Rock Jumper Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
pantagana23
Member
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:52 am
Location: Croatia

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby pantagana23 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 am

Hope it's a modified wharncliffe, Kapara-alike.

I have high expectations, finally a full blade usable folder with backlock.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:43 am

So glad to hear of a new linered model! Can't wait to catch a glimpse of it!
Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:20 pm
I really hope this turns out to be the back lock Caribbean we talked about in another thread. I'm super excited. Please have FFG and a SE version.
Stop it! You're causing me to lose sleep, lol.
(Had to rewrite what I originally wrote...)

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:22 am

Forgot to list in my previous post: Serrated VG10 ! Added to all the great other features... this will be such a perfect design I think...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4530
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby TomAiello » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 am

I'd love to see this one.

As a professional "rock jumper" I think I pretty much have to buy it, just for the name. :)

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5364
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby The Mastiff » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:43 am

This one has got the boxes checked for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Joe

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Tucson Tom » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:23 pm
Oh, my.

Sal, we can hang out, have drinks, take the girls out to dinner, but let's just agree to never climb together. Simon Yates cut a rope once. Justified or not, the dude nearly killed his friend and became a pariah. The emotional scars were deep and long lasting. Today, we may joke about climbing with a "rope knife," but really, making such a comment is dark and inappropriate in polite company.

I'm curious to see the new knife, but the notion of a rope-cutting knife for climbers does not create cheery imagery in my mind. Maybe the Spyderco Marketing Team can come up with uses for the new knife that do not have such gruesome implications.

Since hardly anyone will know what I'm talking about, just pick up a copy of Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. You don't have to be a climber to appreciate it. Outdoors types who find themselves in grueling or hazardous situations from time to time will be able to relate. And the book isn't too long, so you can finish it in a couple days.
I was going to hold my peace, but reading your comments indicate to me that I am not the only person with these thoughts.

I am a climber, and it is a general rule that I won't even climb with someone who carries a knife.

Leave that thing at home. At all costs keep your knife away from my ropes and gear.

In all my years climbing I have never felt the need or even the itch for a knife. It is more of a liability than an asset. Well, the only place I might have felt an itch is coming upon a tangle of slings at some rappel anchor that I want to remove. In this case patience will do the job and a knife would just save a few seconds rather than be a necessity.

I am holding back on one story about a fellow I once climbed with who thought a knife was an essential. I'll just say that I had deep concerns that ended up being entirely justified.

I am afraid I am going to boycott this model.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 am

You guy's can climb the way you want, we'll climb how we want.

Don't turn this thread into a preachfest!

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13648
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby sal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 am

Hi Tom, Rusty Iron,

Interesting perspective. Thanx for the information. I would be curious if all climbers thought that a knife was a problem when climbing? It was my understanding that a knife was a tool to be used to separate matter when it was the only solution or the best solution.

sal

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 am

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 am
Hi Tom, Rusty Iron,

Interesting perspective. Thanx for the information. I would be curious if all climbers thought that a knife was a problem when climbing? It was my understanding that a knife was a tool to be used to separate matter when it was the only solution or the best solution.

sal
Hi Sal,

and sorry Tom and Rusty Iron, but I totally have to disagree!!

I´ve been a climber and general mountaineer for more than 30 years now, a knife definitely IS a very important, though seldom actually used piece of gear and Sal imho is VERY right!

I won´t even list all scenarios where it can be usefull or even life saving, so just a few examples:

- Having to rappel / abseil in an an emergency or even if you just don´t find good fixation points / placements (for nuts/friends...) for the rope your rapelling with: In that case you might have to cut some meters off of your rope or other cordage, in order to improvise "points" where you can thread the rope through in order to rappel on it (for example you can lay knotted loops of rope around rockheads, or thread it through double holes in the wall and than thread the main rope through this loops)

- Making anchors while climbing up: Same as abvove: If it is not an already boltet route, you always have to improvise in order to create anchors, cutting pieces of longer cordage might be necessary for that

- Rope gets damaged bv rockfall: You can cut off the shorter part, and still use the longer, intact part

- It MIGHT even be a good thing to literally cut off your climbing partner (or he cuts himself off )(though just in VERY rare situations): Lets say you´re high up the wall, hanging in a very bad anchor that´s likely to break, and your buddy is literally hangig ON you 50 meters below through the rope that connects you . And he is just hangig 3 meters over soft snow, but if YOUR anchor breaks and his weight pulls you down you´d fall like 50 meters: If you can communicate, OF COURSE he most likely will cut himself off (if he is literally hanging, he won´t be able to untie the knot).

- I sometimes even use my Delica CE (always on my harness) for cutting food while "lunchbreaks" in the midst of a wall, to scrape resin of mountain pines from my hands, and so on...
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am
RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:23 pm
I was going to hold my peace, but reading your comments indicate to me that I am not the only person with these thoughts.

I am a climber, and it is a general rule that I won't even climb with someone who carries a knife.

Leave that thing at home. At all costs keep your knife away from my ropes and gear.

In all my years climbing I have never felt the need or even the itch for a knife. It is more of a liability than an asset. Well, the only place I might have felt an itch is coming upon a tangle of slings at some rappel anchor that I want to remove. In this case patience will do the job and a knife would just save a few seconds rather than be a necessity.

I am holding back on one story about a fellow I once climbed with who thought a knife was an essential. I'll just say that I had deep concerns that ended up being entirely justified.

I am afraid I am going to boycott this model.

Tom, fellow climber, see also my post above (reply to Sal).

I assume there just might be differences between the American and European (Austrian) climbing community bringing a knife while cimbing?
I honestly find it a rather responsible and reasonable move if someone does so... My Delica CE is always on my climbing harness, at least on multi-pitch routes.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

The Meat man
Member
Posts: 4090
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:01 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby The Meat man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:35 am

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am
I was going to hold my peace, but reading your comments indicate to me that I am not the only person with these thoughts.

I am a climber, and it is a general rule that I won't even climb with someone who carries a knife.

Leave that thing at home. At all costs keep your knife away from my ropes and gear.

In all my years climbing I have never felt the need or even the itch for a knife. It is more of a liability than an asset. Well, the only place I might have felt an itch is coming upon a tangle of slings at some rappel anchor that I want to remove. In this case patience will do the job and a knife would just save a few seconds rather than be a necessity.

I am holding back on one story about a fellow I once climbed with who thought a knife was an essential. I'll just say that I had deep concerns that ended up being entirely justified.

I am afraid I am going to boycott this model.
I'm not a climber but this confuses me. Are you guys saying that the ONLY reason you'd ever want to use a knife while climbing would be to cut your buddy free? That there are literally NO other valid uses for one?? :confused: :confused:

Frankly I'm surprised to see this attitude on this forum. :confused:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 am

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:35 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am
I was going to hold my peace, but reading your comments indicate to me that I am not the only person with these thoughts.

I am a climber, and it is a general rule that I won't even climb with someone who carries a knife.

Leave that thing at home. At all costs keep your knife away from my ropes and gear.

In all my years climbing I have never felt the need or even the itch for a knife. It is more of a liability than an asset. Well, the only place I might have felt an itch is coming upon a tangle of slings at some rappel anchor that I want to remove. In this case patience will do the job and a knife would just save a few seconds rather than be a necessity.

I am holding back on one story about a fellow I once climbed with who thought a knife was an essential. I'll just say that I had deep concerns that ended up being entirely justified.

I am afraid I am going to boycott this model.
I'm not a climber but this confuses me. Are you guys saying that the ONLY reason you'd ever want to use a knife while climbing would be to cut your buddy free? That there are literally NO other valid uses for one?? :confused: :confused:

Frankly I'm surprised to see this attitude on this forum. :confused:

Connor, I am climber and mountaineer for many, many years and honestly I also don´t understand what my fellow climbers and forum members are saying (no offense meant!) and ALWAYS bring a Delica CE when climbing, and most of my buddies carry a knife too when climbing (and most of them DON`T in every day life...)

For details see my post two above yours (viewtopic.php?p=1398814#p1398811)

Might be just a "cultural difference" between the Euro and American climbing communties?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5364
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby The Mastiff » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am

If I was contemplating climbing or any other activity with a person who couldn't be trusted to know when and how to use a knife properly I'd decline to go. If I was likewise going out with a group who didn't trust me with a knife for sure I'd refuse to go even to the store or out to dinner with such people.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 am

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:53 am
Hi Tom, Rusty Iron,

Interesting perspective. Thanx for the information. I would be curious if all climbers thought that a knife was a problem when climbing? It was my understanding that a knife was a tool to be used to separate matter when it was the only solution or the best solution.
Tucson Tom wrote:
RustyIron wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:23 pm
Oh, my.

Sal, we can hang out, have drinks, take the girls out to dinner, but let's just agree to never climb together....
I was going to hold my peace, but reading your comments indicate to me that I am not the only person with these thoughts.

I am a climber, and it is a general rule that I won't even climb with someone who carries a knife
I just wanted to add to my posts above:

I more or actually like feel that there is a NEED for a specialized Spyderco rock climbing knife, and even a need to encourage people to BRING knives at least to remote, multi pitch "wild" climbs (reasons see my list in a post above viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85940&p=1398821#p1398811, and I could make it a LOT longer...)
- and I think the "Rock Jumper" most likely will be perfect in that role...

Not offense meant (!), fellow climbers, but honestly I am a bit stunned by your arguments:
Actually you´re arguing very much like people who are FOR strict knife laws: There are a lot of usefull or even life-saving applications for knives (and MUCH MORE so in in a wild climb than in everyday life!) but STILL we can´t trust people (or here: Our CLIMBING BUDDIES!) to NOT do bad things with a knife, and so they shall not carry one in the first place... :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
PeaceInOurTime
Member
Posts: 795
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:37 am

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby PeaceInOurTime » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:32 am

I've been considering a wharncliffe Endura/Delica, but I think I'll hold off and see how this turns out :)
+ I'm currently participating in a serrated edge only challenge for 2020: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85560
+ "Wouldn't it be tight if everyone was chill to each other?" -Gryzzl (Parks and Recreation)

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am

I mean all the offense. If you are too ignorant to safely carry a knife while climbing, YOU SHOULDN'T BE CLIMBING!

Just because some idiot drops his buddy off a cliff, that's no reason to ban knives from climbing and cry about someone making a knife for climbing.

Get smart, people!
The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am
If I was contemplating climbing or any other activity with a person who couldn't be trusted to know when and how to use a knife properly I'd decline to go. If I was likewise going out with a group who didn't trust me with a knife for sure I'd refuse to go even to the store or out to dinner with such people.
This! Perfect example of not being a bumbling moron.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 pm

Sal, may I ask: Will the Rock Jumper come out in BLACK FRN at first like all Seki FRN knives?

I like black FRN, but for a dedicated outdoors / rock climbing knife I'd think a brighter color would be the better choice...?!
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 6681
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Wartstein » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am
I mean all the offense. If you are too ignorant to safely carry a knife while climbing, YOU SHOULDN'T BE CLIMBING!

Just because some idiot drops his buddy off a cliff, that's no reason to ban knives from climbing and cry about someone making a knife for climbing.

Get smart, people!
The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am
If I was contemplating climbing or any other activity with a person who couldn't be trusted to know when and how to use a knife properly I'd decline to go. If I was likewise going out with a group who didn't trust me with a knife for sure I'd refuse to go even to the store or out to dinner with such people.
This! Perfect example of not being a bumbling moron.

Come on, man! I am with you in the matter (knives ARE important or even life saving equipment in climbing), but NOT in tone!

These guys might be " socialized" in different ways and different climbing communities or actually have bad experiences concerning knives in climbing scenarios.

Just because I disagree, and would never go on a wilder climb wirhout a knife, I think we should respect differing opinions.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 am
I mean all the offense. If you are too ignorant to safely carry a knife while climbing, YOU SHOULDN'T BE CLIMBING!

Just because some idiot drops his buddy off a cliff, that's no reason to ban knives from climbing and cry about someone making a knife for climbing.

Get smart, people!
The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 am
If I was contemplating climbing or any other activity with a person who couldn't be trusted to know when and how to use a knife properly I'd decline to go. If I was likewise going out with a group who didn't trust me with a knife for sure I'd refuse to go even to the store or out to dinner with such people.
This! Perfect example of not being a bumbling moron.

Come on, man! I am with you in the matter (knives ARE important or even life saving equipment in climbing), but NOT in tone!

These guys might be " socialized" in different ways and different climbing communities or actually have bad experiences concerning knives in climbing scenarios.

Just because I disagree, and would never go on a wilder climb wirhout a knife, I think we should respect differing opinions.
Not when the advice being given is dangerous. This is not an issue of disagreement. It is an issue of people spreading potentially harmful information. It's WRONG.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13648
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Rock Jumper Thread

Postby sal » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi all,

Chill. It's a discussion. disagreement needs to be civil or we can't have one. All points of view are welcome and that's how we all learn. No need for name calling. Both knives and climbing are hobbies to enjoy.

sal


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: erikols, jdw, legOFwhat?, pittalas, RadioactiveSpyder, Spydergirl88, ugaarguy, WireEdge Roger, zozo and 35 guests