Your iwb carry.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SAF-1

Re: Your iwb carry.

Post by SAF-1 »

And plz, whatever you plan on carrying ?? Practice and make sure you can deploy it !!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

And even more important, practice and make sure you know WHEN to deploy it...and when NOT to.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:24 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 pm
I wanna buy?

Inside waistband.

I don’t. I think it’s a crazy way to carry. Real bad if the knife opens somehow.
I take it you dont have shorts without pockets.
Justin
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

crazywednesday wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:42 pm

No, because I like to carry knives, and other things.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

crazywednesday wrote:
Jazz wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:
I wanna buy?

Inside waistband.

I don’t. I think it’s a crazy way to carry. Real bad if the knife opens somehow.
Not trying to be rude, but why would you buy shorts without pockets? Where do you keep your wallet/id, Phone, keys, etc? All in you waistband?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:41 pm
crazywednesday wrote:
Jazz wrote:
5-by-5 wrote:
I wanna buy?

Inside waistband.

Not trying to be rude, but why would you buy shorts without pockets? Where do you keep your wallet/id, Phone, keys, etc? All in you waistband?

I think we're mostly talking running shorts here. They often don't have and don't need real pockets (or just a small key pocket).
I do a lot of trail running, and would absolutely not want to have wallet, phone.. in my pockets anyway when doing so.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 pm
I do a lot of trail running
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Ha ha! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:

:p :p :p
Well, the "loose weight" aspect of running didn´t work out for me... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

None, ever. The only thing I occasionally carry IWB is a handgun and most days even that goes in a pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Hey! I think you used my likeness without expressed consent. :D
Justin
Monty

Post by Monty »

Backlocks only and now only backlocks with an adjustable pivot. Have one older Spydie that's worn to the point it inertia opens really easily and can't be tightened.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

40mm wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:31 pm
Well after the shortest failed attempt to live strictly with a Delica, I'm back with old faithful...a Dragonfly in H1 with a serrated edge. I carry the D'fly IWB for a few different reasons like being discreet at work, or while running so it isn't bouncing around attached my shorts pocket. The size of this knife is fine in waistband for me and I have often thought I lost it only to check my pants from the day before and there it is clipped under the belt. This was also a reason why the Delica didn't work for me. Handle was waaaayyy too long for IWB carry. Echoing others, I would ONLY carry a lockback knife this way due to their nature of wanting to stay closed.

If the usable cutting edge of the DFly is long enough for you: Then it´s certainly by far the very best choice for a small IWB -carry!
(Except in theory TOO short knives tend to work themselves loose and get lost when carried IWB a bit easier than longer ones - but never happened to me).

If you are like me and want more edge in a not much larger closed package (just a bit longer, but probably even slimmer) for IWB:
Go Chap FRN. Sure it´s a lot "heavier" and clearly less corrosion resistant than the H1 DFly, but for me it works perfectly well as a small IWB (running-) folder. Unfortunately NO SE version (Serrations in that thin (thinner than a DFly) ffg blade would be amazing)

For comparsion:
Closed length / edge (not blade!) length DFly: 3.32 / 1.875
Closed length / edge (not blade!) length Chap: 3.60 / 2.35
Closed lengh/ edge (not blade!) length Delica: 4.25 / 2.563
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The only time I carry a knife IWB is swimming, cycling, or other activity when I don’t have pockets, in which case I’m wearing a Salt; or if I’m in a place that demands more discretion than a visible pocket clip. That second situation is rare, since I won’t often visit or spend my money someplace that bans freedom. A cancer that is spreading I’m afraid.
Terp61

Post by Terp61 »

No knife IWB. My 9mm goes IWB.
Marko

Post by Marko »

I’ve been carrying IWB for about as long as I have been using folding knives, about 25yrs... It’s a perfectly acceptable and safe way to carry. I have an active lifestyle so I rotate between a Pacific Salt and Native Salt for IWB.

Yes, if you live in warmer climates, IWB carry does contribute to corrosion.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Marko wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm
I’ve been carrying IWB for about as long as I have been using folding knives, about 25yrs... It’s a perfectly acceptable and safe way to carry. I have an active lifestyle so I rotate between a Pacific Salt and Native Salt for IWB.

I am with you, it´s perfectly acceptable and (at least with lockbacks) perfectly safe...

Only thing: If you live in colder climates, and often times wear untucked Shirt plus Jacket plus vest plus maybe a hip bag / fanny bag (in Europe more positively seen then in the US.. ;) ), the knife gets very hard to access when carried IWB
Marko

Post by Marko »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 pm
Marko wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm

I am with you, it´s perfectly acceptable and (at least with lockbacks) perfectly safe...

Only thing: If you live in colder climates, and often times wear untucked Shirt plus Jacket plus vest plus maybe a hip bag / fanny bag (in Europe more positively seen then in the US.. ;) ), the knife gets very hard to access when carried IWB

Absolutely! I would also add that situation dictates the location you carry on your body. In gym/fitness clothes/boardshorts IWB is almost a must. Access is always going to be different depending where you carry. Backlocks are safest but I haven’t had any issues with framelocks, liner locks or comp locks but that comes down to knowing your equipment or knife.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I carry pretty much all of my spydies IWB, except for my Ladybug which is connected to a victorinox classic SD that fit perfectly in my watch pocket.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
PStone

Post by PStone »