Knife too thin

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Knife too thin

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been saying for years that a knife should be no thicker than it needs to be for its intended purpose. The problem is that pocket knives are multipurpose tools and we all use them differently.

I do not like too much flex though.

I have had knives that are too thin and I have damaged thin knives. I have also broken many utility blades. There is too thin for certain tasks.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 am

But in my personal view and experience 2mm stock for small folders and especially 3mm for large folders OFFER already the perfect "balance" and "middle ground" and are absolurely strong and stiff enough...

Again: Who has ever broken a 3mm Endura blade? Or felt that the blade itself (not the whole knife) was not stiff enough but "flexy" (honest question)
I am really looking for for your opinion on something that I sent your way....it is only 3 mm thick and ground quite think.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:18 am

But in my personal view and experience 2mm stock for small folders and especially 3mm for large folders OFFER already the perfect "balance" and "middle ground" and are absolurely strong and stiff enough...

Again: Who has ever broken a 3mm Endura blade? Or felt that the blade itself (not the whole knife) was not stiff enough but "flexy" (honest question)
I am really looking for for your opinion on something that I sent your way....it is only 3 mm thick and ground quite think.
You did indeed?! :)

Very much looking forward to it, my friend!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I wonder if anyone who wants a super thin and hard blade has tried the Sandrin TCK 2.0? It's basically a tungsten carbide razor blade in a slip joint. Blade thickness is said to be 0.9 mm. Be prepared to sharpen 71 HRC though. :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

As someone who has broken plenty of exacto and box cutter blades, there's definitely such a thing as too thin.

I'd say a big reason why people aren't satisfied with only box cutters is the fact that the blades are a consumable - from dulling, sure, but also from breakage.

If someone is paying for a proper knife, they expect the blade to have greater longevity than a box cutter blade.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I understand why others might need a thicker folder, I just don't see why almost every knife with a 3in+ blade has to be so thick. Pretty sure that the centofante is the only thing Spyderco makes over 3 inches that's under 3mm. And that's 2mm, so you can't tell me they could do a few folders in that range in 2.5mm.

I realize they make what sells, but I think the success of the frn chap shows there is an under served segment of the market that likes a thinner, slicier edc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:08 am
I understand why others might need a thicker folder, I just don't see why almost every knife with a 3in+ blade has to be so thick. Pretty sure that the centofante is the only thing Spyderco makes over 3 inches that's under 3mm. And that's 2mm, so you can't tell me they could do a few folders in that range in 2.5mm.

I realize they make what sells, but I think the success of the frn chap shows there is an under served segment of the market that likes a thinner, slicier edc.
Maybe you´d like to vote for such a knife in this poll I started quite some time ago (first link below) ? Though Sal said there would be no plans for a longer 2mm folder at the moment, it can´t hurt to advocate for one either... :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492&start=40

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85342&p=1377379#p1377379
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Police4 is 4.5 inches and has 3mm of distally tapered sliceyness.

The Centofante3 is 2mm but it has a low hollow grind and is somewhat rigid. I find the Delica with its 2.5mm stock to be both thinner and more flexible overall.

All that said, I would buy more 2mm thick blades.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Last week when I was scratching and cutting the felt stickers off from the chairs and table feet I had to switch from the Dragonfly to a fixed blade for the table stickers because the Dragonfly bent to a scary point when I tried to pry /peel the bigger stickers.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Generaly, thinner cut better. Thinner geometry, thinner stock, lower angle gives you less resistance and you could go as low angle as you don't find any chips in blade.
Looking back in history, frontiersman and pioneers were using basically thin kitchen knives with sheaths.... because they were cutting and slicing kinda soft materials.
Nowadays, if someone want to use his knife as a prybar, thin Delica is not going to suit him well. But I think anything over like 3 mm is really not needed in pocket knife. Fixed blade.....sure, thicker could be useful, but anything over 4 mm is overkill.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:35 am
Last week when I was scratching and cutting the felt stickers off from the chairs and table feet I had to switch from the Dragonfly to a fixed blade for the table stickers because the Dragonfly bent to a scary point when I tried to pry /peel the bigger stickers.

But I figure: It was not the DFly BLADE that bent? In other words: A "full tang DFly fixed blade" would have done ok?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I agree 100% the para 3 blade stock is stupid thick and that's why I have owned 3 and currently own 0 Pm3. I really like the thinner stock on my UKPK and delica. Police blade stock seems the best of any large folder I have
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

koenigsegg wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:43 am
I agree 100% the para 3 blade stock is stupid thick and that's why I have owned 3 and currently own 0 Pm3. I really like the thinner stock on my UKPK and delica. Police blade stock seems the best of any large folder I have

+1

And the Police has the same 3.00 mm stock as the Endura, Endela, Stretch.... strong, but still slicey (and around 20 % thinner than the much smaller Para 3)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:08 am
tonijedi wrote:

But I figure: It was not the DFly BLADE that bent? In other words: A "full tang DFly fixed blade" would have done ok?
It bent, quite lot. Scary lot in fact :eek:
JMM

Post by JMM »

Yes.

Long ago, in "The Dark Times" -- before I was introduced to the wonderful world of Spydie's, I had a SOG SlimJim XL, in theory it seemed like a good idea, super slim, should carry in the back pocket well. First day of carrying it, the third time I used it I think, but the first time I put any meaningful force into it, yeah... let's just say it's not a knife that without a glove, one should put any significant force into. Sold it that day to a coworker for 50% of what I paid for it.

The End.

Post by 013 »

JMM wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:19 pm
Yes.

Long ago, in "The Dark Times" -- before I was introduced to the wonderful world of Spydie's, I had a SOG SlimJim XL, in theory it seemed like a good idea, super slim, should carry in the back pocket well. First day of carrying it, the third time I used it I think, but the first time I put any meaningful force into it, yeah... let's just say it's not a knife that without a glove, one should put any significant force into. Sold it that day to a coworker for 50% of what I paid for it.

The End.
I thought we were talkin' thin blades, not thin handles?
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Are y'all calling my 6mm thick Bark River Bravo Squad Leader fat? 😂
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

How were you cutting? Did the pivot bend?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
tonijedi wrote:

How were you cutting? Did the pivot bend?
Removing the stickers could be done with cutting, scrapping and prying. Prying was the best because it didn't leave residues on the wood. The pivot started to bend and I grabbed the blade itself.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I use my knives for different tasks, I wouldn't want all of them to be thick or thin. I tend to favor knives that are around 2-3mm stock thickness and in full flat grind, I think that's a good middle ground especially if the blade is ground thin at the edge. I think thickness behind the edge is sometimes more important than blade stock thickness, especially depending on what you're cutting. I had a Military ground down to .010 behind the edge and the difference in slicing is significant but the spine thickness is still the same. Of course, that same knife would slice some materials even better if it were thinned out to 2mm. The type of steel and it's hardness also matter, some steel/hardness/knife model combos I wouldn't want ground very thin.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David