Your iwb carry.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Notsurewhy

Re: Your iwb carry.

Post by Notsurewhy »

None for me. Doesn't that chafe?

Obviously carry whatever way makes you happy, but who buys pants/shorts without pockets? Even my gym shorts and pajama pants have pockets.

Side note: I think We've uncovered at least one reason why some people have more corrosion issues than others. If I'm doing something sweaty, it's a lot damper in my waistband than my pocket.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I also carry my orange H1 SE spyderhawk IWB at the beach and when I'm wearing shorts without back pockets.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Only when running and then it's a native, a dragonfly, or a bugout. Back locks have good self close detent and I feel that the axis locks is pretty good too.
/ David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Until Spyderco starts selling boxer shorts, none!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:25 pm
Only when running and then it's a native, a dragonfly, or a bugout. Back locks have good self close detent and I feel that the axis locks is pretty good too.

I hate to say it, cause the Axxis lock is cool and BM sure makes good knives, but be a bit cautious: My Minigrip (axxislock) is the only folder that ever opened in my pocket (twice) so it did cut me. Despite I kept the action/pivot rather tight.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:18 am
None for me. Doesn't that chafe?

Obviously carry whatever way makes you happy, but who buys pants/shorts without pockets? Even my gym shorts and pajama pants have pockets.

Side note: I think We've uncovered at least one reason why some people have more corrosion issues than others. If I'm doing something sweaty, it's a lot damper in my waistband than my pocket.
i keep my main carry in my pocket and have the pacific salt as a backup and a serrated edge. i carry it in the same way while swimming in the ocean or working out, so it's nice for consistency. as i stated before, the contoured edges are nice on the pacific salt and it doesn't bother me at all in my waistband. in fact, the only issue i ever had with my pacific salt in my waistband was while playing sports. it wasn't supposed to be a physical game, but you know how those things go. i ended up getting flipped and landed right on it. you could see the texture of the grip, the outline of the knife, and even the spyderhole in my bruise, but the knife was fine and so was i. it would've been a lot less secure and more dangerous for me and others if it had been in my pocket instead of my waistband.

as far as your side note, that may be true for some, but i know it's not for others. personally, i've never had a knife develop any serious rust on me because i take care of them. however, i've seen plenty of them rust for other people, even in pockets. and my advocacy for more salt knives is because i like the carefree nature of a salt knife. i like that i can use it to cut my kids' food up for them and put it away quickly for safety without worrying about staining it before i can get back to it to clean it. also, i think self-defense knives like the yojimbo and matriarch specifically should be salt knives so they can be carried anywhere on the body worry free. if these steels weren't out there, i'd not give it any thought at all and just happily carry s30v (or even 8cr13mov), but they are out there, so why not?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I've found that the Stretch1 is a great thickness in the waistband
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I IWB most of my knives, unless it's a larger knife.
IWB - Brouwer, Chaparral, Native, and others.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:24 am
5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 pm
I wanna buy?

Inside waistband.

I don’t. I think it’s a crazy way to carry. Real bad if the knife opens somehow.
I'm with Jazz on this one. I never carry IWB. In addition to the safety concern, I just find it uncomfortable. The closest I get to IWB is horizontal carry of a fixed blade just outside the waist band.

If I had to carry IWB I'd want something like a solid lock back in a full salt configuration, to stay closed and resist me sweating all over it.
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well after the shortest failed attempt to live strictly with a Delica, I'm back with old faithful...a Dragonfly in H1 with a serrated edge. I carry the D'fly IWB for a few different reasons like being discreet at work, or while running so it isn't bouncing around attached my shorts pocket. The size of this knife is fine in waistband for me and I have often thought I lost it only to check my pants from the day before and there it is clipped under the belt. This was also a reason why the Delica didn't work for me. Handle was waaaayyy too long for IWB carry. Echoing others, I would ONLY carry a lockback knife this way due to their nature of wanting to stay closed.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I most commonly carry the Pacific Salt IWB for my fishing but my favorite/most comfortable is the Manix LW. Interestingly enough I don’t really care for the way the Manix carries in pocket but the width and the light weight work very well for me IWB. For what it’s worth, I got to carry a Siren prototype IWB for about a month and it rides very comfortably there.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:08 pm
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:30 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
We call that UBF* where I'm from. XD

Getting Bloked always makes my day.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:30 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Please stop!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Sonorum wrote:

I hate to say it, cause the Axxis lock is cool and BM sure makes good knives, but be a bit cautious: My Minigrip (axxislock) is the only folder that ever opened in my pocket (twice) so it did cut me. Despite I kept the action/pivot rather tight.
Yes I can shake the bugout open but not the spyderco backpacks. Ran with the Endela today and that's a bit on the heavy side, heavier and my pants would want to slide down.
/ David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sonorum wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

Yes I can shake the bugout open but not the spyderco backpacks. Ran with the Endela today and that's a bit on the heavy side, heavier and my pants would want to slide down.

The Endela is a light knife in my opinion, but certainly "heavier" than a Native 5 FRN (Endela: 88g / 3.1oz, Native LW: 71 g / 2.5 oz)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:50 am
Sonorum wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sonorum wrote:

The Endela is a light knife in my opinion, but certainly "heavier" than a Native 5 FRN (Endela: 88g / 3.1oz, Native LW: 71 g / 2.5 oz)
Mine too, but not when you're bouncing up and down!
/ David
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

Ronin 1 o’clock position weak side edge forward. But is knife isn’t the only thing I carry 😜
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

Btw, that’s suppose to be an A