The Pac Salt needs a Military handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

The Pac Salt needs a Military handle

Post by Doc Dan »

The PAC Salt and Endura need the same handle shape as the Military. There would be no more complaints about the points and it would be stable under hard use.

What do y’all think?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Re: The Pac Salt needs a Military handle

Post by kennethsime »

I love the Military family. Choils all the way!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I would be fine if the endura family just lost the points.

I would also like for there to be a non choil golden lockback with a thumb ramp. Like a military, a native chief, and a siren all got mixed together.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:31 pm
The PAC Salt and Endura need the same handle shape as the Military. There would be no more complaints about the points and it would be stable under hard use.

What do y’all think?
I personally love the Endura 4 handle and ergos (also over the E3 / Pac Salt 1 handle) and it IS stable for me in hard use.
But I am aware of, that while most people really like the Millie handle, there are kind of two camps when it comes to the Endura 4 (again, I am in the "it´s perfect" camp).

So, I kind of see the point here.

But, what I would really NOT like to see:

1.) NOT: The Endura / Pac Salt becoming yet ANOTHER knife with a choil (don´t get me wrong, the Millie choil is great, but the Endura is the perfect large folder "NO choil option": Hand being closer to the edge in a regular grip, Ricasso still perfect (and for me more stable than a choil) for choking up

2.) NOT: The "hook" at the end of the Millie handle. This feature in itself is fine, but it lengthens the handle without giving the blade more length ("wasted space inside the handle"). The Endura should not get any longer, but stay a rather compact, pocketfriendly, long bladed option imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Doc Dan wrote:

What do y’all think?
A LC200N Military would be better imho. Orange or red handle and I'd grab one for sailing to replace my Pac Salts :D
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The Endura3 style handle of the original Pac Salt is perfect for me. I own 6 of those and the 7th is coming so I'm quite covered so to speak.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I am with Warstein and Elena on this subject.
I don't have E4, only the Pac Salt with E3 handle, but I like it. It has some grooves, your index finger is quite close the the edge even without choil, it's good as is.
And another thing, it's quite slim, unlike the Military handle.

There are lot of knives in Spyderco portfolio, I think you can choose whatever you want or need, there is no reason to be make them all looks the same.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think that the Stretch handle and the Atlantic Salt handles are much better then the Endura/Pacific Salt handles.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bearfacedkiller wrote: I think that the Stretch handle and the Atlantic Salt handles are much better then the Endura/Pacific Salt handles.
Agree!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Sorry Doc, this ones a little too farfetched for me. For a few reasons, but primarily I've never had problems with the points on the Endura 4 handle. :spyder:
NoFair wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:

What do y’all think?
A LC200N Military would be better imho. Orange or red handle and I'd grab one for sailing to replace my Pac Salts :D
I agree that a request for a Military in the salt lineup would be much more reasonable.
-Nick :bug-red
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

NoFair wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:

What do y’all think?
There ya go. Salt military. Could call it the Navy.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I used to think the same about the Endura. Then the Endela and the P4 LW came out. I haven't used the Endela, but the handle looks to be more comfortable. The P4 LW is amazing in terms of ergos. With these two additions to the Seki family, I am not sure the Endura needs to change. You can find something really close to (or perhaps even better than) the Endura. Right now, there is pretty much something for everyone. If ever the day comes when Spyderco has to cut some models for financial reasons, then I'd discuss changing the Endura.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just make a Military in H1

Sorted.....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

In use, I never ever noticed that the grooves and points don't line up with my fingers (they don't) until someone mentioned it on this forum. They still don't bother me. I think some people focus on it too much. Interesting side note - when I use my Delica wharnie at work every day, they don't line up either, but when I actually cut stuff and choke back on the handle, as I do when slicing, the handle fits perfectly.
- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:15 am
Just make a Military in H1

Sorted.....

Better yet, in LC ....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be ok if the handle was shaped like the Caribbean. According to Sal more people like the handle points than not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

BOOMER52 a member of this forum, made some Militaryesque scales for the Endura that were dimensionally the same as the Endura scales. They looked great. So, pondering that and how I love the FRN with BDT I thought it would be a problem solved sort of thing...and no choil.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

On the Endela, I softened the "Points" to accommodate those that were complaining. On the Stretch 2, I just used a swell with no points. the Endura 4 still outsells both combined, though it's still early in the cycle.

The Straight spine stretch had the swell (no points ) and the finger choil and it sold out quickly, but it was made as a sprint which, in my opinion, affected the experiment. The "Rock Jumper" uses the "swell" instead of the "points" and should be out soon. I'm also working of a 4.0" blade Stretch 2 with a straight spine.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Palm swell designs like the Caribbean and Lil Temp 3 make a lot more sense to me. They feel great in your hand and accommodate more hand/finger sizes and don't force you into a certain grip. With the Endura 3 handle (Spyderhawk) I can get my hand in a place where my fingers aren't directly on the points but doing so puts my grip way back away from the front of the grip which I really don't like, especially on a knife that already has a ricasso/kick that distances my grip from the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:38 am
On the Endela, I softened the "Points" to accommodate those that were complaining. On the Stretch 2, I just used a swell with no points. the Endura 4 still outsells both combined, though it's still early in the cycle.

The Straight spine stretch had the swell (no points ) and the finger choil and it sold out quickly, but it was made as a sprint which, in my opinion, affected the experiment. The "Rock Jumper" uses the "swell" instead of the "points" and should be out soon. I'm also working of a 4.0" blade Stretch 2 with a straight spine.

sal
Will the Rock Jumper be a Spyderco or a Byrd? What else can you tell us about it?