I love my bread maker

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

I love my bread maker

Post by Doc Dan »

I have an Aussie brand Breville bread maker. I love this thing. In the last two weeks I have made chicken broth bread, butter walnut, and yesterday, olive bread. There is. I end of stuff to try.

I get me best results using Gold Medal flour.

Anyone else like making and experimenting with bread?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Re: I love my bread maker

Post by Naperville »

NO, but it sounds great!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

3 minutes prep time, including washing up, and bread in 3 hours.

I’ve also made banana loaf bread, apple bread, blueberry bread, pecan bread, and more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Yeah, we've been making bread since the mid-1980's when bread makers hit the market. It was a Hitachi and lasted for nearly 30 years. We replaced it with some newfangled thing a couple years ago, and the bread isn't as good. Now we just use it for making dough that we bake in the oven. But my wife just came up with a recipe for ciabatta that totally kicks butt, and she does it in the Instapot. She just made the second loaf today, and we've yet to cut into it. The first one was incredible.

But you got me thinking... I have another bread maker that sits on a shelf and I nearly forgot about. Although I've locked up for the evening, I'll go downstairs and take a couple pictures for you.

Universal Bread Maker, circa 1906
IMG_5516.jpg
IMG_5517.jpg
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Once in a while I buy a loaf of bread that has asagio cheese and jalapeno peppers in it. If I got a bread maker, right there is my sweet spot.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I like these microwave keto bread recipes:

90 second bread

Keto Mug Bread
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ours mainly gets used - and very successfully- for pizza dough!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I make pizza bread with mozzarella, pepperoni, olives, and etc. in my bread maker every now and then. There really is no end to what I can make.

Honey wheat and buckwheat maple are two more I’ve made.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I know these things are convenient, and you can make warm, fresh and fantastic bread at home, in nearly endless variations. I just worry about how large I would get if I had one.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:34 pm
I know these things are convenient, and you can make warm, fresh and fantastic bread at home, in nearly endless variations. I just worry about how large I would get if I had one.
If you eat small pieces there are less carbs. :D :D

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:23 pm
Yeah, we've been making bread since the mid-1980's when bread makers hit the market. It was a Hitachi and lasted for nearly 30 years. We replaced it with some newfangled thing a couple years ago, and the bread isn't as good. Now we just use it for making dough that we bake in the oven. But my wife just came up with a recipe for ciabatta that totally kicks butt, and she does it in the Instapot. She just made the second loaf today, and we've yet to cut into it. The first one was incredible.

But you got me thinking... I have another bread maker that sits on a shelf and I nearly forgot about. Although I've locked up for the evening, I'll go downstairs and take a couple pictures for you.

Universal Bread Maker, circa 1906

IMG_5516.jpg

IMG_5517.jpg
How do that operate? I don’t recall seeing one of those, before.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Doc, we had a bread maker years ago and I’m fairly sure it was a Breville too. Beloved wife used to make some really nice bread and olive bread with Kalamata olives was probably my favourite.

Our kids left home over a decade ago and the two of us would seldom if ever eat a loaf between us before it went stale, so no more bread makers for us.

We’re lucky and have a pretty good trendy baker a hundred yards from home here and usually buy small loaves of sour dough which I like toasted and drizzled with olive oil. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I had the more recent version of the hand cranked bread maker until just a couple years ago. We just picked up a modern marvel of a Sunbeam bread maker a couple days ago and love it! It makes it so easy to bake bread! I wish we had done it years ago!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:45 am
I had the more recent version of the hand cranked bread maker until just a couple years ago. We just picked up a modern marvel of a Sunbeam bread maker a couple days ago and love it! It makes it so easy to bake bread! I wish we had done it years ago!
Same thing I thought when I got mine. There is no end to what can be done. It will also make biscuit dough, pizza dough, and dumplings. No more messy mixing and kneeling. Just let the bread maker do that, then pop out the dough and go on cooking.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I didn't know that Doc...now the fun really begins!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:18 am
I didn't know that Doc...now the fun really begins!
Make sure to use high protein flour, not self rising (unless you are making biscuit dough). Most actual bread flour is high protein. All purpose flour may need you to add in some gluten flour. It depends on the protein level. I use Gold Medal bread flour mostly, but I think Martha White bread flour or any good brand would do. Gold Medal is great and I can get it over here, believe it or not.

If you add whole wheat flour you will need to add a little gluten flour. Your bread maker will probably have a recipe book to use as a beginning guide.

Enjoy! Let me know how it all turns out.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 am

We’re lucky and have a pretty good trendy baker a hundred yards from home here and usually buy small loaves...
Same here, hence just using the machine now for fresh pizza/flatbread/ciabatta dough, for the bbq grill.

I actually laughed out loud as I read your post, as I was chewing hard through some 4 day old artisanal sour dough at the time. The Mrs raises her eyebrows but at over 2 quid a loaf, that bread is getting eaten!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

2 loaves gone in less than 12 hours! Thanks again and I'll let you know Doc!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:00 am
2 loaves gone in less than 12 hours! Thanks again and I'll let you know Doc!
That's funny. You're bringing me back to about 36 years ago when Mrs. Iron and I were dating. We'd go to the mall, where there was a little bakery called "La petite boulangerie." We'd buy a loaf of French bread, then go someplace else to buy two Pepsis (the full-sugar non-diet kind). We'd find a bench to sit down, and that would be our lunch.

We were pretty scrawny back then. Maybe I should switch back to a diet of bread and soda.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I worked in a bakery a good number of years ago Rusty. I would constantly be eating at a garlic roll or some other bread, and that had the exact opposite effect on me. I probably went up a couple notches on my belt! Just the same, I could still live happily on what you described 😊
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032