The Pac Salt needs a Military handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Re: The Pac Salt needs a Military handle

Post by pantagana23 »

I hope it comes in BD1 if it's a Byrd, and in SPY27 if Spyderco. For starters :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ugaarguy,

It is a Spyderco. It was originally designed to serve a few functions. It's sized for the: climber / rock jumper/ outdoor folding knife. Not too big, not too small. I used a Warncliffe blade shape so that the tip has as much force in cutting rope as the heel of the blade. Cutting rope quickly can be an issue where rope is used, especially strong rope like in climbing. This is a concept that Mike Janich has popularized in the past 10 years or so. While Mike's approach is for Martial Blade Craft, the concept also works on Sheepsfoot styles like Rescue knives which keep the rope from "rolling" off of a curved blade.

The liner is highly skeletonized to keep weight down which is important in any type of climbing but I wanted to include a liner for rigidity if used hard.

I used a lock-back to maximize self close. In climbing and a very quick descent could conceivable cause an inertia opening and I didn't want to take that chance and I think that, at this time., lock-backs offer the most secure self cloe.

I went straight to FRN as making a G-10 run in Seki gets very expensive and the high cost hurts sales which hinders my research on a new design concept.

The design brings the handle right to the cutting edge which is important on quick emergency cutting of rope. Kicks, sharpening choils and finger choils can snag on a rope and time is lost if it is an emergency cut. This is an experiment with this design as it is difficult to do with a lock-back.

Hope that answers your questions.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:09 pm
Hi Ugaarguy,

It is a Spyderco. It was originally designed to serve a few functions. It's sized for the: climber / rock jumper/ outdoor folding knife. Not too big, not too small. I used a Warncliffe blade shape so that the tip has as much force in cutting rope as the heel of the blade. Cutting rope quickly can be an issue where rope is used, especially strong rope like in climbing. This is a concept that Mike Janich has popularized in the past 10 years or so. While Mike's approach is for Martial Blade Craft, the concept also works on Sheepsfoot styles like Rescue knives which keep the rope from "rolling" off of a curved blade.

The liner is highly skeletonized to keep weight down which is important in any type of climbing but I wanted to include a liner for rigidity if used hard.

I used a lock-back to maximize self close. In climbing and a very quick descent could conceivable cause an inertia opening and I didn't want to take that chance and I think that, at this time., lock-backs offer the most secure self cloe.

I went straight to FRN as making a G-10 run in Seki gets very expensive and the high cost hurts sales which hinders my research on a new design concept.

The design brings the handle right to the cutting edge which is important on quick emergency cutting of rope. Kicks, sharpening choils and finger choils can snag on a rope and time is lost if it is an emergency cut. This is an experiment with this design as it is difficult to do with a lock-back.

Hope that answers your questions.

sal

My heart is honestly racing after reading that, it sounds like you pulled the idea straight out of my imagination. I have VERY high hopes for this knife.

Salt versions? FFG?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I've started a Rock Jumper thread here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85940 - so we don't clutter up this thread and a few others where's it's been mentioned as a side note.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Cool, Sal. How long is the blade? Salt? Grind?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am
On the Endela, I softened the "Points" to accommodate those that were complaining. On the Stretch 2, I just used a swell with no points. the Endura 4 still outsells both combined, though it's still early in the cycle.

The Straight spine stretch had the swell (no points ) and the finger choil and it sold out quickly, but it was made as a sprint which, in my opinion, affected the experiment. The "Rock Jumper" uses the "swell" instead of the "points" and should be out soon. I'm also working of a 4.0" blade Stretch 2 with a straight spine.

sal
Could the slower Endela sales relative to the Endura be for another reason than the new handle shape?

I hope the Straight Spine Stretch will return in OD green or other earth tones. My motorcycle accident slowed down my knife buying last year so I really want to see a return.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 pm
The PAC Salt and Endura need the same handle shape as the Military. There would be no more complaints about the points and it would be stable under hard use.

What do y’all think?
I love this idea, but Im out if its a liner lock. Back lock would be my preference.
Justin
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:07 pm
I hope the Straight Spine Stretch will return in OD green or other earth tones. My motorcycle accident slowed down my knife buying last year so I really want to see a return.
While I too would love to see more colors for the Straight Spine Stretch, I'd like to point out that the Ivory scales do really well with RIT dye.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

crazywednesday wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:50 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 pm
The PAC Salt and Endura need the same handle shape as the Military. There would be no more complaints about the points and it would be stable under hard use.

What do y’all think?
I love this idea, but Im out if its a liner lock. Back lock would be my preference.
ONLY a backlock.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
While I too would love to see more colors for the Straight Spine Stretch, I'd like to point out that the Ivory scales do really well with RIT dye.
Yes, I’m sure. But I don’t have the time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:48 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Yes, I’m sure. But I don’t have the time.
I've heard you don't need to disassemble it to achieve good results, which would cut your time down to about 15 minutes. But I'm also all-for more OD green and other earth tones coming straight from the factory.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.