assembly of the autonomy 2

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco. READ RULES PRIOR TO POSTING!
Knightwolf71
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm

assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby Knightwolf71 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 pm

I have had my autonomy 2 for a little over a year and had decided it was time for a deep clean. It came apart easy enough and I know how to reassemble it but with my sausage size fingers, the spring just comes undone and throws things everywhere. is there a trick to this. maybe a video link out there that could help me? Thanks

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13463
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: assimbly of the autonomy 2

Postby sal » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi Knightwolf,

Welcome to our forum.

We use special fixture to assemble the unit.

sal

User avatar
Larry_Mott
Member
Posts: 2279
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden

Re: assimbly of the autonomy 2

Postby Larry_Mott » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Reassembling isn't easy even with the little tool that comes in the spring kit. I have done two, and especially one of them was very stubborn. I wouldn't disassemble one unless it was broken.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott R.I.P.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 21872
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: assimbly of the autonomy 2

Postby Evil D » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Yeah I took mine apart because curiosity got the best of me. It's been over a year or I'd try to help explain putting it back together. I didn't have the tool either.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Knightwolf71
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Re: assimbly of the autonomy 2

Postby Knightwolf71 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am

well, it was worth a try. thanks anyways i will just keep fighting with it

VashHash
Member
Posts: 3837
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby VashHash » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 am

I broke my spring yesterday and it took maybe 5 minutes to change out. When you put the spring in it is not tensioned. Then you use that little key to torque it back and put the screw in. Of course if you don't have that special key I could see this being difficult. The instructions are pretty clear and include pictures. The spring kits are fairly priced for what you get in them. I didn't tear the whole knife down though. Just replaced the coil spring.

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby Enactive » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:13 pm

VashHash wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 am
I broke my spring yesterday and it took maybe 5 minutes to change out. When you put the spring in it is not tensioned. Then you use that little key to torque it back and put the screw in. Of course if you don't have that special key I could see this being difficult. The instructions are pretty clear and include pictures. The spring kits are fairly priced for what you get in them. I didn't tear the whole knife down though. Just replaced the coil spring.
Do you know, could you tell how the spring failed?

VashHash
Member
Posts: 3837
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby VashHash » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:05 pm

It snapped somewhere in the coils. But I did open and close it a lot just for fun. It's also been in Salt water but I didn't see corrosion or anything. I'll have to look at it more closely when I get home.

I've broken a protech spring before too. Of course I had over tightened the pivot and also opened and closed that one a lot.

I purchased the spring repair kits as soon as i bought the knife. Also I purchased it used but not sure how many times they cycled it.

Either way I knew the spring wouldn't last forever. Kinda wish I had counted how many times I cycled it but it was definitely hundreds of times. Still have 3 more springs.

Rinzler
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am

Re: assimbly of the autonomy 2

Postby Rinzler » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Knightwolf71 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am
well, it was worth a try. thanks anyways i will just keep fighting with it
Do you have the spring kit?

User avatar
bearrowland
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby bearrowland » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am

Vash, what sort of maintenance do you perform on yours mechanism wise?
Barry
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

VashHash
Member
Posts: 3837
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:49 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby VashHash » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:46 pm

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am
Vash, what sort of maintenance do you perform on yours mechanism wise?
I blow it out every now and then with compressed air. I usually oil the pivot area and I oil the spring through the holes through the module.

User avatar
bearrowland
Member
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby bearrowland » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks Vash!
Barry
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1119
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Postby Enactive » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:00 pm

VashHash wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:05 pm
It snapped somewhere in the coils. But I did open and close it a lot just for fun. It's also been in Salt water but I didn't see corrosion or anything. I'll have to look at it more closely when I get home.

I've broken a protech spring before too. Of course I had over tightened the pivot and also opened and closed that one a lot.

I purchased the spring repair kits as soon as i bought the knife. Also I purchased it used but not sure how many times they cycled it.

Either way I knew the spring wouldn't last forever. Kinda wish I had counted how many times I cycled it but it was definitely hundreds of times. Still have 3 more springs.
Thanks.


Return to “Spyderco Restricted Models Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests