Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rebLsoul78

Sharpening

Post by rebLsoul78 »

I just got a native 5. Needless to say otb, it's a surgical scalpel. That said, what's best for resharpening the native 5?
sal

Re: Sharpening

Post by sal »

Hi RebLsoul,

Welcome to our forum.

We always recommend the TriAngle Sharpmaker.

sal
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Welcome rebelsoul78. If you are new to sharpening, well even if you are not, the sharpmaker is great. If you have the s30v blade, it will work very well. Watch the dvd or some you tube videos to get acquainted with how it works. If you have the s110v or maxamet native, the sharpmaker will work, it will just take longer to sharpen without purchasing diamond rods.
Ric

Post by Ric »

Not let it get too unsharp.
Then it's easy with the Sharpmaker.
rebLsoul78

Post by rebLsoul78 »

How good does the edge hold on s30v?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I just can join the choir: Get a Sharpmaker! I am really not good at sharpening (and was even worse when I got my sharpmaker), but that device makes it easy for me!

Imho a sharpmaker should be the "second Spyderco" to get for anyone who does not own a sufficient sharpening system already!

There are a ton of thread with tips and vids concerning the SM out there already, but I like to second Ric: Don´t let your knife get too dull in the first place.
Another tip: Don´t forget to clean the rods from time to time, especially the corners clog up rather quick.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:26 am
I just can join the choir: Get a Sharpmaker! I am really not good at sharpening (and was even worse when I got my sharpmaker), but that device makes it easy for me!

Imho a sharpmaker should be the "second Spyderco" to get for anyone who does not own a sufficient sharpening system already!

There are a ton of thread with tips and vids concerning the SM out there already, but I like to second Ric: Don´t let your knife get too dull in the first place.
Another tip: Don´t forget to clean the rods from time to time, especially the corners clog up rather quick.
+1 on all of this - especially making the sharpmaker the 2nd spyderco purchase
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sharpmaker! And the diamond or cbn rods as well for later on when you need to thin down the edge!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Welcome to the Forum rebLsoul78! :)

Which blade steel does your Native have?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Hello and welcome! Knew nothing about sharpening when I started getting into knives and I was getting frustrated trying to use whetstones to no avail. Wanted something that would be more consistent than my clumsy attempts at getting knives sharp.

Once I read reviews on the Sharpmaker, I purchased it immediately! The SM led me here to this forum and the great folks that's here and between the two I've kept every knife I own sharp as razors.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

rebLsoul78 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 pm
How good does the edge hold on s30v?
Any knife that you can sharpen, you can dull with use. The trick that Spyderco must perform is to offer you a steel that is hard enough to hold an edge, yet soft enough that a sharpening stone can restore that razor edge in a reasonable amount of time. Actually S30V holds an edge reasonably well for stainless steel. In my experience, my PM2 in S30V stays real sharp if I touch it up on the Sharpmaker twice weekly, and strop it daily. A dull knife is no fun. Your Native 5 is arguably the best factory made lock back pocket knife made today. Enjoy it.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Their are many ways but if all you want to do is preserve your knife and not get too deep into sharpening creating mirrored bevels then you cant go wrong with the TriAngle Sharpmaker.

Might want to add either the Diamond or CBN rods for later though when you need to bring the thinness down behind the edge as time and usage go by and continued re-honing of the primary edge require some thinning. The Diamond and CBN rods will also be needed if you have to repair chips or other minor damage.

There is absolutely no better tool when it comes to re-honing and repair and resharpening of a serrated edge.

Thre is no one tool that does as much as the TriAngle Sharpmaker I have spent thousands on stones and systems and it is the one thing that is always my immediate go to for touch ups and sheer convenience.

It comes with both the Medium and fine rods. The medium are actually fine and the fine is extra fine by comparison with other systems. I would also get the Ultra-Fine rods which I find work great with VG-10 and H1 Serrated blades.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

an option is to learn how to use a stone. With a little effort and practice you can probably exceed what you think possible. I grew up carrying a pocket knife and small whetstone. In those days we didn’t have the great steels of today and had to resharpen regularly. Of course dodging the dinosaurs was of much greater concern than sharpening a **** pocket knife.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

PineyBoy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:04 pm
an option is to learn how to use a stone. With a little effort and practice you can probably exceed what you think possible. I grew up carrying a pocket knife and small whetstone. In those days we didn’t have the great steels of today and had to resharpen regularly. Of course dodging the dinosaurs was of much greater concern than sharpening a **** pocket knife.
🤣
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb