Knife Return and Customer Support- Is this normal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Grimhallow

Knife Return and Customer Support- Is this normal?

Post by Grimhallow »

I recently got a new Para 3, and it has an insane amount of lock stick. Like it hurts your fingers to close because of the resistance. After watching a bladeHQ video showing that half of Spyderco employees customized their knives, I was excited to replace the brown G10 scales with all black spyderco G10 scales. I had replaced the scales and also added a Wiseman Signet Ring, but not made any changes to the mechanisms of the knife.

I sent my knife back in for a warranty evaluation, and it was sent back with no changes.

I called into the support number on my letter, and was told that because "the blade didn't belong in the knife" (I had replaced the scales...) that they couldn't determine what was going on. It didn't look like the knife had even been taken apart. Nobody looked at it. She told me that they might be able to look at it if I sent it back again with the original scales. Fine.

As I was taking apart the knife I noticed this:

https://imgur.com/v72dyjh
https://imgur.com/hzj5yk0

Is this normal? It looks like a manufacturing defect. It's a notch in the tang outside of the ramp.

I'm really frustrated that this was overlooked the first time I sent it in. Is this normal?

*Edit:

Thanks you everyone for the replies. It was actually super helpful. Learning that the notch in the tang is intentional is extremely relieving.
I am going to wait it out a few weeks to see if I can break it in, and if not I'll be sending it in using its original configuration :)
Last edited by Grimhallow on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Knife Return and Customer Support- Is this normal?

Post by 017 »

The notch is normal. It was changed just after the first batch (or so) when the Para 3 was first released. My S30V satin (very first batch) doesn't have the notch, but my S30V DLC (later batch) does.

There has never been an S35VN model with black scales, so it's obvious to Spyderco you've disassembled it/taken it apart. When they saw your knife was an obvious frankenstein, they probably decided not to look at it. I believe Spyderco are within their right to not warrant modified knives, even if it's simply a scale swap.

I had an S110V Paramilitary 2 that had such severe lock stick, you needed to use two hands to unlock it. It eventually sorted itself out and is now fine.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

If the lock stick was that bad out of the box, I would have returned the knife to BHQ as defective, or sent in for warranty support before doing the scale swap or installing an aftermarket part.

I was frustrated when Spyderco's old warranty forbade disassembly, because of the issues I've had with rust on liners on some models. I was glad when that policy changed. I believe that knives should be designed such that they're simple for the end user to disassemble, or at least field strip, to clean the internals and apply rust preventative or lubricant if needed. But I also agree that Spyderco shouldn't be responsible if I mangle the knife out of ignorance or from installing aftermarket parts. I'm glad that on some newer models, Eric Glesser has been doing disassembly and reassembly videos, which are posted to Spyderco's YouTube channel. There's certainly a middle ground that can be reached, and I think Spyderco has gotten there for the most part.
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

One other consideration, changing the scales can in theory affect the mechanism of the knife (if the scales aren't cut perfectly, the lockup could be affected). I imagine that's the reason they couldn't evaluate it, and as others have noted it would have been immediately obvious that the scales were not original to the knife. In your instance, the aftermarket scales clearly aren't a factor, since you had the lock stick from the get go, but obviously Spyderco doesn't know that, and can't really diagnose the problem unless its in the original configuration.

I know its frustrating to have to send it back again, but I'm sure if you send it to them with the original scales on it they'll be able to take care of you.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

If you modify the knife the warranty does not apply. Next time send it in before modding it.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

From the warranty department pont of view, you can't really tell if you just replace the scales, or you swap blade between two knives. The second option could create a lock-up problem, so they can see it as: ,,I frankedmodded two knives together and it is not working good, can you fix it?"

Nothing personal, but for me it is strange that you made cosmetic changes to the knife but you did not address the functional problem - lock stick. To each his own.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

You don’t mention whether it had lock stick before modification. Reinstate it to it’s original spec. If it still has lock stick, send it in.

I don’t think it reasonable to expect them to assess and adjust the aftermarket parts you have fitted.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not to pile on, but I'll just say that I agree with everything that's been said so far regarding your going ahead with modifications on a problematic knife and then expecting Spyderco to service an obviously modified knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I think one major problem with sending in a knife with aftermarket scales is what does Spyderco do if the solution is "replace the whole knife"? Do they then move the scales to the new knife (they probably can't do that mod for legal reasons)? Send back the defective knife and the new replacement (then you have two knives)? Remove the scales and hardware and send that back along with a complete new knife?

I think there are issues with any of these scenarios.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Grimhallow

Post by Grimhallow »

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies!

To answer some questions really quickly;

I went ahead with the modifications because 1. I had heard that the lock stick goes away and 2. The modifications are all easily undone. The scales are official Spyderco scales (just black), and the wisemen ring just drops in. Since I heard Spyderco love to modify their own knives (which is cool), I didn’t think it would be a big deal at all.

I totally understand that they can’t be liable for any damage I make to the knife, and I don’t expect them to fix any damage I might have caused. I just clearly didn’t cause any damage to the knife, and it made me feel like nobody looked at it at all. I love Spyderco, and I guess it hurt me a little to feel like nobody really looked into my issue.

Thanks again for the feedback. Glad to know the “step” on the tang is intentional, but the lock stick remains. Looks like I’m just going to reconfigure it and send it back again. Based on some feedback though maybe I’ll ride it out for another few weeks and see if it goes away.

I’m only really upset because I love the knife and don’t want to be without it for another 2ish weeks- I just want it to work XD

Thanks everybody!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Well if you love it that much it sounds like you need a backup of this model.

Can’t say I blame you for changing scales black is preferred here over some of the less attractive colors like Baby poop brown.

Sounds like you have everything going your way so pull the trigger and get your back up already.

Whenever I get a great design like the Stretch 1 in SE I buy two.