Post up your Rit dye projects..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Yep and you know the yellow peaking out might look pretty cool.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Been thinking of changing the color of my Vtoku2 Endura and wonder if that grayish blue could change to a sky/powder blue?

Anyone dye their Vtoku2 scales differently?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:10 pm
Been thinking of changing the color of my Vtoku2 Endura and wonder if that grayish blue could change to a sky/powder blue?

Anyone dye their Vtoku2 scales differently?
Had some Sapphire Blue dye and decided to give it a shot and see what it would do to a Vtoku2 Endura and Manix2 lw Maxamet grey. Just to compare the results of the coloring I laid them next to my BBS m390 para3.

Also dipped the hb for a change of scenery :D I didn't remove the blades at all and used the methods mentioned in this thread but didn't use vinegar at all. The Endura took less than 30 seconds to achieve the color above and the Manix2 took a couple of minutes longer.

The Maxamet blade ended up getting some light pitting but it's a user as well so didn't bother me....much. Still happy with results. :spyder:

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Got some better natural sunlight shots of this Sapphire Blue. Funny how the tops of the black G10 look teal in certain lights.

Not sure if that has anything to do with dye, they're definitely black when not reflecting light.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't dislike the factory scale colors at all, but man, that looks about perfect. I'd love more blue handles like that, perfect with jeans. The Manix and Endura above look great too.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:29 pm
Got some better natural sunlight shots of this Sapphire Blue. Funny how the tops of the black G10 look teal in certain lights.

Not sure if that has anything to do with dye, they're definitely black when not reflecting light.

That looks very good! You used the RIT Dyemore?

I'm going to do mine in a light or medium purple, at some point.

Edit: That modified sheep always looks awesome! I might just have to buy another and do that.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Edit: That modified sheep always looks awesome! I might just have to buy another and do that.

Yeah that's all I've been using for G10 these days. I prefer the liquid anyway but I tried a box of regular black powder and it didn't take at all. The Sheepscliffe (wharniesfoot?) is the best blade shape ever.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:12 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:02 pm

Yeah that's all I've been using for G10 these days. I prefer the liquid anyway but I tried a box of regular black powder and it didn't take at all. The Sheepscliffe (wharniesfoot?) is the best blade shape ever.
Awesome, I've been looking for someone's thoughts on it.

Yes, I have to agree. It looks like the only thing that could possibly kick the Caribbean Leaf PE out of my pocket!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Evil D wrote:
Wow, I can't look away from that. That is a GORGEOUS blade shape. I guess I have to pick up a Caribbean and have it reground now. Might as well get a PE and SE made up while I'm at it :D
Justin :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JustinB wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:56 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wow, I can't look away from that. That is a GORGEOUS blade shape. I guess I have to pick up a Caribbean and have it reground now. Might as well get a PE and SE made up while I'm at it :D

The only change I'd make (if I could) would be no thumb ramp. Then I'd be in EDC heaven.
~David
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

Tried my best for orange but either the concentration was too weak to do anything or it came out red. I stripped and repeated a couple times which acetone makes surprising short work of. Anyway, I followed up with a little acid etch and Gatorade bottle stone wash and thought it turned out well enough to share.
Attachments
7225A56E-F49B-474D-A88A-F9FBE0ECBD88.jpeg
EB30FCC9-3924-498B-A777-545195DD5BEF.jpeg
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I bought it this way and have left it alone. “Wine” RIT dye.

cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Both look great.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Project for this weekend completed; Rit Dyemore Peacock Green & Vinegar on previously Brown micarta scales for the CPM154/S90V.

And Earthbrown M390 scales on the DLC S90V (ala TKJ Cruwear Shaman) I like how deep the green came out on this Manix :spyder:

Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Now that looks darned nice! Thanks for the idea I have a tan / brown S35VN PM2 I have never been able to warm up to due to the scales color.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

toxophilus wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:12 pm
Project for this weekend completed; Rit Dyemore Peacock Green & Vinegar on previously Brown micarta scales for the CPM154/S90V.

And Earthbrown M390 scales on the DLC S90V (ala TKJ Cruwear Shaman) I like how deep the green came out on this Manix :spyder:

Ok, this one is impressive. Surprised how well the green came out over the brown!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I really like the dark green on that dlc Manix! I have a cruwear millie that’s been dyed “wine”. Would love to un-dye it and take it dark green. Which dye would y’all recommend for the light gray millie scales to get a dark forest green?
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

That DLC/Green Manix looks great! I've been meaning to do mine for a bit now and haven't pulled the trigger over concerns of it coming out too dark. Just tried to make my DF Salt HB a Smurf blue to add some brightness to the blue-ish variants but ended up with darker than I hoped, may try again with a light green dye and see if it come out brighter.
3538C017-AE4A-418B-9FD7-72D40A9318E9.jpeg
D1930D4A-E071-4358-B8D8-23134BBAA6A7.jpeg
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:33 am
I really like the dark green on that dlc Manix! I have a cruwear millie that’s been dyed “wine”. Would love to un-dye it and take it dark green. Which dye would y’all recommend for the light gray millie scales to get a dark forest green?
I'd take a look at the different shades of green that Rit offers and go with the lightest, as stated went with the Peacock Green; I had seen a posting on fb from a person that had done it and I loved how dark forest green the scales came out.

Below is a Cruwear Millie that I picked up on the BForums for a Benjamin; it was filthy dirty when I got it, since I had an extra at the time I decided to play with the Pearl Gray Rit dye. It came out too blueish for my taste so I took off the scales and soaked them in hair salon grade peroxide for a week; I then laid them out in the Colorado sun for a week and I really like how they turned more to a faded denim blue.

The following pics are when I first got it/cleaned it/initial dye job + stand offs :spyder:

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Lightest?!? Do you think the starting color of the scales matters much?if I’m starting with light gray and you started with brown scales, I would expect mine to wind go lighter.