Maxamet PM2 at Blade H.Q. I bought one how about you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: Maximet PM2 at Blade H.Q. I bought one how about you?

Post by Tdog »

I was hoping the Siren would be my first Spyderco of the new year. Ordered this one at DLT. Spydie hankie and knife should arrive tomorrow. :spyder:
Last edited by Tdog on Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'd like a Maxamet Military with a back lock.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

3.47 inch blade on the PM2 knife is very nice!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 pm
Well I will withold judgement on Maximet in a Military until after I have my first of it in this PM2 that's coming. As for the back-lock with you 100 percent would like the power lock or the stop lock even more.

Not really looking forward to a compression lock on the MIlitary 2. Will not buy one in S30V either.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love Maxamet and carry it often, but I prefer both the Native and Manix 2 to the PM2, so I'll pass on this one.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:55 pm
Naperville wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 pm
Well I will withold judgement on Maximet in a Military until after I have my first of it in this PM2 that's coming. As for the back-lock with you 100 percent would like the power lock or the stop lock even more.

Not really looking forward to a compression lock on the MIlitary 2. Will not buy one in S30V either.
Maxamet is like a razor blade out of the box!
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

I've had mine for a little over two years now. Paid $180. I would not buy one at today's price.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Not much anyone can do about pricing other than vote in the opposite direction with ones wallet. Many things were different 2 years ago glad you got one then.

Today we have to buy or not at today’s prices and there are no better deals on the secondary market I can assure you of that.

I don’t mind paying extra for a premium specialty steel that I know is difficult to work with for Spyderco every step along the way the price has to be sufficient to warrant the manufacturing difficulties.

Now Charge $217.00 for S30V and I will laugh at anyone doing so all day long.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

And its out of stock. Looks like optics planet has some though.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Blade H.Q. I want to thank you for ordering larger quantities of Spyderco Products for us to buy.

Unlike DLT and others which sold out in a short period of time less than a day, you made the commitment to us buyers and ordered enough that it took a few days to sell out.

Thank you very much!

I like that!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Blade hq is a lot larger company than dlt - they can afford to order more and/or are allotted more
Doeswhateveraspidercan

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:03 am
Blade hq is a lot larger company than dlt - they can afford to order more and/or are allotted more
And satisfy more customers.

As a buyer this works for me.

Whomever has enough stock so I may make an easy stress free purchase gets my money.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

The Maximet PM2 came in today.

Love the Gray scales!

The blade is sharp!

Absolutly love the stone washed finish very attractive blade.

Cut up the box it came in and noticed adhesives were not sticking to the blade as bad as on satan finishes. Interesting.

Thanks Sal this one is a keeper! Just oiled it with food grade mineral oil.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Mine came the other day.
Had a lot of oil on the blade. No big deal.
That grey peel ply g10 was the grippiest out of the box g10 I have felt. Im sure its the same peel ply pattern but it was noticeable. It will probably wear in.
Action was pretty good. Not as good as my other pm2 but Im thinking that is because there is excessive oil around the pivot. Once it breaks in I know it will be great.

My only nit pick. The edge grind on the clip side is perfect, but the edge grind on the other side was uneven up near the tip. Considering I will eventually have to sharpen it this doesnt really matter. But it was the first time I had seen an uneven edge grind from spyderco. Considering how hard maxamet is to work with, I can understand why the edge grind might have some variation.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Nope.
Blade HQ charges me tax and homie dont play that, plus there are more interesting steels out there.
K390 or M390 from BBS are probably the only 2 PM2s I'd consider.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I was expecting some uneven grinds but got lucky everything is nice and even, it came in sharp but I can get it sharper.

Looking forward to discovering how long the factory edge will hold up without a touch up.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Today has been my first full day of typical EDC usage and I have to say I am impressed by Maximet. I own and have owned enough different and unique steels in the same models by Spyderco that I can confidently say each steel is different from the last.

You can tell by the way the steel passes through material how it vibrates as it cuts the tactile feedback may not be something some have and I get that and accept it as I have read many posts by people saying they can't tell the differences between steels and go on about how S30V feels no different to them than any other steel. Ok Accepted and good for you probably save allot of money that way. :)

This steel feels much different from S30v, M390, Hap40, VG10, S35VN, Elmax, K390 etc...

Immediately I can feel the hardness of the blade as it contacts material, and somehow it manages to be toothy but smooth at the same time. What an odd combination the toothy feel does not over ride the smoothness of the unyielding steel.

Cruwear feels softer and has a different more velvety toothy feel as it passes through material.

It is also different than VG-10 which is butter smooth making it's cuts. On super hard VG-10 Like I have in my Yaxel Chef's knife or in my Girlfriends Masimoto Hyper Molybdenum Chefs knife which I think SPY27 is going to be allot like... a supped up VG-10 I can feel a blade that is so hard I am afraid of rocking it to the side as it bights into the cutting board.

I get a similar feeling with this Maximet but it does not feel as brittle likely due to being thicker behind the edge.

All in all I am very impressed by the way this is performing thus far and the more I look at the stonewashed finish the more I wonder why this is not offered on more spyderco's? as a finish it is very attractive and seems to cut down on friction as well.

As for some wanting REX45 I just shake my head all it is, is unclad HAP40 and that is no where near as sharp or capable of holding and edge as this Maximet is I would have dulled HAP40 for sure today, where as this is still just as sharp as when I opened the box yesterday.

I would like some more models in Maximet but do not care for the Manix unless it is in the XL size. The Delica and Straight Spine Stretch come to mind immediately especially a wharncliffee version as well as yes a Military & or Military2.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:25 pm
As for some wanting REX45 I just shake my head all it is, is unclad HAP40 and that is no where near as sharp or capable of holding and edge as this Maximet is I would have dulled HAP40 for sure today, where as this is still just as sharp as when I opened the box yesterday.
Reportedly Spyderco's Rex45 is not only unclad but also harder HAP40. Rockwell testing has confirmed the higher hardness. Achievable sharpness is completely unrelated to steel.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Oh, now that makes a difference. Thanks.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:52 pm
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:25 pm
Reportedly Spyderco's Rex45 is not only unclad but also harder HAP40. Rockwell testing has confirmed the higher hardness. Achievable sharpness is completely unrelated to steel.
I don’t agree with achievable sharpness being unrelated, factory edge to factory edge same model different steel has proven to me over and over some steels are capable of a greater degree of sharpness. I have owned enough new Spyderco’s to tell the the difference.

Sure some will have better sharpening equipment and skills than others but I go by the only close to equalizing factor there is... the factory edge.