Siren v/s Spydiechef

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gdwtvb

Siren v/s Spydiechef

Post by gdwtvb »

First the background. I have been trying to do a better job at embracing minimalism. In fact the majority of my knives have gotten sold over the past year; I am almost down to just users now. (Less than a dozen pocketknives.) I have XXL hands.

My primary EDC blade is the Chaparral Ti stealth model which won't be going anywhere.

I'm wanting to add another knife that can double as a larger EDC option as well as give me the benefits of super rust resistance for when I'm at the lake. I've narrowed it down to the Siren or the Spydiechef. I remove clips and carry loose in pocket with a fob. Happily both models feature a lanyard hole. I am not weight sensitive, and surprisingly both knives are nearly the same weight. I generally gravitate towards Ti scales, but the siren calls to me with the exquisite shape and beautiful blue liner accents.

Other than the universal forum advice of 'buy both' does anyone have any thoughts.

Yes, I am aware that the Siren isn't available yet.

Grizz
Enactive

Re: Siren v/s Spydiechef

Post by Enactive »

If you wanna carry loose in your pocket, I'd gravitate towards a backlock knife. I love my SpydieChef, but the detent is relatively weak and the blade can be shaken open easier than I'd like. So, maybe Siren?

The Chef could feel small in XXL hands, although you're used to a Chap, so ?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Siren is grippier than the Spydiechef. The blade shape and guard of the siren lend better to fishing tasks (you said you would be at a lake). Siren has a backlock, won't have to worry about the knife opening in your pocket like the RIL of the Chef. My 2 cents.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Never had a SpydieChef and obviously also not a Siren. So my points are just theoretically, not based on experience with either knife

Generally, but especially as a general EDC option besides the Chap I´d take the Siren without any doubt.

I clearly prefer the backlock (not necessarely only because it is safer in pocket), and just from looking at the Spydiechef I´d think it´s rather positive blade angle is not what I´d personally want in a general EDC (EDIT: But the positive angle sure is beneficial when cutting on a cutting board!)

Grippier handle, safer grip due to that and also the guard and a bit more usable edge are additional benefits of the Siren over the Spydiechef for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Why not the Caribbean?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:09 pm
Why not the Caribbean?
Right.
Or a Pac Salt?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't considered that the detent on the spydiechef might cause opening in pocket. I never had that problem with my recently sold Sage 2, Farid K2, or Spyderco Tusk. Does the Spydiechef suffer a weaker than average detent? My long experience with the Tusk has made me appreciate the LC200N blade material.

Ric. I've never owned a compression lock. (Heresy maybe?) I've tried a couple Spyderco models with them at the knife store and didn't find them as easy to manipulate as RIL or backlocks which are both second nature to me. Also my ladybug salt in yellow looks pretty grimy/dirty after years of keychain duty in a warehouse, the black/yellow color combo isn't my favorite.

Grizz
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

gdwtvb wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:34 pm
Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't considered that the detent on the spydiechef might cause opening in pocket. I never had that problem with my recently sold Sage 2, Farid K2, or Spyderco Tusk. Does the Spydiechef suffer a weaker than average detent? My long experience with the Tusk has made me appreciate the LC200N blade material.

Ric. I've never owned a compression lock. (Heresy maybe?) I've tried a couple Spyderco models with them at the knife store and didn't find them as easy to manipulate as RIL or backlocks which are both second nature to me. Also my ladybug salt in yellow looks pretty grimy/dirty after years of keychain duty in a warehouse, the black/yellow color combo isn't my favorite.

Grizz

In THAT case I´d recommend the Siren even more!

I think that one of the clear DISadvantages of the backlock is, that almost eyeryone finds it harder to operate one handed in the beginning and it certainly takes (a lot) more practice than a linerlock or especially a comp. lock till it gets "natural".

BUT: IF one already feels that the backlock is "second nature" as you say (and for me it is too), I think it´s the way to go, especially if you want to carry the knife unclipped in the pocket.
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I definitely recommend experiencing a compression lock.
You have to use it to see if you like or not.

Honestly, I would not buy a LC200N folder at the moment.
Maybe a Siren (guard looks too big to me) or the Native (too small for you).
I bought the Waterway, but it gets not much use.

I would wait for reveal 5/6 if there is a nice LC200N folder.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ric wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:09 pm
Why not the Caribbean?
This is the answer, always.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

I love my chef. It's an absolutely fantastic knife.
But i think i must agree with everyone if you're going without a clip. Backlocks are better if you're going that route. Honestly i might even recommend going with a Pacific salt SE if you can find one and can't wait
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like the blade shape better on the Siren
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

My size XL hands are just a little bit cramped on my SpydieChef, but I can comfortably use a Chap, Sage, or Native 5. I like the idea of the Siren, but I'm worried that the guard sitting so far back on the handle is going to make the grip a bit too small like on my 'Chef. I'd deal with the yellow handle getting grimy (or just dye it) and get a Native 5 Salt.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Im also going to say siren but I cant be sure until I get one in hand. For what its worth the chef is a very good overall design. But Goldens backlocks are on another level and the siren will be a larger folder as well. Should be a good knife.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200208-010151.png
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

ugaarguy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:20 pm
My size XL hands are just a little bit cramped on my SpydieChef, but I can comfortably use a Chap, Sage, or Native 5. I like the idea of the Siren, but I'm worried that the guard sitting so far back on the handle is going to make the grip a bit too small like on my 'Chef.
Me too. Exactly. I didn’t keep the Spydiechef as a consequence.

The (fixed) Waterway is a great fit, however.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

gdwtvb wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:05 pm
....I'm wanting to add another knife that can double as a larger EDC option as well as give me the benefits of super rust resistance for when I'm at the lake....
Hi Grizz,
I have to admit up front, I'm biased. That said, what you're looking for matches Lance's design intentions for the Siren really well. It's specifically intended to be that larger EDC that's corrosion free and perfect for taking to the lake (or ocean). The added security of the auto-close function of a lockback design is perfect for carrying loose in a pocket. Additionally the handle design is roomy to begin with, plus the shape of rear of the handle allows for more hand positions and never feels "cramped". I know first hand, because I spent months holding prototypes while I was making them.

All that said, the two knives you're considering are different in quite a few ways. Among other things, they're very different handle materials and they will feel very different from each other in the hand. IMO all the practical reasons point to the Siren, but after decades of buying knives the best advice I can give you is go with your gut. If your gut is calling you to one or the other...ignore your brain and go with your gut...you'll be happy with your choice. :)

Best regards,
Chad
Last edited by Xplorer on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The design of the Spydiechef never appealed to me and a I also wished it was bigger.

The Siren looks brilliant and is a must have for me. I have high expectations for it and I think I will be pleased.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My excitement for the Siren is slightly diminished by the big finger guard. The same has been true of the Waterway for me. I did come very close to buying a Waterway a couple of times.

I totally see why the guard is there, and for the application why Lance designed it that way.

I've learned that i don't mostly need or care for fingerguards on knives. I think this comes from decades of using Mora knives so much.

I may get a Waterway and/ or a Siren anyhow, and maybe I'll even start fishing again! They are both very nice designs and I love my LC200N. :spyder: :cool:

Back on topic, I think Chad offers good advice to follow your gut here.

Clinton and Slysz are both outstanding designers!

Also very cool that Chad made prototype(s) for Lance and Spyderco! :D
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I always appreciate the advice and tone on the Spyderco forums! Thanks.

I'll be getting a Siren.

Thanks again.

Grizz
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

gdwtvb wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:29 pm
I always appreciate the advice and tone on the Spyderco forums! Thanks.

I'll be getting a Siren.

Thanks again.

Grizz
Great choice! I think I might get one too when they drop.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"