Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see Spyderco produce a sprint run Temperance 2 in Hap-40?

Yes
65%
No
20%
Maybe/I Don't Care
15%

Total votes: 46

kennethsime

Re: Carbon Steel Temperance 2?

Post by kennethsime »

I'd kill for this. Love the leaf blade. Love the palm swell. Love Micarta. Tool steel? Be still my beating heart.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

52100 would be pretty interesting.

It wouldn't be my first choice personally, but I bet Cruwear would be a home run for sales.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 pm
I'd buy it in K390 for sure.

Not sure about HAP40, but I'd be interested in that one too.
I'd be on board for a Sprint in both of these steels! Haven't experienced K390 yet, so that would probably be my 1st choice but love hap40.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

I'd kill for a Tatanka sized folding version.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have now had a Temp2 for quite a while and it is brilliant. I use it as a camp knife and general purpose outdoor knife. Works well and I have zero complaints with the VG10.

That said, I would welcome one in a different variation unless it has frn scales. I like them on a folder but have strongly disliked them on my schempp rock.

I would prefer something tough which VG10 has proven to be. I have tried quite hard to destroy my schempp rock including using it as a throwing knife for a summer. It and my Temp2 have batonned quite a bit without issue.

Maybe 3V or Cruwear? Denim micarta? :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

I use my Temp 2 outside quite a bit. It works well. Eric has been talking about making a Temp 2 in Golden. Same scales, What steel?

sal
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:28 pm
I use my Temp 2 outside quite a bit. It works well. Eric has been talking about making a Temp 2 in Golden. Same scales, What steel?

sal
Something with lower amount of carbides - maybe 52100? CPM 3V? A2? Cru-Wear, or PD1 is also welcome.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:

sal
Golden? I would like that even better! K390. Please, K390 with green canvas micarta scales.

I'd also be happy with CPM 3V/4V, or Cruwear, I haven't tried that yet. Would still love the green canvas micarta scales. :-)

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

4v would be magnificent.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Archimedes wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 pm
Who voted no?

Me and five more ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:

sal
For U.S. based Carbon steel, I would advocate for Rex45, O1, or Cruwear.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:11 pm
Sorry to disappoint, but it's not likely at this time. In fact the Temperance 2's long term future is in question.

sal
Future in question?

What future?

Heck I thought Spyderco already discontinued the model.

I have not been able to find one for a reasonable price on the primary market for over 2 years now. Even when I do find one they want high 2 to $300.00 for it.

Sorry do not feel like getting stabbed for that much money on a knife that retailed for around $165.00

Sal you have a good model with the Temperence 2 I think the thing that slowed sales was using VG-10.

I skipped it when it was available because it was in VG-10, which was before I knew how good VG-10 really is and made the mistake of listening to people at the time putting VG-10 Down.

Today If I could find one of these for a reasonable price which I would consider between $175.00 and $200.00 I would buy it without batting an eye.

Now on the wish fulfillment side of things peeking into steel fantasy land..... How about Cast440C as a steel for this model, I think it would be a great steel for this model.

If it was in Cruwear well Katrie Bar th’ Door the retailers better order extra stock!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:14 pm
.... How about Cast440C as a steel for this model, I think it would be a great steel for this model.

If it was in Cruwear well Katrie Bar th’ Door the retailers better order extra stock!
What really has cast 440C apart from being really hipster steel?

But I agree with Cru-Wear, put that name on any knife and if will sell like hot cakes ( or pancakes?).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Cast is supposed to be more toothy, as far as steel goes I had no idea anyone would consider 440C a hipster steel whatever that is supposed to mean.

I have a custom Buck Folder in non cast 440C and that is a very nice steel it has allot in common with Cruwear with the way it sharpens and holds a truly sharp edge, ease of sharpening and superior corrosion resistance.

Spyderco made a cast 440C steel fixed blade don’t recall the name of it but due to thickness behind the edge I did not buy it, reports of its favorable qualities and the use of 440C with my Buck Folder has led to the desire to try some cast 440C and the temperance 2 is a model I like.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Does Whatever,

We believe that the reason for slower sales of the Temperance 2 was partially that is was a fixed blade, which we're not know for and partially for the high cost for a fixed blade. The handles were made in the US and shipped to Japan which again added to cost. Eric felt that we could probably do better making the knife in the Golden plant. I think the Temperance 2 would do better made in the US, but it would still be a higher cost than most of the Fixed blades available. I think my choices for a steel made in the US would be: CPM-Cruwear or CPM-Spy27. The argument being an "all around" good working steel for most outdoor activities.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi Does Whatever,

We believe that the reason for slower sales of the Temperance 2 was partially that is was a fixed blade, which we're not know for and partially for the high cost for a fixed blade. The handles were made in the US and shipped to Japan which again added to cost. Eric felt that we could probably do better making the knife in the Golden plant. I think the Temperance 2 would do better made in the US, but it would still be a higher cost than most of the Fixed blades available. I think my choices for a steel made in the US would be: CPM-Cruwear or CPM-Spy27. The argument being an "all around" good working steel for most outdoor activities.

sal
Cruwear it is! :D

Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Hi Does Whatever,

sal
Thanks Sal Wow I agree and am very pleased by your choices in steel can’t wait to get some SPY27.

For the right steel price follows. I just spent $217.00 for the privilege of experiencing Maxamet in a PM 2 which I already own 5 different versions of and loved it so much I purchased a Native in the same steel.

Temperance2 in either of those steels and a price tag of let’s say $250.00 and you can count me in.

Glad to see Spyderco is bringing more things to production in the U.S. SPY27 being a Suped up VG-10 will help us all in numerous ways.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Any time I spend more than $100 on a fixed blade I always end up selling it. I always become afraid and end up babying it. I like a cheaper, well made fixed blade (my fave is the Terava Jaakaripuukko) that I can wail on and not have to stress too much about breaking it.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I voted "yes."

As for a carbon steel fixed blade, I prefer toughness and ease-of-sharpening over edge retention. I'm partial to simple steels like O1, A2, and 52100.
glutofknives

Post by glutofknives »

I think this is a stellar idea, especially if that beautiful leather sheath makes a return. Cruwear or rex45 would be my first choices.