2nd run Teal Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: 2nd run Teal Dragonfly

Post by Mushroom »

It's the color that makes it sell so fast. I imagine it would sell just as well if it were VG10.

The teal Delica was VG10 and it still ended up selling out in a couple days, if I recall correctly.
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:23 pm
Seems weird seeing everyone excited about something in S30V these days that's all! Like all the people that passed on a favorite of ours because S30V (Smock)

I too think it's a nice color, but the V-toku Sprint is too similar. I even asked my wife if she would want it. But she says she's content with her Ladybug and SAK. Swing and a miss! :p
She's waiting for the K390 Dragonfly :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
araneae

Post by araneae »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Seems weird seeing everyone excited about something in S30V these days that's all! Like all the people that passed on a favorite of ours because S30V (Smock)

I too think it's a nice color, but the V-toku Sprint is too similar. I even asked my wife if she would want it. But she says she's content with her Ladybug and SAK. Swing and a miss! :p
I'd say its very, very different from the V-toku gray/blue.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

I lucked out and got one of these when they were released initially. I have to say, that teal really pops and it looks great.

Those that weren't happy with the s30V. I don't really know what they were hoping for with this knife. It's the perfect knife for a coin pocket. It's a great size, and it cuts well above it's size class for that matter. However, it's still a fairly small knife all things considering. Going to a higher grade of steel than s30V doesn't make much sense to me. I understand not having the need of sharpening and edge retention. If you're doing that much work though, you're probably switching to a bigger knife.

I use my dragonfly for the small detailed work, cutting tape, packages and things. If i'm breaking down boxes or perhaps more heavy duty work, i'm switching to something that's going to take up my whole hand and be comfy for extended use. Steel doesn't play much of a role in that decision. I'm going to be much more comfortable using a VG-10 endura over a k390 ladybug if i need to make cardboard fit in our recycling bin. Just as an example.

So the color of the knife caught me, and i was even happier to find it came in s30V. It's a great steel, and for the price it was well worth it to me.

Congrats to those that managed to snag the new batch :). I was hoping to pick up a second but missed the mark.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

araneae wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I'd say its very, very different from the V-toku gray/blue.
Yep. The vtoku was a nice color, but still a muted color. This one is bold! ;) And if the Smock ever comes in teal, I'll buy it, too! :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:09 pm
I picked one up the first go around a gifted it to my daughter. She loves it!!! No need for another, but exciting for those still looking to get one.

CG
Same here - picked up two to give to my youngest daughters, and the one that has hers loves it. (still waiting for a birthday for the youngest to get hers)
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:19 pm
It's definitely the color on this one.
Totally agree. Exactly why I picked it up for them - pretty much their favorite color.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BLJace wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 pm
I lucked out and got one of these when they were released initially. I have to say, that teal really pops and it looks great.

Those that weren't happy with the s30V. I don't really know what they were hoping for with this knife. It's the perfect knife for a coin pocket. It's a great size, and it cuts well above it's size class for that matter. However, it's still a fairly small knife all things considering. Going to a higher grade of steel than s30V doesn't make much sense to me. I understand not having the need of sharpening and edge retention. If you're doing that much work though, you're probably switching to a bigger knife.

I use my dragonfly for the small detailed work, cutting tape, packages and things. If i'm breaking down boxes or perhaps more heavy duty work, i'm switching to something that's going to take up my whole hand and be comfy for extended use. Steel doesn't play much of a role in that decision. I'm going to be much more comfortable using a VG-10 endura over a k390 ladybug if i need to make cardboard fit in our recycling bin. Just as an example.

So the color of the knife caught me, and i was even happier to find it came in s30V. It's a great steel, and for the price it was well worth it to me.

Congrats to those that managed to snag the new batch :). I was hoping to pick up a second but missed the mark.
You still can! This was just one dealer's pre-order. But this df was a distributor exclusive, so lots of dealers will get them. Probably in the next few days.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Just a heads up...looks like these were in stock at Knifejoy but already sold out. But they are trickling in to other dealers now.
- Julia

atv223

Post by atv223 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Just a heads up...looks like these were in stock at Knifejoy but already sold out. But they are trickling in to other dealers now.
I didn't know they were dropping today at KnifeJoy, but I new it was going to be soon. At least twice and hour I check the their site all day while at work. Near the end of my hour commute home, I was at a stop light and decided to check again. In stock! I almost crashed the car. I add it to my cart and then as soon as possible pulled over to check out. GONE! Unbelievable. If it had dropped literally any other time of the day I would have gotten one. SMH
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

atv223 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:46 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I didn't know they were dropping today at KnifeJoy, but I new it was going to be soon. At least twice and hour I check the their site all day while at work. Near the end of my hour commute home, I was at a stop light and decided to check again. In stock! I almost crashed the car. I add it to my cart and then as soon as possible pulled over to check out. GONE! Unbelievable. If it had dropped literally any other time of the day I would have gotten one. SMH
Yeah I saw their IG post, and it basically sold out as soon asthat went up I think. But I bet the bigger dealers will get bigger shipments.
- Julia

atv223

Post by atv223 »

[/quote]

Yeah I saw their IG post, and it basically sold out as soon asthat went up I think. But I bet the bigger dealers will get bigger shipments.
[/quote]

Fingers crossed!!
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

JuPaul wrote:
Why do you do this! my poor wallet.

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out :).
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

BLJace wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Why do you do this! my poor wallet.

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out :).
Terribly sorry! And you're welcome. ;)
- Julia

Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I am looking forward to seeing more available. Will keep looking. Just missed both recent batches.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

National Knives has them.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks! Have the teal Delica and hoped to snag one of these.
:spyder:
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

atv223 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:21 am
National Knives has them.
awesome! ordered it.
i can finally give this to my sister and get my vtoku df back
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mine showed up today from REC. I really like the color and would definitely want to see other models with it!
-Nick :bug-red
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

Well, missed again. National knives will let you put it in your cart, but shows nothing when you attempt to pay.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Well, missed again. National knives will let you put it in your cart, but shows nothing when you attempt to pay.
You might want to try again. I just tried and it seems to be working. I got all the way to check out with PayPal (I already ordered mine earlier so I wasn’t going to order again). If not, email them, they are very responsive to email.