Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by The Meat man »

Holocene Extinction wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm
The backlock models have that strong bias to stay closed, so if your state also has a Woodrow Wilson for “gravity knives” the entire Endura family (delica, Endela, stretch, endura) would be a great choice. There are other dressier knives (chaparral, native etc) also. Finally, the UKPK is a slip joint in a great size.

What is your actual environment (not political :mad:)? Arid or humid? Is there significant salt water in your life? Salt series might make sense for you.

Basically, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a fantastic Spyderco.

No issue with gravity knives ironically at the moment, just “ dangerous “ knives

So far I’m looking at a few inquiring manix 2, shaman, bombshell, etc
Does your state offer any definition of "dangerous"?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
VooDooChild

Re: Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by VooDooChild »

Well if you do something wrong with a legal knife you will still get in trouble, and if you dont do anything wrong with an illegal knife people need never know that you had it.

I would also bet most people in your state dont know what the knife laws are.

Knife laws are something I mostly roll my eyes at.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was carrying almost nothing but a Military of some form for a few years until I got a Caribbean, so I'd have to recommend one of those. They pack the same edge length as a Military in a smaller folded package. Edge length wise it's a good bit bigger than a Shaman/Manix 2. The Pacific is also a good non threatening name you could go with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blades

Post by Blades »

Tatanka?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Our missing friend with huge hands loved the Manix XL. You might look at the Police, Native Chief, and Endura. I have 2XL hands and the Endura is fine once I take down that finger bump in the middle a little bit. Some don’t need to do that even.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Police 4 ?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Holocene Extinction

Post by Holocene Extinction »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:34 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm
The backlock models have that strong bias to stay closed, so if your state also has a Woodrow Wilson for “gravity knives” the entire Endura family (delica, Endela, stretch, endura) would be a great choice. There are other dressier knives (chaparral, native etc) also. Finally, the UKPK is a slip joint in a great size.

What is your actual environment (not political :mad:)? Arid or humid? Is there significant salt water in your life? Salt series might make sense for you.

Basically, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a fantastic Spyderco.

No issue with gravity knives ironically at the moment, just “ dangerous “ knives

So far I’m looking at a few inquiring manix 2, shaman, bombshell, etc
Unfortunately no. I just cannot carry for self defense by law. I’ve never had a problem in my life, I drive I don’t walk. However during times like these, I prefer to be on the safer side.

It would be easier for those with bad intentions to call it a “ dangerous knife “

It’s all semantics, right now I am looking at the Stretch 2. Love the drop of the blade, reminds me of the UKPK I have on the way.

I’m an upstanding citizen with no priors, and locally I will have no issues, statewide is a different issue which is why I’m leaning towards the stretch over the “ police. “

Quasi police state
Holocene Extinction

What is everyone’s opinion on the stretch 2 G-10, discontinued but still available? Vs the regular FRN model?

It looks like it hits all the notes, but ZDP-189 Steel would be a pia for me to sharpen.

Any info is appreciated.

Ok and Tatanka is a cool blade I saved, thanks to whomever suggested, just a tad too much blade for my taste at 5 inches.
Last edited by Holocene Extinction on Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Unfortunately no. I just cannot carry for self defense by law. I’ve never had a problem in my life, I drive I don’t walk. However during times like these, I prefer to be on the safer side.

It would be easier for those with bad intentions to call it a “ dangerous knife “

It’s all semantics, right now I am looking at the Stretch 2. Love the drop of the blade, reminds me of the UKPK I have on the way.

I’m an upstanding citizen with no priors, and locally I will have no issues, statewide is a different issue which is why I’m leaning towards the stretch over the “ police. “

Quasi police state
I see.

How about the Siren? It should be available pretty soon here.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Holocene Extinction

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Quasi police state
I see.

Looks good but I’m looking for more of an extended out spydie hole, the stretch 2 ( non straight ) frn / g10 models both look like the spider hole is very well extended from the handle.

Any opinion on stretch 2?

Thank you and everyone else.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Another thing to consider is a lot of places have different laws so long as you are on your way to, participating in, or on your way from hunting and fishing activities. Im not telling you to push the envelope, but I am saying you can just leave a fishing pole and tackle box in your car. People can be pretty lenient about you having a knife if you "just got back from fishing".
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:41 pm
The Meat man wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

Quasi police state
I see.

Looks good but I’m looking for more of an extended out spydie hole, the stretch 2 ( non straight ) frn / g10 models both look like the spider hole is very well extended from the handle.

I don't have a Stretch but those who have them seem to really like them. I considered getting the G10 ZDP 189 version back when it was discontinued but never pulled the trigger.
- Connor

Holocene Extinction

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:46 pm
Another thing to consider is a lot of places have different laws so long as you are on your way to, participating in, or on your way from hunting and fishing activities. Im not telling you to push the envelope, but I am saying you can just leave a fishing pole and tackle box in your car. People can be pretty lenient about you having a knife if you "just got back from fishing".
Ah good point.

I even have a legitimate hunting / fishing license to go with it. Funny enough I don’t fish or hunt though
Holocene Extinction

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Quasi police state
I see.

I don't have a Stretch but those who have them seem to really like them. I considered getting the G10 ZDP 189 version back when it was discontinued but never pulled the trigger.

Blade HQ is offering them for the fantastical price of 209.99... I’m being sarcastic and of course understand certain models are more expensive.

Edit: Seems like I got right back into knife collecting at a weird time where everything is either sold out or discontinued.

Would you call that a fair price for the stretch g-10 / ZDP model from bladeHQ?

Cant seem to find them anywhere else that is a well known dealer besides knifeworks for around 235 I think.

Msrp 359.95 on spyderco website. I guess 210-235 would be fair considering how late to the game I am.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51 pm
The Meat man wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

I see.

Blade HQ is offering them for the fantastical price of 209.99... I’m being sarcastic and of course understand certain models are more expensive.

Edit: Seems like I got right back into knife collecting at a weird time where everything is either sold out or over priced.

Cant seem to find them anywhere else.

Msrp 359.95 on spyderco website. I guess 210 would be fair considering how late to the game I am.
Yeah $210 honestly doesn't sound too bad to me. The G10 models from Seki City are really pricey for some reason. (Which is partly why they're moving away from G10 and more towards FRN in Japan.) I think the G10 Stretch retailed for about $200 before it got discontinued. For a short while it could be had then for $160 - $170 but you probably won't find that price anymore.
- Connor

Holocene Extinction

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 pm
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:51 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Edit: Seems like I got right back into knife collecting at a weird time where everything is either sold out or over priced.

Cant seem to find them anywhere else.

Msrp 359.95 on spyderco website. I guess 210 would be fair considering how late to the game I am.
Yeah $210 honestly doesn't sound too bad to me. The G10 models from Seki City are really pricey for some reason. (Which is partly why they're moving away from G10 and more towards FRN in Japan.) I think the G10 Stretch retailed for about $200 before it got discontinued. For a short while it could be had then for $160 - $170 but you probably won't find that price anymore.
You’re correct.

between 210 at bladeHQ or 233 at knifeworks

Country has it for 360, lol
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I still stand by a Manix. Many different models and scale materials ranging from $100-$180ish. Good size knife, large hole.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:04 pm
Manix 2 or Shaman.
Manix 2. For sure.

The LW can be had at really good prices, and still in pretty good steel selections.
Holocene Extinction

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:09 pm
I still stand by a Manix. Many different models and scale materials ranging from $100-$180ish. Good size knife, large hole.
Beautiful knife, I just know I would have to explain the switch on the handle, which scares a lot of folks (idiots will think it’s an assisted folder.)

I own the yojimbo, I just don’t stroll around with it, I’ll probably pick up the manix one day
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:25 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:09 pm
Beautiful knife, I just know I would have to explain the switch on the handle, which scares a lot of white folk (idiots will think it’s an assisted folder.) I’m as white as a vampire this isn’t a race thing, just optics and specifications.

I own the yojimbo, I just don’t stroll around with it, I’ll probably pick up the manix one day
It's not a switch though, it's a caged ball bearing lock. Kind of like the axis lock from Benchmade in terms of looks from the outside. How many people would see your knife while in use? In pocket, chances are nobody would even notice.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick