4. Would welcome an update or even additional sprints, but honestly feel the Chaparral, especially the lw, is already an "heir to the throne" in many respects.
While great, the Chap isn't in the Caly family tree IMO. No hump, so swedge, just a totally different feel for me.
-Nick

pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

After a stroll through the XL Dragonfly thread, I saw this knife for the first time, and I'm wondering why is this out of production?
Would agree with araneae for clip and jimping idea.
For the blade, it would be wonderful if the spear blade was completely symmetrical (take a straight line from pivot center to blade tip, and then mirror the upper part to lower part of the blade). This would have great aesthetic effect, would deepen the choil a bit, but the handle height would have to be a bit bigger.

Anyway, I'd buy this as is if it came in production again.

Or perhaps in M390 :D
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd take the last Calypso Jr, just updated to screw together construction. Maintaining the liner-less construction, but changing to a tip up wire clip, or four way hourglass clip with thread inserts, would make it even more desirable for me.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:48 pm
After a stroll through the XL Dragonfly thread, I saw this knife for the first time, and I'm wondering why is this out of production?
Would agree with araneae for clip and jimping idea.
For the blade, it would be wonderful if the spear blade was completely symmetrical (take a straight line from pivot center to blade tip, and then mirror the upper part to lower part of the blade). This would have great aesthetic effect, would deepen the choil a bit, but the handle height would have to be a bit bigger.

Anyway, I'd buy this as is if it came in production again.

Or perhaps in M390 :D
It sounds like you're describing an XL Dragonfly with a Caly Jr. handle right there. :D I could get behind that!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 am
I'm not sure about the 3.5 but the standard Caly really needs the blade to seat into the handle further. I haven't bought another one since my first because it doesn't take much sharpening to expose the tip.
Can you fix this issue by grinding down the nub on the choil? But then of course that kind of defeats the purpose of having a choil to begin with...
~andrew
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

toocool006 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am
Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 am
Can you fix this issue by grinding down the nub on the choil? But then of course that kind of defeats the purpose of having a choil to begin with...

You can but too much will allow the blade to contact the lock bar and back spacer when closed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Mr. Glesser, will Calypso Jr. ever see daylight again? Been looking to find some new ones on all webshops, but the VG-10 version is long gone. Not really into Superblue (stainless is a must for me).