TKJ Spyderco exclusive cruwear ????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Foundry81

Re: TKJ Spyderco exclusive cruwear ????

Post by Foundry81 »

I tried picking one of these up on Saturday, I even had one in my cart, But by the time I got to the end of the (somewhat long) checkout, they were all gone. That being said, I hope he takes a chance again on offering another exclusive, and good for him to take a chance on this one.
To me, one of the thing that sets spyderco apart from other companies, is their willingness to do things like this, and to work with companies like the Knife Joker, to offer us unique runs like this.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Lots of these being flipped on eBay! Glad they got into the right hands!! :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm
Lots of these being flipped on eBay! Glad they got into the right hands!! :rolleyes:
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird, so weird :o
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

How are they getting theirs so soon? I was on the second pre-order and my tracking says it still hasn't been received by USPS. :(
attila

Post by attila »

I received mine this morning, and I was in the first preorder.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

attila wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:15 pm
No pics??
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
attila

Post by attila »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:19 pm
attila wrote:
No pics??
Haha haha! My bad. The one pic I have of it is not very interesting, but here you go:

Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
JMM

Post by JMM »

eRoc wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 pm
How are they getting theirs so soon? I was on the second pre-order and my tracking says it still hasn't been received by USPS. :(
FWIW.... Mine seemed stalled when checking the USPS tracking from the 2nd until a couple hours ago, then all the sudden tracking shows it in Portland (OR), so delivered tomorrow or the next day at the latest....

Cheers

JMM
Spectre04

Post by Spectre04 »

*Edit for 2/6/20. Received it today. Like everyone else has said. it's quite the combo. Tracking was wonky, not his fault.

I was on the 1/16 preorder (05:30) and got the shipping notice 2/2. Knowing it doesn’t actually ship on a Sunday, I’ve been checking since Monday afternoon, without a change from pre shipment. Seems like it’s common, albeit frustrating for us impatient folks. Really looking forward to getting my paws on it.
Last edited by Spectre04 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

attila wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:25 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:19 pm
attila wrote:
No pics??
Haha haha! My bad. The one pic I have of it is not very interesting, but here you go:

Thanks! The promo pics are nice on this one, but I like seeing them "in the wild" too. ;) Btw, that's an awesome trio!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

It looks like a very nice knife ... if it is done in PM2, I might have to eat my words and support the ebay ---tards.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 pm
LOL! :rolleyes: Yours for the low, low price of only ~$400... (Roughly a 70% markup from the retail price.) :eek: Puh-lease. :mad:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
jdw

Post by jdw »

It's really hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt when you see a drop unfold the way that this one did. I think that it is short sighted for people to think that all of the frustration is about missing a knife. Nobody wants to feel like the process that they are participating in is rigged or unfair. This one still appears to me, and apparently others, to have been both.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wonder if a high demand exclusive could be done by pre-order lottery? Open up pre-orders, let people put in a small deposit, then draw names for the actual units and refund the other deposits? That would avoid the "do it now!" that crashes servers and makes it impossible to really screen the buyers for duplicates.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I design and create software systems for a living, which appears to be what caused many of the perceived issues in this case. Software for people like me is not difficult but I do not work with a team of fewer than 5 fellow engineers whose rate is $200+/hour. To ensure that a release like this is done well and doesn't implode (a la the "app" written by Shadow, Inc. and used by the DNC in Iowa earlier this week), it costs money. Lots of money, because again, a team of capable engineers with 100+ years of combined experience isn't cheap.

So I have a lot of empathy for the exclusive vendor because this is not an easy thing to have completely nailed down on release day. I don't really fault them because it's very hard work and it's very tricky to pull off exactly right. There may be financial constraints that limit the ability to pay for an outside team of subject matter experts, if you can even find anyone available. If anyone else thinks they can do better and who were throwing stones at someone else's work (probably without knowing what's involved), I'll be over here to answer questions so that you can get your own web store up and running and prove to us how easy it is.

If it sounds like I'm barking at some folks, I probably am and for that I apologize. But I think that maybe some patience for the vendor, who is doing something which is very tricky and not at all easy, might be warranted. Maybe cut them some slack until you've walked in their shoes for a little while.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Got it this morning.... It's absolutely on point, I have a thing for all black.... here's my EDC rotation....

FreeGolf

Post by FreeGolf »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:28 pm
I design and create software systems for a living, which appears to be what caused many of the perceived issues in this case. Software for people like me is not difficult but I do not work with a team of fewer than 5 fellow engineers whose rate is $200+/hour. To ensure that a release like this is done well and doesn't implode (a la the "app" written by Shadow, Inc. and used by the DNC in Iowa earlier this week), it costs money. Lots of money, because again, a team of capable engineers with 100+ years of combined experience isn't cheap.

So I have a lot of empathy for the exclusive vendor because this is not an easy thing to have completely nailed down on release day. I don't really fault them because it's very hard work and it's very tricky to pull off exactly right. There may be financial constraints that limit the ability to pay for an outside team of subject matter experts, if you can even find anyone available. If anyone else thinks they can do better and who were throwing stones at someone else's work (probably without knowing what's involved), I'll be over here to answer questions so that you can get your own web store up and running and prove to us how easy it is.

If it sounds like I'm barking at some folks, I probably am and for that I apologize. But I think that maybe some patience for the vendor, who is doing something which is very tricky and not at all easy, might be warranted. Maybe cut them some slack until you've walked in their shoes for a little while.
Bottom line is, popular exclusives are not new. Its 2020. Spend some money and be better prepared as a business. He knew it wasnt on par for an exclusive release. Site traffic can easily be predicted especially since many have done exclusives successfully. First time blah blah. No sympathy for someone planning to release an extremely popular exclusive and be completely unprepared. Ok so now that hes made all this money and opening a brick and mortar shop, he should be able to upgrade his website right? Something tells me he won't :rolleyes: First thing I'd be doing as a business owner, is making good on my websites error. Proving I'm doing all I can to make a better online shopping experience to all the people who wasted their time. Nope, instead we get a social media update of a new shop hes moving into. Gross.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

jimmyjohnjohn wrote:

Server admin here, and the only server admin on my team. Manage 10-15 sites across a half dozen servers. 4-16k peak, 3-5k daily visits. Managing traffic is a job. If you don't do it, things fail. If you do it right, things don't fail. The likely fault here is the cheap vendor TKJ went with to run the site or incompetence in planning(on dealer/vendor or vendor part).

You cannot sell me that things like this are completely unexpected, or hard to plan for. But you are right, you get what you pay for. Perhaps lesson learned not to bite off more than one can chew.
JMM

Post by JMM »

eRoc wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 pm
jimmyjohnjohn wrote:

Server admin here, and the only server admin on my team. Manage 10-15 sites across a half dozen servers. 4-16k peak, 3-5k daily visits. Managing traffic is a job. If you don't do it, things fail. If you do it right, things don't fail. The likely fault here is the cheap vendor TKJ went with to run the site or incompetence in planning(on dealer/vendor or vendor part).

You cannot sell me that things like this are completely unexpected, or hard to plan for. But you are right, you get what you pay for. Perhaps lesson learned not to bite off more than one can chew.
Cloudflare anyone? [cough]
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

I appreciate the responses and will respectfully address them. I think everyone who responded are not accounting for some challenges which must be overcome in order to have a relatively successful release online release.

It doesn't matter if sprints and exclusives are new or not. A resilient system capable of handling load spikes 6 to 9 orders of magnitude from the mean will still be difficult to implement successfully and the fact that exclusives have existed for a period of time does not suddenly lessen that engineering challenge. The demand, apparently, is that this vendor should engineer a resilient system capable of handling spikes in usage that are 6 to 9 orders or magnitude higher than average that occur 0.0002 of the time. It is certainly possible to design and build such a system, but the cost to do so will quickly go parabolic, which is what you seem to demand the vendor implement in rather cavalier fashion. Again, I create distributed, scalable systems for Fortune 100 companies because they are the only ones who can afford it. Just to get your foot in the door is high 6 figures and these projects can easily reach 7, 8, 9, even 10 figures.

eRoc, what would happen to your environment if, for 0.0002 of the year, your load spiked by a million times where you were flooded with requests competing for read/write access to a single database record? Is your system designed for that? I can go on describing the process, but unless the system is designed to scale and ensure system state is protected, things will get messy quickly and the entire system may become unusable. Designing a system to handle the load that will be experienced 0.0002 of the time is a very costly proposition for a company and is completely outside the realm of expertise for a knife shop. It can be done, as you know, but it's expensive and it's always going to be difficult.

Cloudflare is a content distribution network. There is no way that Cloudflare alone would solve the problems that the vendor experienced. I don't want to be too critical but that shows a lack of understanding about the problem.