Who would be interested in a Tropen sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Who would be interested in a Tropen sprint?

Post by archangel »

The blade shape is so cool, totally down my alley. Great ergos too. Three ways of deployment. What's not to like (despite the slight right of cutting your finger or other stuff with the small amount of cutting edge exposed at the lock when the blade is closed - but other knives have similar problems)?

Well, such an exquisite design could use a more spectacular blade steel. Just my thinking.

I want one. I would want it even more with a sprinted steel. :rolleyes:

N u?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Mushroom

Re: Who would be interested in a Tropen sprint?

Post by Mushroom »

Unless you're intentionally trying to make it cut your finger, the little bit of exposed edge in the compression lock cutout is not actually a risk with the Tropen. The flipper tab hits your finger when closing, so you're forced to move your finger out of the way.

It could be considered a little too wild for some peoples taste, but I think it's a really cool design. I liked it more after actually handling one, the rounded scales feel really great in hand. I'd be interested to know how well it's selling though.

In my opinion, S30V is plenty good for the design but if it's selling well enough for Spyderco then maybe a sprint could be worth the investment. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
archangel

Post by archangel »

I really don't worry at all about the exposed edge.

It would blend in just fine with my Szabo, Tighe Stick, Battlestation, K2. And I have a soft spot for flippers too...
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Even if they left the S30V and did contoured CF scales like the Kapara I would be all over it. Any steel upgrade would be a bonus.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
rivy

Post by rivy »

I'd be interested in a sprint of a mini version
archangel

Post by archangel »

rivy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:57 pm
I'd be interested in a sprint of a mini version

Nooooooo... why minimize it? It wouldn't achieve the same emotions if it were smaller. Plus a mini version would not be a sprint but an individual new model (new toolings needed etc).

Keep the size. Change scales to CF or titanium (!) or keep them as they are, just do it in another steel, to make it more exclusive.
Michael
chrisjohn

Post by chrisjohn »

My favorite spyderco in awhile. Wonder why it didn't get more love.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Yeah me too. Sad. Guess I'll grab this beauty as it is, will be just another splendid S30V spydie...
Michael