Crazy Good Deals Part 2!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rbb2

Re: Crazy Good Deals Part 2!!

Post by rbb2 »

grubetown wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:06 am
jdw wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:25 am
Airlsee wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm
Has anyone received one of these CF Delica's in hand? I've got about 40 different Spydie's at this point and don't currently have a Delica in the collection, but a YouTube video bashing the fit and finish on this exclusive has me second guessing this awesome deal. Just looking for a little feed back and/or pics from someone that has picked one of these up. Thanks all!
Will report back when mine arrives. Btw, I think that YouTube video may be part of the reason these are still around...we shall see if he just got a dud.
I will look forward to your feedback as well. I have read some other reviews online that have kept me from picking one up. It will be good to hear what someone from this board thinks about the F&F and overall quality.
I ordered one and it should arrive Saturday
Same here, will report back.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Airlsee wrote:
Has anyone received one of these CF Delica's in hand? I've got about 40 different Spydie's at this point and don't currently have a Delica in the collection, but a YouTube video bashing the fit and finish on this exclusive has me second guessing this awesome deal. Just looking for a little feed back and/or pics from someone that has picked one of these up. Thanks all!
Hi Airslee -

Mine arrived in the mail (I have my knives delivered to my work) and I just took it out of the box on my lunch break to examine it. Initial reactions are favorable.. my sample seems to be a bit better quality than the one in (what I think is..) the review you're talking about on the youtube. I'm generally not a huge CF guy, so I may not be the best judge of these things, but aesthetically.. I think the scales look ok.. better in person actually than I was expecting based on pictures. There are some really small, subtle markings/deformations, but you really need to go out of your way to find them, viewing the knife at different angles under bright light. Are the scales perfect? .. no. Acceptable?.. yes, I think so.

CF nitpicking aside, the scales are mated very nicely to the liners and I would say the overall F&F and construction of the knife are really pretty good (my sample anyways..). The blade is ground evenly, and even the lamination lines are straight and near perfectly uniform. Centering is dead on, which is not something I usually care too much about, but more than I can say for some of my other Delicas. The pivot screw was quite loose right out of the box, but this is easily remedied.

My overall opinion is that, for a Delica, the knife is well done.. I do feel that it is a stretch at $170 (it is still a Delica after all), so I understand why these have been available for so long. The $126 that Fradon is selling them at now is probably a more reasonable price point. But at the $106 sale price.. for the steel, overall construction and F&F.. I'm really quite happy with this knife.

Hopefully this is helpful.. I'll try to post some pics tonight when I get home if I remember to.. Looking forward to others thoughts/opinions as well.. :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Hi Airslee -

Mine arrived in the mail (I have my knives delivered to my work) and I just took it out of the box on my lunch break to examine it. Initial reactions are favorable.. my sample seems to be a bit better quality than the one in (what I think is..) the review you're talking about on the youtube. I'm generally not a huge CF guy, so I may not be the best judge of these things, but aesthetically.. I think the scales look ok.. better in person actually than I was expecting based on pictures. There are some really small, subtle markings/deformations, but you really need to go out of your way to find them, viewing the knife at different angles under bright light. Are the scales perfect? .. no. Acceptable?.. yes, I think so.

CF nitpicking aside, the scales are mated very nicely to the liners and I would say the overall F&F and construction of the knife are really pretty good (my sample anyways..). The blade is ground evenly, and even the lamination lines are straight and near perfectly uniform. Centering is dead on, which is not something I usually care too much about, but more than I can say for some of my other Delicas. The pivot screw was quite loose right out of the box, but this is easily remedied.

My overall opinion is that, for a Delica, the knife is well done.. I do feel that it is a stretch at $170 (it is still a Delica after all), so I understand why these have been available for so long. The $126 that Fradon is selling them at now is probably a more reasonable price point. But at the $106 sale price.. for the steel, overall construction and F&F.. I'm really quite happy with this knife.

Hopefully this is helpful.. I'll try to post some pics tonight when I get home if I remember to.. Looking forward to others thoughts/opinions as well.. :)
Ok guys, here are a few quick pics.. Looking at it more closely under better lighting, the CF is not great. There are some small blemishes that are noticeable depending on how the light shines on it. It doesn't impede the knife's functionality in any way and doesn't really bother me aesthetically.. I actually think the knife looks pretty cool overall.. but I get how it could turn some people off. I don't think it's as terrible as the youtube review makes it out to be, but it is, by a pretty solid margin, the least impressive CF that I've seen used on a Spyderco knife. I did also notice a wonky uneven grind on the backspacer (which you can see in the centering pic).. like the blemishes on the CF, this is probably something you'd only notice if you're going out of your way to point out the knife's flaws. In summary.. I'd likely be disappointed if I had purchased this knife at $170..but at $106.. solid deal here, in my opinion..

:)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
grubetown

Post by grubetown »

Maybe we should start a new thread for the Delica HAP40 reviews :)
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I really appreciate the pics and info. The "issues" seem really nothing for a pocket knife. Unless maybe it is just to put behind glass and be admired.
This to me is really a great deal !!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Thanks for the writeup and pictures, it's really appreciated. The backspacer on my K390 P4 also came uneven but it looks like it's perfect compared to that, oh my! The grind isn't perfect but it doesn't look terrible, was it sharp? The P4 was probably a 7/10 in sharpness
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Anybody looking for some Lynch deep carry pocket clips, GP Knives has some in stock. A few interesting colors available as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 am
The P4 was probably a 7/10 in sharpness
Weird. In my experience Seki models have the worst out of box sharpness of all my Spyderco knives, but my P4 (k390) was laser sharp, like 10/10.

I've never really cared about it though, because I always sharpen my users anyway.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 am
The P4 was probably a 7/10 in sharpness
Weird. In my experience Seki models have the worst out of box sharpness of all my Spyderco knives, but my P4 (k390) was laser sharp, like 10/10.

I've never really cared about it though, because I always sharpen my users anyway.
I will end up sharpening and reprofiling it but I do prefer to use the factory edge first.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My CF/HAP40 Delica was in my mailbox when I got home from work a few minutes ago. I'm very pleased with it. I have several Delicas and this might be the nicest one yet. Especially considering the price.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm
My CF/HAP40 Delica was in my mailbox when I got home from work a few minutes ago. I'm very pleased with it. I have several Delicas and this might be the nicest one yet. Especially considering the price.
Mine came today, too. I would've been very happy with it, except there were scratches and scuff marks all over the scales! Maybe this was a return - don't think it was an F&F issue. Anyhow, I'm planning to exchange it through Fradon if I can.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Please use this thread for "Crazy good deals" only. While your input and feedback discussing the Fradon Lock Delica Exclusive is much appreciated, this is not the place for it.

Discussion specifically for the Fradon Lock Delica Exclusive can be found here -
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... a&start=40

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank you @Mushroom, I was going to suggest the same.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Knives Plus with a bunch of discontinued models again! Pricey, but some super rare knives!!

https://www.knivesplus.com/discontinued ... ction.html

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:46 pm
Knives Plus with a bunch of discontinued models again! Pricey, but some super rare knives!!

https://www.knivesplus.com/discontinued ... ction.html
HAP40 Caly 3 Sprint Run in there
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tempts me every time I see it! I'm sure Julia as well. I just dont know if I can pull the trigger at $175, while also being very content with my HH UKPK. Pulls at my heart strings every time I see it available though!

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 pm
Tempts me every time I see it! I'm sure Julia as well. I just dont know if I can pull the trigger at $175, while also being very content with my HH UKPK. Pulls at my heart strings every time I see it available though!
Don't worry you already have the better knife trust me
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 pm
Yep. My thoughts exactly (although I don't have a UKPK).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Not any deals, but I just noticed that Sharp Dressed Knives has a lot of scales available now that the last time I checked were out of stock. A few really tempting me for the Smock and Para 3...wish I didn't look!  :p

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Never have I underappreciated something so much than having ebay coupons on a regular basis...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb