Pacific Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Pacific Salt 2

Post by Freediver »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 am
Got my PS2, and it's lighter than advertised. My scale says 80g! That's what I call C.Q.I. Way lighter than an Endela. Has the Sal & Eric mark on the blade.

Weight in grams:

108 PM2
092 Endura 4 VG-10
087 Endela
086 Pacific Salt straight spine
080 Pacific Salt 2
Is the clip still titanium?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 am
Got my PS2, and it's lighter than advertised. My scale says 80g! That's what I call C.Q.I. Way lighter than an Endela. Has the Sal & Eric mark on the blade.

Weight in grams:

108 PM2
092 Endura 4 VG-10
087 Endela
086 Pacific Salt straight spine
080 Pacific Salt 2

And does the handle have the exact same shape as the E4 handle except being a bit thicker?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:55 am
And does the handle have the exact same shape as the E4 handle except being a bit thicker?

Looks like it's the same to me. Hard to tell if it's the same on the inside only linerless. The clip is black, but a flat black that's a nice touch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks! But may I ask: Is the handle actually thicker (so has a bit wider "spine") compared to the E4 handle? I seem to remember Eric stating something like this in some vid (that the linerless Pac Salt 2 handle, while otherwise being similar to the (linered) E4s, had to be a bit thicker thanto get enough rigidity)-

I think an a bit thicker and by that more handfilling E4 handle would be a great thing (i am one of those who really loves the ergos of the linered E4 handle already)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don’t particularly like the black screws with the satin blade that I saw in a vid.
- best wishes, Jazz.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:31 am
...Is the handle actually thicker (so has a bit wider "spine") compared to the E4 handle?

It is - 1st - Pacific Salt, 2nd Pacific Salt 2. Maybe now that I know I'd notice it, but they felt the same to me before I measured / knew there was a difference. I guess that may have been the point / a good thing for sure. The black screws are kinda cool imho.

z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Freediver wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 am
Is the clip still titanium?

Don't know, but the black blade Pacific Salt 2 KnifeCenter description says: ...the black-bladed Pacific Salt 2 takes this enhanced design and subdues it with a non-reflective titanium carbonitride (TiCN) blade coating and matching black coatings on its four-position clip and other handle hardware.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

:D Owners of the Pac 2, please get a magnet and see if it sticks to the clip or not :D
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you for your interest in the Pacific Salt 2. To clarify, its handle is thicker than the first-generation Pacific Salt--0.43 inches versus 0.41. That makes it exactly the same thickness as the Endura 4. Externally, the handles of the Endura 4 and Pacific Salt 2 are identical. The difference is the absence of stainless steel liners in the Pacific Salt 2. That eliminates internal cavities and metal components that could be vulnerable to rust.

The clips on the Pacific Salt 2 series are currently still titanium.

With regard to weight, the spreadsheet I use for tech specs is based primarily on English-standard input--i.e. inches and ounces. It's also typically geared toward two decimal places for dimensions and one for weight. Those entries are then converted by formulas to achieve metric equivalents. Since some "rounding" of the initial input occurs before the conversion, there are sometimes minor variations in metric weights, but they are still accurate within a gram or so.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the handle on the new PAC Salt 2. It looks more finished. The previous model looked to me like someone suddenly remembered they were designing a knife and cut the end off.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 am
Hey, All:

Thank you for your interest in the Pacific Salt 2. To clarify, its handle is thicker than the first-generation Pacific Salt--0.43 inches versus 0.41. That makes it exactly the same thickness as the Endura 4. Externally, the handles of the Endura 4 and Pacific Salt 2 are identical. The difference is the absence of stainless steel liners in the Pacific Salt 2. That eliminates internal cavities and metal components that could be vulnerable to rust.

The clips on the Pacific Salt 2 series are currently still titanium.

With regard to weight, the spreadsheet I use for tech specs is based primarily on English-standard input--i.e. inches and ounces. It's also typically geared toward two decimal places for dimensions and one for weight. Those entries are then converted by formulas to achieve metric equivalents. Since some "rounding" of the initial input occurs before the conversion, there are sometimes minor variations in metric weights, but they are still accurate within a gram or so.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank your for the information, Mike. The Pacific Salt is my favorite Spyderco to date so I am going to order a 2 now. It’s nice to see CQI at work with Spyderco.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 am
Hey, All:

Thanks a lot for the information!

But I am a bit confused: In this shot show vid (starting at about 17:00) https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq3St0 Eric clearly states that the Pac Salt 2 handle is, while otherwise similarly shaped, indeed THICKER than the Endura 4 handle.. (and not the Pac Salt 1 handle)... ?!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:20 am
Wartstein wrote:
...Is the handle actually thicker (so has a bit wider "spine") compared to the E4 handle?

It is - 1st - Pacific Salt, 2nd Pacific Salt 2. Maybe now that I know I'd notice it, but they felt the same to me before I measured / knew there was a difference. I guess that may have been the point / a good thing for sure. The black screws are kinda cool imho.

[
Thanks a lot! But I rather meant if the Pac Salt 2 handle is thicker than the Endura 4 handle... (while otherwise similarly shaped)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote:
z4vdBt wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

[
Thanks a lot! But I rather meant if the Pac Salt 2 handle is thicker than the Endura 4 handle... (while otherwise similarly shaped)
The post above by Michael Janich says its the same, which based off of the salt 2 and delica 4 I would believe. The post from sal in another thread of him stating the handle is wider I think could be ambiguous. While it seems as though it was stated the handle was wider than an endura 4, I think he might have meant to say its wider than the pacific salt 1.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
z4vdBt wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

[
The post above by Michael Janich says its the same, which based off of the salt 2 and delica 4 I would believe. The post from sal in another thread of him stating the handle is wider I think could be ambiguous. While it seems as though it was stated the handle was wider than an endura 4, I think he might have meant to say its wider than the pacific salt 1.

Thanks! But in this vid (starting at about 17:00) Eric undoubtedly is talking about the Pac Salt 2 handle being wider / thicker than the E4 handle https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq3St0

(so not TALLER, but WIDER in the "spine" of the handle)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Wartstein wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
z4vdBt wrote:

[

Thanks! But in this vid (starting at about 17:00) Eric undoubtedly is talking about the Pac Salt 2 handle being wider / thicker than the E4 handle https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq3St0

Maybe that is what I was thinking of, in that video. If I had to guess I believe he may have mixed things up. That he was indicating it was "thicker" than the pacific salt 1, but instead of saying that, instead said it was thicker than endura 4.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

So much blade for 2.8oz! Love it! The black blade with black hardware is going to be awesome.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Maybe that is what I was thinking of, in that video. If I had to guess I believe he may have mixed things up. That he was indicating it was "thicker" than the pacific salt 1, but instead of saying that, instead said it was thicker than endura 4.

Still don´t think so, but am sure that Eric intentionally compared the Pac Salt 2 to the Endura 4: In the vid https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq3St0 (starting at about 17:10) he clearly says that the Pac Salt 2 has no liners while the Endura 4 has; that the Pac Salt 2 has a bigger opening hole than the Endura and is lighter (and has a thicker handle) Especially the first two points would not be true if he compared Pac Salt 2 to Pac Salt 1; So I don´t think he mixed things up.

And that would mean that Eric, differently to Michael Janich, states that the Pac Salt 2 handle is similar to the E4 handle, just a bit thicker (and linerless of course). I personally hope Eric is right, for I think a thicker E 4 handle must be great.
spambait11

Post by spambait11 »

I personally hope Eric is right, for I think a thicker E 4 handle must be great.
Despite what Eric says, the Pac2 handle is NOT thicker than the E4 handle, so you’ll be disappointed.

I, on the other hand, am happy about this.
Monty

Post by Monty »

I'm curious if I'll be able to swap a Pac Salt 2 blade into a G10 Endura handle. Will try it anyway.