Waterway vs Siren

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

Waterway vs Siren

Post by fixall »

The Spyderco Waterway and Siren... One of these is going to replace a Morakniv Craftline Pro S and live in my tackle box (mainly fish for trout, bass, and panfish). Can anyone make a case as to why to choose one over the other, because I'm really struggling here.
Woodpuppy

Re: Waterway vs Siren

Post by Woodpuppy »

Tackle box —> fixed blade.
Carried on your person fishing, either way.
Carried on your person as EDC, Siren.

I don’t think I’d ditch the Morakniv though! They’re great knives and more easily replaceable than a Spyderco.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I think woodpuppy gives a pretty good answer. If it’s going to live in the tackle box then I would go with the waterway (unless space is an issue). I carry both a waterway and a folder like the pacific salt (soon to be replaced by the siren) when I’m out on the water kayak fishing. The folder still sees more use for the average tasks but the fixed blade gets the heavier work like removing fillets. I still find having a folder useful because its easy to keep it right there in the gunnel in a safely closed position. It is actually quicker for me to pick up and open a folder for something like cutting line than it is to remove the waterway, use it and re-sheath it. Anyway, I carry both and they definitely both have their uses. So get both. :p
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Yeah, fixed if it's just going to spend time in your tackle box.

I carry two folders on me while fishing, Pac salt clipped to my PDF and either a Dragonfly Salt or Native 5 Salt clipped my pocket.

I'm excited to get a Siren (that is if it ever shows up......)

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree with the above...in the boat/kayak/canoe I carry a folder, usually a native 5 salt (although the siren would be sweet). For cleaning fish later I use a fixed blade. I also fish for bass and panfish locally, plus pike when we go north.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I keep one or two or three fixed blades on the outside of my drybag when I go on the boat so that they are out of the way but easy to grab. Aqua salt, mora floating boat knife, and it was a mule team 25 as number three but that will be replaced with the waterway soon.

I then keep one rescue knife in the bag, atlantic salt primarily, or sometimes a sheepsfoot caribbean.

I then keep one folder on me in the pocket. Whatever Im in the mood for. I have alot of salt series knives. Really hoping we get a lil native lightweight backlock salt se. It would probably be the main one going in my pocket for general boat and beach use. The siren I will grab when fishing is on my mind.

Point is in my mind, you can never have enough salt series knives laying around if you are in the water alot.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Folders are for when you don’t have a dedicated spot to keep a fixed blade. Tackle boxes, go bags, glove boxes, these are places for fixed blades.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

I concur with everyone else here- I use a folder for general fishing tasks and my fixed blade for cutting fish. The folder is much easier to operate one-handed.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I think that by the time the Siren becomes available, even the rust resistant Waterway will rust away. -_-;
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I actually just got my waterway in the mail today. I love the thin-ness of the handle. Good job Lance. I hope the Siren translates over in terms of in hand feel. Now I just need to go fishing more.

Also love how small and well thought out the sheath is, especially the one handed thumb push off.

For me personally I dont like the forward half choil finger grip but I understand when it is incorporated in certain designs.

Pairs perfectly with a serrated aqua salt. If you want to cover 100% of your fixed blade boat knives then I would say between a waterway, a se aqua salt, and any large filet knife of your choosing, you would be covered.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
fixall

Post by fixall »

There’s some great advice here and I think I’m going to take it. :)

I always have a folder and a Swiss Army knife in my pocket when fishing from the shore and carry an Assist Salt when I’m on an inflatable. So I’m thinking you guys are right and I should probably go with the Waterway if it’s going to live in the tackle box. Might as well have the extra blade length and couple less points of failure (lock and pivot) if I have the room.

Although, now that I think about it... I don’t really have a dedicated folder for fishing anymore since I passed along my Salt Wharncliffe SE so maybe I should just buy both.

Y’all are a bunch of enablers. :D