Me New Motto Mates!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Me New Motto Mates!

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:05 am
At least you can be secure in the fact that we do try to solve problems and please as many as possible.

sal
Of this I am confident!
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

sal wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:08 pm
Hi Knife_bro,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the kind words.

sal
Thank you for having help run such an amazing community and knife company!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I'm just not seeing eye to eye with this entitlement mentality.

I am not entitled to have an easy opportunity to buy anything.

We as buyers have our own point of view, but I am pretty sure things look a lot different for someone commissioning an exclusive of 1000 knives -- that is a lot of money to lay down and a risk to accept. The same for Spyderco. They take a risk and tie up a bunch of money in mules that are sitting on the shelf -- but they are promising to make more, which is pretty amazing.

As far as "value for collectors" that is all just numbers in the clouds, and nothing anyone should worry about. People like to think their collection is worth a lot, but unless they are actually selling it, all that is just nonsense. Are there people who buy knives as an investment? I certainly hope not. It is "bragging rights" for these people, nothing more.

It is probably fair to say that anyone with more than 2 or 3 knives is a collector. This clearly makes me one. I am sure there are all kinds of collectors. I am probably closer to what someone called an "accumulator". I buy things that I enjoy without trying to assemble a complete set. I don't hesitate to use any of my knives, but most are in like new condition and don't see hard use. I'm not a cowboy or fisherman. None of this makes me better than anyone else.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I find the Bento Box, Knife Joker, etc. etc. threads both highly amusing and somewhat disturbing. The bitchfest and the inflated and delusional sense of entitlement are outright embarrassing and cringeworthy.

There’s so much misery in this world. People are dying of starvation as we type and others don’t have two bob to rattle on a tombstone. People don’t even have a little clean water to drink and we’re crushed and deeply distressed because we couldn’t buy a new knife to fondle.

If you’re so devastated about missing out on a poxy knife go put the money you couldn’t spend in the nearest Poor Box and see if that makes you feel better?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

“If I like it and it is easy and available to purchase I will.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I have decided that some people just do not have a good grasp of the English language and misuse words so now you have forced the dictionary to come out.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitlement

Definition of entitlement
1a : the state or condition of being entitled : RIGHT
b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
2 : belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges
3 : a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group
also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program
M try

No where in this thread have I or any other member met the conditions of entitlement.

What I have said is make it easy to buy or forget about it not going to chase a hobby that is not fun, not going to fight to spend money.

I have also pointed out what I believe to be the way to correct the shortages.

No where once have I even so much as mentioned being upset over having missed a knife, it has not happened and will not as I am no longer going to participate in the rush like crazy with a stumbling server and hope to make a purchase.

The right I claim is the right to choose weather to participate in a financial transaction under agreeable conditions or to walk away from a purchase.

Plain and simple.

The thread is meant to explore these concepts and to further bring to Spyderco’s attention they are loosing business and need to adjust things.

I believe it has served both conditions.

As for the people wanting to pull the forum popularity pile on game to you I say.

Are you ready, hey Bloke count to 3...

I

Have

Spoken 😘
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:48 am
As for the people wanting to pull the forum popularity pile on game to you I say.

Are you ready, hey Bloke count to 3...

I

Have

Spoken 😘
Hey Does, I don’t understand the comment above so I’m confused. Can you help me out?

Either ways, right or wrong, I stand by my post above and would imagine I’m not likely to win any popularity contests for it. It’s quite simply my view on the Sprint and Exclusive business, is all. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Hey bloke,

The " I have Spoken" is from my new favorite T.V. Series and a character I find very humerus because he is gruff, certain about everything and close minded, to me that is hilarious.

When he says what is on his mind he ends it with "I have spoken"

So sorry you missed the humor, Watch the Mandalorian on Disney+

I wanted you to count to 3 for the punch line.

In the meantime here is some context:

https://youtu.be/fnvvwuXe6MU

https://www.inverse.com/article/61012-t ... -baby-yoda
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

To be fair, I've seen the Mandalorian, knew where your reference came from, and still didn't get your joke or what you mean by the "forum popularity pile on game."
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
sal

Post by sal »

Hi all,

This has been an interesting thread and I thank you starting it and discussing the issue. Management is looking into solutions and I believe that our crew will come up with improvements. I think you have "spoken" your point and we have received many good suggestions. Management is aware of this thread as well.

It's not worth an argument.

sal
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Sal has spoken.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am glad i only have a handful left i want and half of those are production or bbs so itl be around.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
popplelopolis

Post by popplelopolis »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 pm
It's a problem for us as well. We have numerous companies wanting exclusives....far more than you currently see. We always encourage them to make larger amounts, but they are afraid of getting stuck with inventory.

Kelly, our Director of Sales and Marketing has been dealing with this issue quite a bit lately. Naturally, we're always open to suggestions. Good ideas are always good ideas.

I'll bring this thread to the attention of sales.

sal
Hey sal,

This is probably an apples to oranges thing to compare to, but Wizards of the Coast, the company who make Magic: The Gathering cards have recently started playing around with a new model of distribution of their specialty products after customers voiced similar thoughts on distribution of the more exotic product.

The new products are called Secret Lairs, and the setup is that they announce they product, and then on a set date, for 24 hours, everyone is able to put in an order for the product. Then after the order, when they have a final count, they print to order. They also have some amount preprinted so that they can ship out right away, and if they didn't sell all of the preprinted product, they then sell the leftovers on their site on a later date.

The big difference I see is the time to print cards vs making a knife is vastly different, but I wonder if the general format could still work, just with longer wait times between 'waves' of product. A knife version of this model could be that for that one day, after all orders are put in, the ones after the current stock amount are essentially 'preorders' for the next wave of said knife.

Obviously there are other factors that I can't begin to guess at, but food for thought.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:24 pm
Hi all,

This has been an interesting thread and I thank you starting it and discussing the issue. Management is looking into solutions and I believe that our crew will come up with improvements. I think you have "spoken" your point and we have received many good suggestions. Management is aware of this thread as well.

It's not worth an argument.

sal
Thanks Sal,

And yes as others have said...

Sal has spoken!

Nothing more needs be said.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Popplelopolis,,

Welcome to our forum.

Interesting concept. As you say, the time difference to produce is very different. I'll give it some thought.

sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Massdrop (Now drop) does something similar with knives but the lead time is quite long. They've produced some pretty cool collaborations in the last few years with ferrum forge, Bob Terzuola and others made by WE, millit or reate. I paid <$100 for a titanium frame lock with g10 overlays in s35vn (ferrum forge/WE gent). Great little flipper particularly for the price.

However, some folks get really annoyed by their model and the long wait. Particularly if there are delays. Can't please all of the people all of the time. I'd be interested if Spyderco tried this way of doing small runs, but I have no idea if it makes business sense or if it's worth trading one kind of annoyed customer for another. :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

One of Spyderco’s strengths is that they try to make something for everybody and they try their best to make as many people happy as possible.

Unfortunately collectors like exclusivity and they like knives appreciating in value. Users do not like either one of those things. It seems like it will be a challenge to make both camps happy.

I kind of wish that there was some kind of club for steel junkies. :) Not sure how that would look.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am
Massdrop (Now drop) does something similar with knives but the lead time is quite long. They've produced some pretty cool collaborations in the last few years with ferrum forge, Bob Terzuola and others made by WE, millit or reate. I paid <$100 for a titanium frame lock with g10 overlays in s35vn (ferrum forge/WE gent). Great little flipper particularly for the price.

However, some folks get really annoyed by their model and the long wait. Particularly if there are delays. Can't please all of the people all of the time. I'd be interested if Spyderco tried this way of doing small runs, but I have no idea if it makes business sense or if it's worth trading one kind of annoyed customer for another. :D
The wait for my SG Endura was quite long ... but I did get it. Unlike many sprint runs.
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Many Magic players are furious with the WOTC secret lairs model for a number of reasons (price and poor card selection being the top 2). No matter what model is used, someone is bound to be unhappy. I trust Sal and Spyderco to do their best to improve the situation.
popplelopolis

Post by popplelopolis »

tbdoc4kids wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:34 pm
Many Magic players are furious with the WOTC secret lairs model for a number of reasons (price and poor card selection being the top 2). No matter what model is used, someone is bound to be unhappy. I trust Sal and Spyderco to do their best to improve the situation.
I completely agree that you can never make everyone happy all the time, but I would say that those top two reasons aren't inherent with the distribution model. The biggest issue I hear people have with the distribution model itself is that it cuts out the really small local gaming shops and hurts them. Either way, I'm with you that Sal and company are doing their best.