New to this with old questions and concerns

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Re: New to this with old questions and concerns

Post by soc_monki »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:35 am
We posted just about the same at just about the same time... ;)

But it really is just how it always goes: I for example started out with the plan to find just ONE quality folder to be my only EDC... and though Spyderco indeed MAKES a lot of knives that could fullfill that role, there is just no way to to stick to only one... :o
We did, didn't we? Lol! When I started in this crazy hobby, I didn't think I would get as deep as I am now. I just wanted a better knife than the Milwaukee fastback I was using. Got a few Kershaws and enjoyed them, then the tenacious, which I thought was the bees knees. Then I got into Golden Spydies and it was over for me.

Still enjoy my Chinese Spydies and Kershaws, and even the civivis I've acquired, but I tend to go for more American knives now, or Taichung Spydies. I still need to get an endura or endela so I can sample a Seki spydie. But there are so many good knives from so many makers that it's hard to choose at times! I just got a custom benchmade, and now have another Buck 110 coming (a slim select)...

I love this hobby, but my bank account doesn't! :eek:
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

soc_monki wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:32 am
Oh yes, spyders tend to multiply quickly. Before you know it you'll have 10...no idea what happened, they'll just appear. That's how it was for me. Tenacious first, then a Resilience. Decided to try a Manix 2, and a Manix 2 lightweight, Para 3, Sage 5, Amalgam, Persistence, Para 3 lightweight...
Hahahaha that's funny!!!!!
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

Wartstein wrote:

Man, it has been 100% clear that things would go this way... :D !!!

/ I KNOW you´ll want to discuss this eventually anyway :D so let me just start right now:

I hope you´ll forgive for answering a question you did no ask... :o ;)

/ And may I ask: How old are your kids? More in the "toy" age, or can they already be trusted with knives?
You just jump ahead of my questions lol.Actually i was thinking about starting new topic.
"Something to use at work"means cheaper and something i would not cry if it's going to get destroyed.Still prefer USA made.
Kids are 11 boy and daughter 9 her birthday was yesterday and after all present she asked why she didn't get knife.Hahaha.I will get her ladybug in purple.She is very responsible little lady.My son already have knife actually two but nothing what he could "flick".He tried pm2 but it is way too big.I was thinking dragonfly for him but I'm not sure yet.
Ty for all info definitely I appreciate that.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

79bolo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Man, it has been 100% clear that things would go this way... :D !!!

/ I KNOW you´ll want to discuss this eventually anyway :D so let me just start right now:

I hope you´ll forgive for answering a question you did no ask... :o ;)

/ And may I ask: How old are your kids? More in the "toy" age, or can they already be trusted with knives?
You just jump ahead of my questions lol.Actually i was thinking about starting new topic.
"Something to use at work"means cheaper and something i would not cry if it's going to get destroyed.Still prefer USA made.
Kids are 11 boy and daughter 9 her birthday was yesterday and after all present she asked why she didn't get knife.Hahaha.I will get her ladybug in purple.She is very responsible little lady.My son already have knife actually two but nothing what he could "flick".He tried pm2 but it is way too big.I was thinking dragonfly for him but I'm not sure yet.
Ty for all info definitely I appreciate that.

I think you definitely should start a new topic, or two that is ("knife to use at work" and "knife for kids")!

Though concerning "knife to use at work" let me say right now:

If you want an US made knife for that, your PM2 is a great choice already and if I were you I´d just use it at work, that is what it was made for ;)
And unless you have to work very quick and frequently hit metal or the like with the knife, I really would not be worried that you could "destroy" a PM2 (in the scenario I described you perhaps could damage the very fine and usefull, but in return not ultra-strong tip of the PM2, but that´s about it and not an issue in most regular work scenarios).

A cheaper and still US made choice would be the Manix 2 LW. it also should have an a bit stronger tip while having actually thinner blade stock (which I prefer) and is a knife you really should experience anyway. Amazing ergos, and I love the CBBL (caged ball bearing lock). Prefer it over the comp. lock actually, though some people find the CBBL harder to operate one handed than the comp. lock (it certainly does require a bit more finger strength and you have to palm the butt of the handle in order to operate a CBBL one handed. In return it has a strong bias to closing which I like).

/ You obviously have great kids and they have a great dad giving knives to them! :)
A folder featuring a finger choil or Ricasso would be a good idea probably for safety reasons, but both the ladybug and the DFly offer that anyway... (and, as much as I love Spyderco, I still have to say: Every kid has to have some version of a cool swiss army knife I think... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree with Wartstein, the Manix 2 or Manix Lightweight would be great work knives. Slightly cheaper than the pm2 (the lightweight even more so), but still available in several steel options, and still high quality folders thst are very tough and reliable. Many folks on here use them as work knives.

As for kids knives, you can't go wrong with the ladybugs and dragonflies. If your son wants something he can flick open like the pm2, there are multiple smaller "flickable" knives that are less expensive (Cat, Ambitious, Insistent, Chicago, Alcyone). My step-daughter's first knife was a purple Opinel, but only because she tends to lose things, and I wanted to see if she managed to keep it before spending more money!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

JuPaul wrote: I agree with Wartstein, the Manix 2 or Manix Lightweight would be great work knives. Slightly cheaper than the pm2 (the lightweight even more so), but still available in several steel options, and still high quality folders thst are very tough and reliable. Many folks on here use them as work knives.

As for kids knives, you can't go wrong with the ladybugs and dragonflies. If your son wants something he can flick open like the pm2, there are multiple smaller "flickable" knives that are less expensive (Cat, Ambitious, Insistent, Chicago, Alcyone). My step-daughter's first knife was a purple Opinel, but only because she tends to lose things, and I wanted to see if she managed to keep it before spending more money!
Ty for info on "flickable"options for my boy.and that Manix 2 is something what I staring consider.
Wartstein wrote: (and, as much as I love Spyderco, I still have to say: Every kid has to have some version of a cool swiss army knife I think... ;) )
My boy already have one (Christmas present).
I will look into Manix 2 or pm3.
79bolo

Post by 79bolo »

Thank all of you for informational conversation and warm welcome!
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

While your knife may have been advertised as "brand new", the date code on the box suggests that it is a little bit old. "KM" means that it was made in the 11th month of 2013.