Shipping of internal parts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aaronkb
Member
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby aaronkb » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Hey, Sal! I’m new on here and love how involved you are, it’s awesome. Since this is being necro’d...

For many, taking apart and working on their knives is a major part of the hobby. Also, a lot of these knives take quite a beating.

For those two reasons, I feel really strongly that every manufacturer should be willing to ship internal parts. It would make aspects of the hobby much more enjoyable and less stressful.

That being said, I’ve never had a spyderco part break on me. It’s a much bigger deal with Benchmade - I’ve broken an omega spring through normal use and having to send my knife away for a couple weeks when I could have easily replaced the part Myself was pretty infuriating. And even though my Benchmades are great knives, I enjoy them a LOT less now just because that happened once and now I worry about it.

So even though it’s less necessary with Spydercos, it would still be an awesome thing to do for your customers, it would present another advantage over your competition, and it would set a new industry precedent that I’d really appreciate.

To answer your other question,

I own...
A Delica w/Emerson wave
Three Manix 2’s - Blurple S110v, KC cruwear, and BHQ M4
ShamN BHQ M4
PM2 Bento M390
Para 3 earth brown s35vn

No counterfeits

Currently got my eye on the para 3 lw as well.

And I’d absolutely be willing to pay for shipping and even a small cost for the parts themselves.

Thanks!
Aaron

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13026
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby sal » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to our forum.

Thanx much for the; support, input and kind words. Charlynn in customer service has been exceptional in dealing with this issue, even for overseas customers.

sal

User avatar
tap78
Member
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm
Location: Europe PL

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby tap78 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:48 am

sal wrote: Charlynn in customer service has been exceptional in dealing with this issue, even for overseas customers.
I can confirm that!
CQI idea implemented not only in product making but also in customer service.
Thank You all!
My :spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear

User avatar
kadinh
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby kadinh » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:54 am

It's not an internal part, but will Spyderco send me a replacement pivot screw (or a matching pair)? Mine has always been loose on my PM2 and it fell out somewhere? Now I can't use my knife of choice (even over my Sebenza, XM-18, and SMF) since I'm afraid that the blade will come off.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13026
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby sal » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Kadinh,

It would depend on what model and version? Sometimes e would have to see the knife to make that determination. Have you contacted customer service?

sal

User avatar
kadinh
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby kadinh » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 pm

sal wrote: Hi Kadinh,

It would depend on what model and version? Sometimes e would have to see the knife to make that determination. Have you contacted customer service?

sal
thank you for your reply Sal!

I have not contacted them. I remember reading that Spyderco (it might have been another company, my memory isn't great) will not send out parts. I looked online and read through this forum and thought differently. I will contact CS and see what they say. thanks!

PS - for the record, i have the s110v "blurple" PM2

Gideons
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby Gideons » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:49 am

kadinh wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 pm
sal wrote: Hi Kadinh,

It would depend on what model and version? Sometimes e would have to see the knife to make that determination. Have you contacted customer service?

sal
thank you for your reply Sal!

I have not contacted them. I remember reading that Spyderco (it might have been another company, my memory isn't great) will not send out parts. I looked online and read through this forum and thought differently. I will contact CS and see what they say. thanks!

PS - for the record, i have the s110v "blurple" PM2
I will be interested to see what they say. Every time I've contacted Spyderco customer service they've just flatly said they don't ship internal parts no matter the circumstance, end of discussion.

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby bbturbodad » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:54 pm

I finally got bit by the no shipping of internal parts policy. I asked if I could purchase a replacement detent ball for my Smock as the spring shot it out to I have NO IDEA where, but I gave up looking for it after an hour.

Based on this thread I wasn't surprised Spyderco wouldn't let me just purchase the part but I have to wonder if each request is actually considered or is just policy to say no. The reason I ask is because the response I received said they don't ship parts but that I could send my knife in for a free basic sharpening.

It's nice that Spyderco offers free sharpening for those that want/need the service but I just want to buy (and am willing to pay a big premium) a ball bearing. :(

Image
-Turbo

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby ABX2011 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 am

I just received a brand new and authentic Delica that came with one washer. I could tell when looking at the pivot but I opened it up to confirm. Yep, one bronze washer. Contacted Spyderco and was told that they won't send me a washer. Frustrating.
That size washer is apparently not readily available on the internet so the knife would have to be sent in at my cost.

User avatar
bbturbodad
Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 am

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby bbturbodad » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:46 pm

I finally got around to sending in my Smock to replace the ball bearing I lost. It was delivered to Spyderco on Monday and I just received tracking for its return home!

Pleasantly surprised by the quick turnaround. :D
-Turbo

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby MichaelScott » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:32 pm

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 am
I just received a brand new and authentic Delica that came with one washer. I could tell when looking at the pivot but I opened it up to confirm. Yep, one bronze washer. Contacted Spyderco and was told that they won't send me a washer. Frustrating.
That size washer is apparently not readily available on the internet so the knife would have to be sent in at my cost.
If you do some simple google searches you will find knife equipment suppliers (and others) that sell every conceivable bronze washer.

You got a knife with an issue. You could return it. Looking from the other side, since you “opened it up” how would I know you didn’t lose or damage one washer. I’m not saying you did, only now it is impossible to objectively determine.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“Gentlemen, bring out your men.” — T. J. Jackson, Second Manassas, 1862

http://acehotel.blog

Team Watu

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby MichaelScott » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 pm

For those of you new to this thread topic there is another from a couple of years ago that discussss in detail why it is no trivial matter for Spyderco to routinely stock and ship parts on demand. It’s a long and involved discussion which generated a lot of heat, some being downright personal but it does illuminate why something so seemingly simple is actually complex and costly.

Most people won’t find a read it which is too bad since like the latest Terminator it just won’t die.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“Gentlemen, bring out your men.” — T. J. Jackson, Second Manassas, 1862

http://acehotel.blog

Team Watu

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby ABX2011 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:09 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:32 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 am
I just received a brand new and authentic Delica that came with one washer. I could tell when looking at the pivot but I opened it up to confirm. Yep, one bronze washer. Contacted Spyderco and was told that they won't send me a washer. Frustrating.
That size washer is apparently not readily available on the internet so the knife would have to be sent in at my cost.
If you do some simple google searches you will find knife equipment suppliers (and others) that sell every conceivable bronze washer.

You got a knife with an issue. You could return it. Looking from the other side, since you “opened it up” how would I know you didn’t lose or damage one washer. I’m not saying you did, only now it is impossible to objectively determine.
That washer size isn't available from any of the sites I could find. I also contacted a well known knife modder who confirmed that and said in the past he had contacted Spyderco for replacements and they complied.
There are many knife companies who will send out replacement parts for free.

shaztec
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby shaztec » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:20 am

Does spyderco sell knife scales? Sorry I haven't read the whole thread...
_shaztec on instagram

User avatar
AlexRus
Member
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am
Location: Russia, Earth

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby AlexRus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:48 pm

shaztec wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:20 am
Does spyderco sell knife scales? Sorry I haven't read the whole thread...
No, they don't

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby TomAiello » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:12 pm

There are tons available on eBay, though, from people who have replaced their factory scales. I've actually given some of my factory scales away after replacing them.

roxiescarf
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 am

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby roxiescarf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:07 am

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:12 pm
There are tons available on eBay, though, from people who have replaced their factory scales. I've actually given some of my factory scales away after replacing them.
Wondering how much will they be selling those second handed scales.

User avatar
DOUBLE D
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby DOUBLE D » Mon May 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Would a new liner for an Endura due to stripped clip screw hole be under warranty. Or could I buy it

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby MichaelScott » Mon May 04, 2020 6:36 pm

Who did the stripping? If it was you, very likely not. Have you actually read the warranty?
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“Gentlemen, bring out your men.” — T. J. Jackson, Second Manassas, 1862

http://acehotel.blog

Team Watu

User avatar
DOUBLE D
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Re: Shipping of internal parts

Postby DOUBLE D » Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:36 pm
Who did the stripping? If it was you, very likely not. Have you actually read the warranty?
I’m the original owner, so you could say I did in a sense, but I don’t exactly consider it a fault of mine really. I’ve changed multitudes of clips on spyderco knives and this one just won’t bite into the liner like the other Endura’s I’ve changed. It just spins. And not because it’s been over tightened by any means. It just spins when trying to screw it in. I’m not looking for free stuff, I’d be more than happy to purchase the piece I need. But I know spyderco is finicky with sending knife parts, hence the question.

Yes I’ve read the warranty.

I could be misreading your reply but you sound like you are being condescending which I don’t appreciate. I’m a long time spyderco knife user and purchaser, and have bought well over 100 spyderco knives and spent a ridiculous amount of money over the years. All I’m asking for is the info on how or if I could get a part for one of them. If I’m not correctly reading your post then I apologize.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Accutron, Bing [Bot], GrandallK, jdw, Majestic-12 [Bot], VashHash and 23 guests