Pacific Salt 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: Pacific Salt 2

Post by VooDooChild »

I have been making myself cary my foliage green ce sabre grind endura 4 alot in preperation for the pacific salt 2. I think it will do just fine.
The e4 handle is always weird to me. Its one of those handles that I find takes a couple days of constant carry to adapt to. But once I do I have no problems.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm
I have been making myself cary my foliage green ce sabre grind endura 4 alot in preperation for the pacific salt 2. I think it will do just fine.
The e4 handle is always weird to me. Its one of those handles that I find takes a couple days of constant carry to adapt to. But once I do I have no problems.
For me the E4 handle has such great ergos, that I almost can´t imagine anyone with my handsize (Lto XL) or smaller (down to medium) could NOT like it... :) But of course that is a very arrogant assumption.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

T-1000 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm
T-1000 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am
I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up. The thick Sabre ground blade with the sheepsfoot tip is a perfect design for guys like me that work outside in humid environments and don’t just use their knives for slicing sandwiches.
To be clear: I like the "thick sheepsfoot blade" of the Pac Salt a lot, but may I ask: Have you ever actually used a blade like the ffg Enduras (harder) "outside in humid enviroments"?
I do, and believe me: It can take a LOT more than just "sandwich slicing"... ;)
I have, and got really turned off by the fact after some moderate use two ffg enduras that I have owned developed pretty bad vertical blade play, which may have been a total coincidence, but either way I sold them. However my sabre ground SE endura and SE pac salt I have used much harder and they lock up tight as can be. I can only think that the thicker blade stock makes up for the lack of torsional rigidity of a linerless knife. A linerless, ffg version of the pac salt IMO would not be as much of a hard use knife and the currently discontinued model that we all know and love. I dont see how they could make such a knife and it not feel flimsy during use. Believe me, I LOVE the Endura but got away from it at work because sweating all over my knife all day made the liners rust. The Pac Salt was the perfect solution to this. However I would be OK for an FFG version to be offered in conjunction with a sabre ground model though, just like the current E4 offerings.

Thanks for your reply!

Honestly, I absolutely can´t see why an ffg blade should be more prone to developing vertical blade play than the exact same blade in sg..??? The more so, since the blades are exactly of the same stock thickness in the pivot area?

And you really literally "can´t see, how a ffg versio of the [current] Pac Salt could NOT feel flimsy during use"? I guess we´re just different here concerning that.
If for you an ffg blade feels flimsy, it will both in the linerless Pac Salt and the linered Endura handle
If for you a linerless handle feels flimsy, it will both with an ffg and a sg blade.
Just my 2 cents of course, I can´t speak for you! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:48 am
T-1000 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
T-1000 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:57 am
I hope it stays the same just with the E4 handle. The pac salt is my favorite work knives and a thinner ffg blade would take away from that. It is a workhorse and doesn’t need to be made more delicate with a thin, slicey blade made from a super steel that’s going to jack the price way up. The thick Sabre ground blade with the sheepsfoot tip is a perfect design for guys like me that work outside in humid environments and don’t just use their knives for slicing sandwiches.
To be clear: I like the "thick sheepsfoot blade" of the Pac Salt a lot, but may I ask: Have you ever actually used a blade like the ffg Enduras (harder) "outside in humid enviroments"?
I have, and got really turned off by the fact after some moderate use two ffg enduras that I have owned developed pretty bad vertical blade play, which may have been a total coincidence, but either way I sold them. However my sabre ground SE endura and SE pac salt I have used much harder and they lock up tight as can be. I can only think that the thicker blade stock makes up for the lack of torsional rigidity of a linerless knife. A linerless, ffg version of the pac salt IMO would not be as much of a hard use knife and the currently discontinued model that we all know and love. I dont see how they could make such a knife and it not feel flimsy during use. Believe me, I LOVE the Endura but got away from it at work because sweating all over my knife all day made the liners rust. The Pac Salt was the perfect solution to this. However I would be OK for an FFG version to be offered in conjunction with a sabre ground model though, just like the current E4 offerings.

Thanks for your reply!

Honestly, I absolutely can´t see why an ffg blade should be more prone to developing vertical blade play than the exact same blade in sg..??? The more so, since the blades are exactly of the same stock thickness in the pivot area?

And you really literally "can´t see, how a ffg versio of the [current] Pac Salt could NOT feel flimsy during use"? I guess we´re just different here concerning that.
If for you an ffg blade feels flimsy, it will both in the linerless Pac Salt and the linered Endura handle
If for you a linerless handle feels flimsy, it will both with an ffg and a sg blade.
I cant explain why my ffg E4’s have all developed play while my sg models haven’t. Maybe less metal in the pivot area bc of the thinner blade and thinner lock bar. If the ffg and sg versions are the same thickness in the pivot area, that would mean there’s less metal in the ffg pivot, and less rigity. Even my ffg p4 has a a tiny vertical play and I haven’t cut much of anything with it. Anyway I said it may be coincidence but I’m not the only one who’s experienced this from what I’ve read on the forums.
And no I don’t feel the sg pacific salt is flimsy at all because of the thick bladestock/lockbar combined with the insanely tight lockup. I think it would be the combination of a long ffg blade with linerless handles that may give it a flimsy feel, unless the handles were made thicker proportionately to the blade length, like the native. I also didn’t mean that ffg Enduras are only good at slicing sammiches, just saying it seems like some of the people that want a super thin, slicey dicey Blade in some super steel in every Spyderco are really only going to carry it to the office and cut sandwiches with it. To me the sg just fits the purpose of the knife and makes up for the lack of steel liners. Of course Sal knows how to design a knife better than you or I so I’m sure whatever comes out will be killer and I’ll be getting one.

Anyway didn’t mean to cause an argument but thanks for the conversation.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

T-1000 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
T-1000 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

I cant explain why my ffg E4’s have all developed play while my sg models haven’t. Maybe less metal in the pivot area bc of the thinner blade and thinner lock bar. If the ffg and sg versions are the same thickness in the pivot area, that would mean there’s less metal in the ffg pivot, and less rigity. Even my ffg p4 has a a tiny vertical play and I haven’t cut much of anything with it. Anyway I said it may be coincidence but I’m not the only one who’s experienced this from what I’ve read on the forums.
And no I don’t feel the sg pacific salt is flimsy at all because of the thick bladestock/lockbar combined with the insanely tight lockup. I think it would be the combination of a long ffg blade with linerless handles that may give it a flimsy feel, unless the handles were made thicker proportionately to the blade length, like the native. I also didn’t mean that ffg Enduras are only good at slicing sammiches, just saying it seems like some of the people that want a super thin, slicey dicey Blade in some super steel in every Spyderco are really only going to carry it to the office and cut sandwiches with it. To me the sg just fits the purpose of the knife and makes up for the lack of steel liners. Of course Sal knows how to design a knife better than you or I so I’m sure whatever comes out will be killer and I’ll be getting one.

I'd chalk it up as just poor luck. I'm pretty sure they use the exact same blade stock thickness, it's only the blade grind that is thinner so the lock and lock bar thickness etc should be identical. You should be able to swap the blades around in the different handles and see no difference.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:27 am
T-1000 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:52 am
Wartstein wrote:
T-1000 wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

I'd chalk it up as just poor luck. I'm pretty sure they use the exact same blade stock thickness, it's only the blade grind that is thinner so the lock and lock bar thickness etc should be identical. You should be able to swap the blades around in the different handles and see no difference.

I always thought that sg was thicker, well if you are right then maybe it has just been bad luck. The sg blade just feels more substantial I guess.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Correction: my p4 lw had a little trash around the lockbar, cleaned it up and lockup is solid. 👍
vivi

Post by vivi »

FFG and SG blades from the same model have the same thickness at the lock bar, lock interface and pivot area.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wonder if Sal would please confirm what color the Lc200n models will be. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm
I wonder if Sal would please confirm what color the Lc200n models will be. :)
Which LC200n models? Do we know by now there will be such (of the Pac Salt)?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I remember seeing the Lc200n Salts would be green, to differentiate them from the H1 models. Would be cool, if true. Of course, black would also be nice, for more discreetness for EDC. I like color and black.
- best wishes, Jazz.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:32 pm
I remember seeing the Lc200n Salts would be green, to differentiate them from the H1 models. Would be cool, if true. Of course, black would also be nice, for more discreetness for EDC. I like color and black.

Yeah, someone said Eric told them the LC200N Salts would be toxic green. Blacked out alternatives would be nice as well.

There were 6 different Pacific Salts if I recall. Yellow PE and SE. Black/Satin PE and SE. Blacked out PE and SE.

I still would love some FFG LC200N Pacfic Salt 1s in Toxic Green and blacked out
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:25 am
FFG and SG blades from the same model have the same thickness at the lock bar, lock interface and pivot area.
Thanks, I was totally wrong. Looked it up in the catalog yesterday like “well I’ll be damned.” I guess the taper of the ffg makes it seem thinner to me.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be in for a toxic green / black blade pac2!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:11 pm
:D :spyder: :D
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Looks like these are starting to show up. Can anyone confirm, is the pocket clip still titanium? I can’t find it in the description like the pacific salt 1.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Lighter than my Pacific Salt. Need to see what that's about lol (ordered).
3.0oz (86g) Pacific Salt
2.9oz (82g) Pacific Salt 2

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Definitely in!

:D

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I heard toxic green or something of the sort for the LC200N knives.

I am holding off ordering anything until I have enough to get the PAC2. I could never love the previous handle fir some reason.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I noticed the weight difference too. It's not that the Pac Salt isn't already light, and it's not that anyone will notice a tenth of an ounce, but hey, lighter is lighter. I've had a Pac Salt PE for many years, and I love it. I've wanted a SE for a long time, and now that time is coming soon.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Got my PS2, and it's lighter than advertised. My scale says 80g! That's what I call C.Q.I. Way lighter than an Endela. Has the Sal & Eric mark on the blade.

Weight in grams:

108 PM2
092 Endura 4 VG-10
087 Endela
086 Pacific Salt straight spine
080 Pacific Salt 2