Urban LW pivot screw

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Urban LW pivot screw

Post by Doc Dan »

The pivot screw is too tight on my Coyote Urban LW....lets be clear....way too tight...and seems to be getting worse. I’ve ne er heard of it getting worse.

So, I tried to loosen the pivot, but all that it does is spin. No amount of rubber pad on the opposite side, heavy pressure, or other such tricks have worked.

Any solutions?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jdw

Re: Urban LW pivot screw

Post by jdw »

Carry your Cat? :)
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

I never had the problem myself I've heard other people had luck with,the blade open,putting firm side pressure on blade to bind pivot and trying to unscrew it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've never faced that specific issue, but my last resort for stubborn screws is to heat the torx side with the tip of a soldering iron until the loctite softens up.
:spyder:
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

The Maniago factory strikes again... From experience, I can tell you that the D-shaped pivot hole turned into an O-shaped hole by now, I've had that experience twice now with Italian FRN models, on a Squeak and an Urban. Unfortunately, for me personally, after trying every single little trick and hack in the book, the only way I've managed to unscrew the pivot on my FRN Squeak was to super-glue the flat side of the pivot to stop it from rotating. I've managed to get it open that way, but I definitely don't recommend this method, unless you are looking to buy some custom scales and don't care what happens to the FRN ones, because you can mess them up beyond repair.

The best FRN definitely comes from Golden, my Native 5 LW is proof of that. I can't imagine what it would take to cause any damage to it.

I think the Urban might be my most carried model (since one-handed locking knives are a big no-no in Germany), but after my experiences, I will only buy another one if it comes in G10, that's for sure. That UKPK from Heinnie Haynes is the best model you can buy if you want some very high-quality Spyderco slip-joint action, no doubt about it. I'm hoping that the Lil' Native slippie can somehow match it because if it does, I think my Urban's days might be counted.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah I had the problem on a set of Koa wood aftermarket Dragonfly scales that didn’t have the D shaped hole in the pivot area.

I tried a lot of approaches, but ended up having to superglue the head of the female screw to the scales as well.

Not really ideal, but it works.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Can you grind a groove in the opposite side for a flat screwdriver?
- best wishes, Jazz.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Did you "break" the threadlocker? I just checked mine and it only had a tiny drop, but as we know Maniago's quality control on this batch left a bit to be desired so if you have a soldering iron I'd give some heat a try and see if that works.
-Turbo
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Only thing I can suggest is, scratching up the dome side of the pivot pin with fine wet and dry sandpaper or similar and clean it up with acetone or so you get the best keyed surface and super glue it to a bit of hardwood and try again.

Either ways, good luck with it, Doc. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I sent my K390 back to Golden for the same thing, they told me they didn't have any grey scales. I did not ask if they would install blackones but I would be happy if they would. They didn't offer and I didn't think of it till getting it back.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mine's the same. Over tightened pivot, trying to loosen it I'm pretty sure the hole rounded out and it just spins.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not worry about it but it is getting worse. Even with lubricant it is getting stiffer. How can that be? I’m a big guy but sometimes I just use two hands to open the knife. I’ll try the soldering iron, but I think the scale is stripped.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Perhaps the edges of the frn have burred around the distorted pivot hole. I guess that excess material created has to go somewhere if it is no longer forming the D.
Does the pivot screw rotate with the blade?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I tried to soften the edges of the "locking" contact surfaces on the blade and spring of a Spy-DK, and even though I polished them, as I used it a bit, they broke down. There were tiny metal particles coming off, getting into the pivot, causing the action to be very hard to open. The way the spring holds the blade open, with that locking ledge, I'm surprised all my non lockers don't do that. I have another Spy-DK that feels like it's grinding away every time I open it. It works fine. Just feels like it won't be.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps there is metal or frn getting into the blade pivot and that is why it is getting harder to open. I did not think of it that way.

When I got the knife it was fine. The more I have used it the harder it has gotten to open and I cannot get the screw out to look inside.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I know one thing for sure. As much as I love the size and feel of the Urban, I’m not buying another one until they sort all this out.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Hope a CQI is in order
Rounding off the D shaped holes for the Chicago screw is very annoying -

Is this an Italian mfg specific issue?
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:56 pm
I would not worry about it but it is getting worse. Even with lubricant it is getting stiffer. How can that be?
My UKPK did that, roughness inside the pivot hole in the blade was tearing up the pivot. I sent it to Golden and it came back fixed and has stayed fixed. I'm not sure what they did, I guess replaced the interscrew and smoothed the bore a little.
---------
Tony S
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This is why I love the Ti Squeak.

We hear less about the frn UKPK’s doing this. Does Maniago use a lesser frn, I wonder?
araneae

Post by araneae »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:45 am
This is why I love the Ti Squeak.

We hear less about the frn UKPK’s doing this. Does Maniago use a lesser frn, I wonder?
I think its more a case of over tightening and too much threadlocker.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal