Best Pepper Spray for self-defense?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
silvershade255

Re: Best Pepper Spray for self-defense?

Post by silvershade255 »

I agree it's a good option, consider the different trigger types too. The small pocket ones are usually a slide and press, with a few flip top and press options as well.

If you ever have to spray it at someone or something, remember to move, if they don't stop immediately pretty good chance they're going to be upset and moving towards wherever they saw you last.

And, I would recommend finding some sort of professional instruction for this, it's a good idea to have been exposed to OC yourself. If you happen to catch some of it yourself and don't know how to react or what to expect it'll be a bad time.
"Seven for One"
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Fox Labs Mean Green is pretty efficiënt.

https://hooktube.com/watch?v=UStrWeN7bbI
clipartkind

Post by clipartkind »

My wife, 17 year old son and I just got back from a two mile walk,
we did not go our normal way because of a couple more dogs, that
said we still had three big dogs and around three more smaller dogs.

None of them got out of their fence, but sometimes the owners leave
the gates open, that really pi$$es me off when they do.

We always carry two walking sticks a G27 or a LC9s a knife and a phone,
I don't want to use any of that, have got to get some spray.
James Y

Post by James Y »

*Deleted, because I just noticed I had already posted essentially the same thing in this thread last year ( I had forgotten).

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I would recommend a gel because it's less likely to blow back. They usually make them with the uv identifier too. I don't carry pepper spray so I don't have any experience but the research I did years ago lead me to belive gel was better. So take that with a grain of salt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I personally have never had a whole lot of faith in pepper sprays overall.

A guy I got to know who at one time did some serious prison time for major theft. During his prison stint he said he was attacked on a few occasions>> that's the sad reality of prison unfortunately. However I truly believe in my heart that the guy turned his life around and I got to be pretty good pals with him over the years. He gave me some valuable lessons concerning self defense. He pointed out to me that if I thought that myself carrying a knife or any other weapon made me any safer I was fooling myself to a large degree. I now think he was right with that assessment as he proved to me that in most cases the attacker isn't going to give you enough time to deploy anything helpful.

Unless you are a lightning fast, highly trained fighter in great physical condition in most cases you're going to end up being a victim unfortunately. The time it takes to deploy a knife, pepper spray or any other SD weapon is usually way too slow. He showed me that it takes way too long in many cases to deploy anything helpful. Again I think the guy was giving me a valuable lesson of the realities of defense. But overall pepper spray isn't something I put much faith in.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A woman near here sprayed an attacker with pepper spray. He was trying to rob her or rape her or both. His reaction was to chop her in the head with a parang. Pepper spray can be a good deterrent for some, but like stun guns, there are some who do not react to it. I know someone who cannot smell and pepper has no affect, whatsoever, so there's that. I think it is a good first line but there needs to be another plan, too. I think I'd run after spraying. I would not hesitate or try to be a hero.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I used to know a guy on whom pepper spray had no effect whatsoever. I’m not really certain why. He had been sprayed many times. He would just smile and lick his lips, as if it ‘tasted good’. Some people may simply be born that way; others may have been sprayed so many times it no longer has any effect on them.

One woman I knew years ago told me when she used to work at a convenience store, a guy tried to rob her and she tried to pepper spray him. She said that under the stress of the situation, she accidentally sprayed herself in the face. Then she said she tried to wipe her face with her hand, which made it even worse. I’m not really sure how you could accidentally spray yourself with it, but lots of bizarre things can happen during moments of extreme stress. Luckily for her, the guy wasn’t interested in hurting her, and simply took cash from the cash register and left, while she lay incapacitated on the floor behind the counter.

OTOH, I know there are many situations where pepper spray has worked and allowed someone to escape. But personally, I don’t trust it due to the incident I posted about earlier in this thread, where the trigger mechanism froze up.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »