My first Spydiechef ... I love it but ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

My first Spydiechef ... I love it but ...

Post by elena86 »

That lock stick is sooo disturbing... to say at least. Is it normal ? That aside it's an inspired design and a great performer. It slices like a dream and the ergos are perfect for my hand. I like my blades to be as pointy as possible so I moded my Chef.... Gringo style :D NOW the blade looks awesome !

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Re: My first Spydiechef ... I love it but ...

Post by The Meat man »

That's a neat mod Marius. Nicely done!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Nice work Marius! Looks great. Did you try pencil lead on the lock yet?

CK
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Xplorer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm

CK

No Sir I didn't but I hear people saying that is useless or at least it will work for a while only ... I didn't expect that much lock stick, it's quite annoying... I wonder if that lock bar face is carburized or something...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Mine had terrible lock stick. Dont do anything, it will go away on its own. Mine took about three days. I did have to sit down with it one afternoon and just constantly open and close it until my fingers couldnt take it anymore. But the next day the lock stick just sort of turned off.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
elena86

Post by elena86 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 pm
Mine had terrible lock stick. Dont do anything, it will go away on its own. Mine took about three days. I did have to sit down with it one afternoon and just constantly open and close it until my fingers couldnt take it anymore. But the next day the lock stick just sort of turned off.

Thanx for the tip. It's good to know ...
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mine had lock stick but not that bad. At any rate it completely went away within the first week.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:27 pm
No Sir I didn't but I hear people saying that is useless or at least it will work for a while only ... I didn't expect that much lock stick, it's quite annoying... I wonder if that lock bar face is carburized or something...

:) Ultimately wearing it in is going to be the right solution of course, and I agree with the suggestion to open and close it a lot if you want to speed up that process. I was just asking if you tried pencil lead because it can provide some immediate (albeit temporary) improvement if you're finding the lock stick particularly annoying and want a quick fix that won't cause permanent change in tolerances. There are ways to really fix it quickly but I try to be careful not to suggest anything here that has the potential to end badly or void the Spyderco warrantee. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Spydiechef is a very nice design. My only complaint was wear on the detent ball due to corrosion but they fixed that a long time ago by switching to ceramic detent balls. It is an outstanding execution of a great design. I gave mine to a friend in New Zealand a few years ago but I should probably pick up another. Nice mod Marius.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

congrats on your new knife. i always though these were cool. i’d love to see a cheaper version of this knife with g10 and a compression lock though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C

Post by 013 »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:27 pm
Xplorer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 pm

CK

I've used a pencil on the blade tang contact surface & it helped. All you have to do is draw it on (on it.).
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder:
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I’ve had 4 Spydiechefs go through my hands and all had stick that didn’t go away with time and use.
My oldest, which is my current EDC knife, still has stick after over a year of daily carry.

Nice mod tho!
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

After day 1 of mine i took it apart and applied sharpie to both the tang and lock face before carefully reassembling. Lockstick disappeared instantly.
The second time i disassembled it i removed the sharpie application without reapplying it. Still no lockstick.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marulaghost wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:43 pm
After day 1 of mine i took it apart and applied sharpie to both the tang and lock face before carefully reassembling. Lockstick disappeared instantly.
The second time i disassembled it i removed the sharpie application without reapplying it. Still no lockstick.

Excuse my ignorance but ... what sharpie ? The same sharpie I use to mark the cutting bevels ?
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

SG89

Post by SG89 »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:46 pm
Marulaghost wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but ... what sharpie ?
Permanent marker... Sharpie is a brand name
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I picked up my CQI spydiechef on the exchange. For $175. Because the previous owner said it had really bad lock stick. However the lock cutout is so small for my thumb. I hit the bar with my thumbnail, and I don't experience lock stick.
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:46 pm
Marulaghost wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but ... what sharpie ? The same sharpie I use to mark the cutting bevels ?
I just used regular black sharpie. The kind you can get at any store
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I understand. You bought a knife knowing that; in your mind, it had flaws and you bought it and modified it to what you thought you wanted. You cut the string.
Guess your going to have to live with it!

I think it's excellent right out of the box.