Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holocene Extinction

Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by Holocene Extinction »

I’m looking for any opinion on the most comfortable blade that opens easily with one hand, but isn’t a para or military etc.

This is due to local regulations. I have no blade length restrictions besides it cannot be an assisted opener, however cannot carry “dangerous” knives, and knives with military names unfortunately add to this.

It can be big, locking etc, just not with military in the name (stupid I know.)

Thanks
Wartstein

Re: Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by Wartstein »

Of the knives I own I´d say Pac Salt, since it has a large opening hole.

But if you´re not used to and familiar with lockback knives, other locktypes will most likely feel a bit easier to open one handed (though imho it is worth the time to BECOME used to lockbacks..)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Re: Most comfortable spyderco hole / spyderco folder for large hands that isn’t part of the “ military “ series?

Post by SG89 »

Is the Stretch big enough for you?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im so confused. So the military would be fine if it had a different name? Spyderco doesnt print the name on their g10 knives like the military. Are you going around telling people what its called and all of a sudden the name is the problem? If thats the case I would just lie about the name. Tell them its called a spyderco lovepuppy or a spyderco cuddlebug. I so rarely ever meet someone who actually knows specific models of knives.

I would just carry it anyway, but a pacific salt or police 4 lighyweight would probably be a nice transition from the military.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Manix 2 or Shaman.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Maybe the problem is the compression lock is easy to flick open?
It is not assisted.
Holocene Extinction

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:04 pm
Manix 2 or Shaman.
The shaman would work but it looks like part of the hole is covered by the handle similar to the yojimbo 2, which isn’t as comfortable as I’d like.

Is the shaman more comfortable?
Holocene Extinction

tonijedi wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:17 pm
Maybe the problem is the compression lock is easy to flick open?
It is not assisted.
No it’s purely a matter of semantics.

My state has a statue against “ dangerous knives “ however where I live is fairly conservative. So my point is I would rather have a blade called the shaman or the oracle than the military etc, for edc.

Plus a comfortable hole to open
Last edited by Holocene Extinction on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holocene Extinction

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm
Im so confused. So the military would be fine if it had a different name? Spyderco doesnt print the name on their g10 knives like the military. Are you going around telling people what its called and all of a sudden the name is the problem? If thats the case I would just lie about the name. Tell them its called a spyderco lovepuppy or a spyderco cuddlebug. I so rarely ever meet someone who actually knows specific models of knives.

I would just carry it anyway, but a pacific salt or police 4 lighyweight would probably be a nice transition from the military.
It’s just semantics, I don’t tell people what I carry.
Holocene Extinction

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
Indeed it is, I’m looking at stretch 2 models currently vs the upcoming sprint run and current Shamans.
Last edited by Holocene Extinction on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Holocene Extinction wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:26 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:04 pm
Manix 2 or Shaman.
The shaman would work but it looks like part of the hole is covered by the handle similar to the yojimbo 2, which isn’t as comfortable as I’d like.

Is the shaman more comfortable?
I've never handled a yojimbo, so I can't relate. There are plenty here that have/had both that can probably answer that for you. I have 3 Shaman's...so there's my thoughts on the comfort of that knife haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Manix 2 is excellent in my XL hands.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would definitely vote for the manix 2 lw. the hole is larger than many other spyderco models and the knife is very comfortable in the hand. it's a great knife and still easy to open and close with one hand.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have crazy wide hands, and for me, the Police4 G10 or Ulize are the most comfortable, for FRN, the Stretch2 or P4 LW
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Holocene Extinction wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:30 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm
Indeed it is, I’m looking at stretch 2 models currently vs the upcoming sprint run and current Shamans.
The Straight Spine Sprint is awesome
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The backlock models have that strong bias to stay closed, so if your state also has a Woodrow Wilson for “gravity knives” the entire Endura family (delica, Endela, stretch, endura) would be a great choice. There are other dressier knives (chaparral, native etc) also. Finally, the UKPK is a slip joint in a great size.

What is your actual environment (not political :mad:)? Arid or humid? Is there significant salt water in your life? Salt series might make sense for you.

Basically, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a fantastic Spyderco.
Holocene Extinction

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm
My concern with the manix 2 is that switch in the handle.

At first I thought it was some form of assisted opening, but further research tells me it’s part of some locking medicine?

Can the knife be flung open by that switch or just disengaged?

Laws here have a lot of interpretation and bullscrap
Holocene Extinction

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm

My concern with the manix 2 is that switch in the handle.

At first I thought it was some form of assisted opening, but further research tells me it’s part of some locking mechanism?

Can the knife be flung open by that switch or just disengaged?

Laws here have a lot of interpretation and bullscrap
Holocene Extinction

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm
The backlock models have that strong bias to stay closed, so if your state also has a Woodrow Wilson for “gravity knives” the entire Endura family (delica, Endela, stretch, endura) would be a great choice. There are other dressier knives (chaparral, native etc) also. Finally, the UKPK is a slip joint in a great size.

What is your actual environment (not political :mad:)? Arid or humid? Is there significant salt water in your life? Salt series might make sense for you.

Basically, you can’t swing a dead cat without hitting a fantastic Spyderco.

No issue with gravity knives ironically at the moment, just “ dangerous “ knives

So far I’m looking at a few inquiring manix 2, shaman, bombshell, etc