KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jimmyjohnjohn

Re: KC Exclusive Shaman Rosewood REX 45

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

CPirtle wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:50 pm
Wow, that's amazing! Funny thing is I think about that knife a lot when I am out chopping in my woods. Thanks for posting :)

I still have my 2000 SF workshop that is split between knife making/metal working and wood working with a small section for reloading, but these days I spend 99% of my time in the house in my leather studio. My knife making hobby led to leather sheath making and when our daughter was born in 2012 I hung it all up to focus on family & career. In 2015 I got back into just doing leather work as a hobby. After over 25 years in Corporate IT, I walked away from it and on 1-1-2019 went full time in sheath making. If my order backlog wasn't so long I'd still be making knives as a hobby, but now I do my hobby and work at the same time :) Knife making is definitely still a part of my future plans.

Thanks again!
That's great to hear that things are going well, Chad! I'm looking forward to see what more awesome things you are making both now and in the future. :)
JMM

Post by JMM »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:54 am
Sweet how-to Chad!!! :cool: :spyder: :D Thanks for posting it up here!

As you already know, since I worked most of the weekend I didn't get around to modding mine. Maybe the next weekend or two after I get back home. :)

As mine is a user (oh, the horror! :eek: ;)), I'm actually using it. Needed an actual sharp knife to cut my steak on Saturday evening (why can't steak places have decent knives?), and it's developed a patina over part of the blade as a result. You can see it on the right, here:

60230413945__69A62FB6-63B4-41BB-ACD2-2153A662978Bsm..JPG

As it looks right now:

rexpat.jpg

I'll eventually mustard patina the whole thing anyway, likely when I have it apart to dye my scales. :)
I'll pass on the knife as I have one already, but your steak looks amazing!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I may have to get some of that Fiebings Black Leather dye and see if I can get results like Chad did.

Not that I am in any way unhappy with this knife. Quite the opposite -- it has been in my pocket from the day I got it and it gets used for everything that comes along. The Shaman is the bomb and this knife is a great version of it.

I didn't expect to have this knife, but it just kind of hunted me down and sought me out rather than vice versa.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:15 pm
I just had to . . . .

A different approach:

Aftermarket black micarta scales from RC Bladeworks. They're close but not quite as perfect as the Spyderco micarta scales. In particular the contouring on the edges of the scales is flat and not rounded like the Cruwear micarta scales. The material is very nice though, and they fit near perfectly.

The rosewood/Rex 45 Shaman scales feature counterbored pivot screw holes and button head pivot screws, unlike other Shaman variants and these aftermarket scales, which have countersunk holes for flat head screws. The button head screws don't recess properly into the scales and sit proud of them. I'm going to look for some flat head screws to match the countersink of these micarta scales.

I plan to keep the Rosewood scales, they are nice and I like them. In fact these aftermarket scales might find their way onto a different Shaman after all.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

ekastanis wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
I just had to . . . .

A different approach:

Aftermarket black micarta scales from RC Bladeworks. They're close but not quite as perfect as the Spyderco micarta scales. In particular the contouring on the edges of the scales is flat and not rounded like the Cruwear micarta scales. The material is very nice though, and they fit near perfectly.

The rosewood/Rex 45 Shaman scales feature counterbored pivot screw holes and button head pivot screws, unlike other Shaman variants and these aftermarket scales, which have countersunk holes for flat head screws. The button head screws don't recess properly into the scales and sit proud of them. I'm going to look for some flat head screws to match the countersink of these micarta scales.

I plan to keep the Rosewood scales, they are nice and I like them. In fact these aftermarket scales might find their way onto a different Shaman after all.

Thank you for this picture, ekastanis. Those do look very nice! :)

It's funny that you mention RC now, too. I just happened to have sent him a message Sunday afternoon, about another new set. I asked him about his 'skinny' version too, and just exactly what that means, in this case. I haven't heard back from him on that, yet.
With these scales being milled out on the inside, and the liners in that area. I find it hard to believe, that much 'skinny' can be gained.

Thanks also, for mentioning those pivot screw differences. I forgot to mention that earlier, when I commented about my scales swap. It was something I noticed, and was a little surprised when I saw it. Mainly, because I had not noticed that earlier, in their pictures.
JMM

Post by JMM »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 pm
ekastanis wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 pm
SteveMidwest wrote:
I just had to . . . .

A different approach:

Thank you for this picture, ekastanis. Those do look very nice! :)

It's funny that you mention RC now, too. I just happened to have sent him a message Sunday afternoon, about another new set. I asked him about his 'skinny' version too, and just exactly what that means, in this case. I haven't heard back from him on that, yet.
With these scales being milled out on the inside, and the liners in that area. I find it hard to believe, that much 'skinny' can be gained.

Thanks also, for mentioning those pivot screw differences. I forgot to mention that earlier, when I commented about my scales swap. It was something I noticed, and was a little surprised when I saw it. Mainly, because I had not noticed that earlier, in their pictures.

I have a set of his "Skinny Cut" Shaman scales, sorry about the pic, it's not the best angle, but this is what they look like.... I wasn't sure when I ordered them, but I figured with the rep he has, he probably knows what he's doing.... sure 'nuf, took me about 3 minutes after istalling to declare them awesome! I really like them, I am actually working on getting a couple more pairs from him in a diff material. He makes great stuff!

Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I really like those skinny scales. I plan on getting them when I get a Shaman. (Also going to get a set for my Cruwear Para 3)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

How well does the pakkawood on these keep clean? The pakkawood I've handled before felt like it'd get real dirty in no time (felt really porous)
FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 am
How well does the pakkawood on these keep clean? The pakkawood I've handled before felt like it'd get real dirty in no time (felt really porous)
Ive been carrying mine almost everyday but a few since recieving it. I haven't cleaned mine but it is getting more "grippy" with use and oils and dirt from my hands. The scales look the same as the day I got it, maybe even more vivid. I'm actually preferring these scales over the g10 for Shamans in terms of use. I didn't think this was going to be the case. Love the grip.

Post by 013 »

FreeGolf wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:40 am
Ive been carrying mine almost everyday but a few since recieving it. I haven't cleaned mine but it is getting more "grippy" with use and oils and dirt from my hands. The scales look the same as the day I got it, maybe even more vivid. I'm actually preferring these scales over the g10 for Shamans in terms of use. I didn't think this was going to be the case. Love the grip.
Do you prefer micarta over pakkawood for grip comfort?
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Micarta all the way for the comfort factor. I already unloaded my Rosewood model. Too smooth, feels like plastic, and the edges of the scales felt like they needed some fine sanding. Cruwear model has been a dream since day one! One of my favorites.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JMM

Post by JMM »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 pm
Micarta all the way for the comfort factor. I already unloaded my Rosewood model. Too smooth, feels like plastic, and the edges of the scales felt like they needed some fine sanding. Cruwear model has been a dream since day one! One of my favorites.
That's really interesting to me, I love most micarta, not the stuff that's polished smooth, but with actual texture, I love it... I do not like smooth G10 like most the Shaman models have, and I did not know what to think when I got my TreeRex but after using/carrying it a fair bit the last few weeks I have actually come to really like it, it's gotten more grippy / tacky and I'm really kinda digging it... have you (or anyone) ever owned/held/used any scales made from TeroTuf? I have held a Manix2 with TeroTuf scales and I actually think I like it more than anything else I've ever seen/held/used on a knife...
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JMM wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:23 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 pm
That's really interesting to me, I love most micarta, not the stuff that's polished smooth, but with actual texture, I love it... I do not like smooth G10 like most the Shaman models have, and I did not know what to think when I got my TreeRex but after using/carrying it a fair bit the last few weeks I have actually come to really like it, it's gotten more grippy / tacky and I'm really kinda digging it... have you (or anyone) ever owned/held/used any scales made from TeroTuf? I have held a Manix2 with TeroTuf scales and I actually think I like it more than anything else I've ever seen/held/used on a knife...
Just got my first TeroTuf scale (single scale for a domino), and I'm sure it won't be my last. I think it feels pretty indistinguishable from a textured micarta, but it's supposed to be tougher as the name would suggest. Time will tell on that aspect, but so far I'm loving it.

Edit: Mine is from Fireside, and I wanted to add that it was a pleasure doing business with them. I emailed to ask a few questions before ordering, and they responded right away and were super helpful and friendly. Seems like an excellent small family business.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey Julia - How do the TeroTuf scales compare to the grooved micarta from Putman that we have on our Manix's? I like those scales you have on that Domino as well as Pat's on his Para 3.

-Rick
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

JMM wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:01 am

I have a set of his "Skinny Cut" Shaman scales, sorry about the pic, it's not the best angle, but this is what they look like.... I wasn't sure when I ordered them, but I figured with the rep he has, he probably knows what he's doing.... sure 'nuf, took me about 3 minutes after istalling to declare them awesome! I really like them, I am actually working on getting a couple more pairs from him in a diff material. He makes great stuff!

Thank you JMM. Those scales look fantastic! That clip looks familiar too . . . ;)

Have you measured those scales by chance? To see how much skinnier they are each, or overall, when mounted on the knife?

On a side note. I dropped my Micarta/Rex yesterday, while climbing a ladder. The knife was about 5 to 6 feet off of the ground when it fell. I watched it fall, and of course it all seemed to be in slow-motion! :D
It did one rotation on the way down, and landed directly on its tip into the concrete (Murphy's Law). Blowing out a piece of the concrete, about the size of a kernel of corn in the process.

Here is a picture of the tip 'damage'. >

A few rubs of the CBN stone, and I'll be back in action! :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am
JMM wrote:

Thank you JMM. Those scales look fantastic! That clip looks familiar too . . . ;)

Have you measured those scales by chance? To see how much skinnier they are each, or overall, when mounted on the knife?

On a side note. I dropped my Micarta/Rex yesterday, while climbing a ladder. The knife was about 5 to 6 feet off of the ground when it fell. I watched it fall, and of course it all seemed to be in slow-motion! :D
It did one rotation on the way down, and landed directly on its tip into the concrete (Murphy's Law). Blowing out a piece of the concrete, about the size of a kernel of corn in the process.

Wow - major selling point for the Rex! Awesome to hear!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 am
Hey Julia - How do the TeroTuf scales compare to the grooved micarta from Putman that we have on our Manix's? I like those scales you have on that Domino as well as Pat's on his Para 3.
I'm not sure I could pick a favorite! I really like the grooves on the Putman scales, but I think the terotuf actually feels softer, despite having a slightly coarser weave. One interesting thing: the micarta scales are like sponges for oil. I recently swapped mine onto a CE manix for the barn, and I put little dabs of oil on the inside of the liners before reassembling the knife. The scales drank all that up and darkened significantly. I did the same on the terotuf scale, and I see just a bit of oil seeping through around the screws and lanyard hole. Scales are almost the exact same thickness. Maybe that oil "patina" will develop more with use on the terotuf, we'll see. I'm definitely keeping the micarta scales on one of my manix models, but I'm planning to get a terotuf set, too, once Fireside has them.

- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wow, those really darkened up! You're right though, after carrying mine exclusively all last week and sneakily not wearing cut gloves while at work (tisk tisk!!) because I wanted to see how those Putman scales truly felt in hand while working...I noticed they sucked up natural oils from my hands and look a bit different from when the week began.

Thanks for the comparison pics!

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am
JMM wrote:

That´s amazing... I had more damage on VG10 tips from stabbing the knife into wood... (SE and by that thinner chisel grind tips though)...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 am
I'm not sure I could pick a favorite! I really like the grooves on the Putman scales, but I think the terotuf actually feels softer, .....

Julia, both scales look great, but the terotuf even more so imho... I´d love such scales on my HAP40 Stretch 1, but in a darker denim I guess...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)