Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bear71

Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Post by bear71 »

I know there are multiple threads extolling the virtues of the C36 Military but i just wanted to share my journey that has led to becoming a devotee.
I have been a fixed blade/bushcrafty knife user until recently with only a couple of traditional slip joint folders. Through being a member of Bladeforums I became aware of Spyderco and started to learn a lot from reading the posts in the sub-forum and was interested in trying some different steels that aren't available in production fixed blades. I thought the Para 3 would be a good place to start and at that point I still never considered larger folders of interest, I would use a fixed blade for anything over 3 inch. Inevitably a PM2 and Manix 2 quickly followed and the spell was cast. Still the Military seemed way too large to be in my pocket. Anyhoo, a late night internet shopping adventure with the help of alcohol resulted in a blue s90v Military from BBS. The morning after I thought I'd just get it and sell it straight away on the secondary market. Once I got it in hand it was a revelation, it looks much larger than it feels in hand. I rarely carry a PM2 or Manix 2 any more (still appreciate them), it's either a Military or Para 3, I don't feel the need for the in-between size.
It's interesting to see the discussion on a Military 2 with different lock, but for a new fan the current Military gets the job done just fine.

Have you tried a knife you didn't think you would like but been won over?

Cheers, Jules.

The greens and blues (want an orange one!)
Pancake

Re: Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Post by Pancake »

bear71 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm

No.
Every one of my purchases I have evaluated for like a dozen times . I do not buy knives on first sight, I watch a lot if review and I read a lot of info before I make a decision.

Btw, can I say I hate you for owning a Military sprint runs, because I have none? :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Bloke

Re: Military Domination..(of my pocket). What Spydercos have surprised you to become your "go to"?

Post by Bloke »

Hey Jules, I bought a Military not long after joining the Forum because I liked how it looked and all the great things members here had to say.

When it arrived I liked it but reckoned it was huge. Our good brother Evil D suggested I try carrying it in my back pocket and the rest is history. I have four now (S30V, 204P, S110V, REX45) and I’m kicking myself for dilly dallying and missing an M4.

Admittedly, I’ve been carrying a little SE, HB Ladybug for quite a few months now but a Military is always close handy and definitely my favourite large folder.

Still patiently awaiting a Maxamet Military. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My very most carried Spydie is my Millie in 204P.
Those Millies absolutely dominate!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bear71 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:58 pm

It's interesting to see the discussion on a Military 2 with different lock, but for a new fan the current Military gets the job done just fine.

1.) Glad you´re one of those not by all means wanting the great (liner lock) Millie to become yet another comp. lock folder...;)

2.) Concerning your question: Two models come to mind:

Stretch 1

At the time when I got my first Stretch 1, I already had an Endura and Delica, but did know almost nothing about Spyderco, it´s background, history or how certain models were perceived by "knife people" , was not aware of this forum and did not watch reviews and so on.
Just wanted to have a FRN VG10 model, sized between Endura and Delica, the Stretch 1 offered exactly that, but I was not expecting to really like it (at that time I thought it would look a bit strange)
But it "won me over" immidiately. Felt perfect in hand, offered a lot of edge in a very compact package, and the rather "funky" blade shape turned out to be the most versatile I ever had in a folder and very capable.

It was only later that I began to read and learn more about Spyderco, and also that the Stretch in fact is a very "personal" design of Sal Glesser (actually I learned only later who Sal Glesser is... ;) )

Chaparral FRN

When I got this model I was just looking for a small Spyderco I could carry IWB when trail running, just to have a blade on me. I expected it to have inferior ergos due to being so small and thin, and that I would always be worried about damaging it´s super thin 2mm blade...

Boy, real life experience taught me differently!! :eek: :)
Now I love that little thing, it feels perfect and really comfortable and secure in my hand,and I came to value the often times superior cutting performance and still very good strength of thin blade stock even in "hard use" tasks.

What the thin Chap blade did also on the other hand: For me personally thick blade stock in small folders lost almost any appeal.
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I love the Military. I have four of them. My first one I got maybe 20(?) years ago, it’s in 440V. The other three are in S30V (two of them) and S110V. The one I carry most is one of my S30V ones. There’s something about the feeling when cutting with a Military; I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just feels special.

My Police 4 lightweight was giving the Military a run for its money, and while the ‘4 LWT’ is an incredible folder, there is something about the Military’s greater heft while still being fairly lightweight that makes it the greatest big folder for me.

Admittedly, the Military’s not my most-carried knife. My current most-carried Spyderco is my DLC FFG Manix 2. But ever once in a while I opt to carry and use the Military.

Jim
jdw

Post by jdw »

The Military is my favorite model and an absolute work of genius for how smoothly it carries for its size. The 52100 is my personal favorite but I have never met one that I didn't like.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
elena86

Post by elena86 »

This one is the Military to end all Militaries... at least for me. The superb KW exclusive in S90V and Ti/CF framelock handle. I love it so much that I bought a backup. It's probably THE ONE I would keep even if forced to give up my entire knife collection. My PRECIOUS :spyder:

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

James Y wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:31 am
My Police 4 lightweight was giving the Military a run for its money...
My P4 LW has surprised me. I got it because I wanted a knife I could use around my apartment when work needs to be done. I thought the knife would be big enough for larger cutting jobs, but too big to be for a daily carry. Boy was I wrong. I can't state how much I like the knife. It was a real eye-opener. It is not my "go to" because of local knife laws, but it would be if I lived elsewhere.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Straight spine stretch. My go-to "big" folder
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Definitely the Para 3. I was a Stretch/PM2 user for the longest time, and now I sometimes feel they're "too big" to carry to work. I carry a Para 3 every day though.

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
anycal

Post by anycal »

There are those which have been dominating from the very beginning. But there are those which suprise, sometimes long term, sometimes not...

Recently, the Stretch has been in rotation in my ideal sized knife category. I wanted to try the Stretch for a while. I handled both the FRN and G10 versions at SFO and a local shop. So I knew the model would work for me. My preference was the G10. But the straight spine won me over on looks. So, no suprise. But now that I have it, I am enjoying it very much.

Peter
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Military will probably always be my one true love, no matter how much I love other models I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when I pick one up. I really love my Caribbeans though and at least as far as modern SE grinds go I carry them far more than my Militaries these days. Still, I keep the hope that we see a future SE Military with thinner blade grind and shallower ground serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

anycal wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 pm
There are those which have been dominating from the very beginning. But there are those which suprise, sometimes long term, sometimes not...

Recently, the Stretch has been in rotation in my ideal sized knife category. I wanted to try the Stretch for a while. I handled both the FRN and G10 versions at SFO and a local shop. So I knew the model would work for me. My preference was the G10. But the straight spine won me over on looks. So, no suprise. But now that I have it, I am enjoying it very much.

Been a while since I bought a new Spydie, but that pic got me and a straight Stretch sprint is inbound. Had a Super Blue back in the day but let it go, maybe this will be the one.

Have two lefty Militaries, one from each batch. Great model.
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mine always change, and right now I'm on a Ladybug Hawkbill kick, along with the Tasman I modded - thanks to Bloke, PeaceInOurTime, and MeatMan for their "bad" influences.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nate wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm
anycal wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Been a while since I bought a new Spydie, but that pic got me and a straight Stretch sprint is inbound. Had a Super Blue back in the day but let it go, maybe this will be the one.

I am sure you won´t regret getting the Straight Spine Stretch! :)

Though be aware (you´re probably anyway) your superblue Stretch was the discontinued Stretch 1, the SS Stretch is a variant of the Stretch 2 and has a bit different ergos (even BETTER ergos for most, that is...)

Courious how you´ll like it!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I always thought the millie was too big. And I’m not overly fond of liner locks, though to be fair I hadn’t had any well-executed examples. I got into a cruwear kick, love my para3 KC exclusive, and I put a casual bid on a cruwear millie that had the scales rit dyed “wine”. Well, folks must have been put off by the color, cause I won it. I must say I like it quite well, and if it weren’t for work rules I’d probably carry it a whole lot more. It has become my off days go-to. Para 3 and Urban are work day edc.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 am

I am sure you won´t regret getting the Straight Spine Stretch! :)

Though be aware (you´re probably anyway) your superblue Stretch was the discontinued Stretch 1, the SS Stretch is a variant of the Stretch 2 and has a bit different ergos (even BETTER ergos for most, that is...)

Courious how you´ll like it!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. The shallow choil on the og Stretch was on of the reasons I sold it, so I expect the new ergos will work better for me.

In keeping with the topic of this thread, I never expected a slip joint to become the blade I carry the most, but the UKPK dominates. One of the reasons I favor it over the very similar Caly 3 is the deeper choil.
:spyder:
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:26 pm
This one is the Military to end all Militaries... at least for me. The superb KW exclusive in S90V and Ti/CF framelock handle. I love it so much that I bought a backup. It's probably THE ONE I would keep even if forced to give up my entire knife collection. My PRECIOUS :spyder:

I agree with everything you said. I bought a backup as well. :D I was afraid of not being able to buy another if something ever happened to mine.
Today I went with a DLC Military, but the S90V Ti/CF with R.I.L. is hands down my favorite knife. It's almost always with me.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I want a military but Im just waiting on the right sprint or exclusive to catch my eye. The standard model has gotten way too expensive.

I hate that I missed the grey g10 cruwear sprint. Especially for the prices they sold for new. All the secondary market ones are way too expensive.

Just waiting to see what the next military sprint will be.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."